Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 terrible recoil from CVA optima pro >

terrible recoil from CVA optima pro

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

terrible recoil from CVA optima pro

Old 08-27-2006, 03:11 PM

Default terrible recoil from CVA optima pro

my dad just recently purchased a CVA optima pro, and we were out shooting last week a little, and he was havein a hard type getting power belt bullet to go down the last 3 or 4 inches of the barrel and when he shot he said that it kick a lot worse than his other muzzleloader. he is shoot 80 grns. of pyrodex with a 295grn. powerbelt HP, he shoots basically the same set up with his other gun and has no troubles at all with it. any ideas as to what it would be??
Old 08-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: terrible recoil from CVA optima pro

My first concern would be.. was he postive that he was actually seating the powerbelt onto the powder charge and not leaving it an inch or so off the charge. If he was having that kind of problem loading then he has to swab the barrel between each shot, and use a witness mark to make sure all is well in the barrel.

The other things could be just the way he was holding it was different. Did you feel it kicked bad? Was the accuracy good?
Old 08-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya to what cayugad said .i did get to shoot a ML yesterday that had a muzzel brake on it wow! what a difference.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

My guess is he likes his old gun better but does not want to insult you. I may be wrong......
Old 08-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

sorry the last reply from me had nothing to do with this thread It was written for another forum and I posted it here by mistake.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check for burrs or a rough area in that part of the barrel;if thats the problem it causes fouling build up which wedges the PB in tight which causes all or alot more powder to burn before the bullet starts moving. That will make it start under a lot more pressure moving faster = more recoil. Lee
Old 08-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PSEsilverhawk55

my dad just recently purchased a CVA optima pro, and we were out shooting last week a little, and he was havein a hard type getting power belt bullet to go down the last 3 or 4 inches of the barrel and when he shot he said that it kick a lot worse than his other muzzleloader. he is shoot 80 grns. of pyrodex with a 295grn. powerbelt HP, he shoots basically the same set up with his other gun and has no troubles at all with it. any ideas as to what it would be??
Other gun was heavier & more balanced
Other gun had a better recoil pad
Other gun had no crud-ring - so the bullet was properly seated.
Other gun used loose powder - this one pellets perhaps?? (50+30=80)- which may have cracked or broke a pellet or two -- increasing bore pressure??... I dunno!!!

Email someone here who lives closeand bring both over totheir closest range next time they're there. Hard to pinpoint anything without seeing the gun, components/accessories, bullets and shooting habits of the user.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PSEsilverhawk55

PSE Silverhawk55,

It may be that the bore is rough, being that it is a new rifle. I would try a box of lubricated bullets like ballets or PA conicals. I know it really helped my rifle. Like your Dad, the first shots I fired were with Powerbelts and they were difficult to load because of burrs in the bore. After a few ballets, and I do mean it didn't take alot of them, the powerbelts loaded alot easier and chronied much higher velocities. May help, I'd say give that a try. Also, take cayugad's advice regarding the witness mark and be certain that the projectiles are seated properly.

Phil
Old 08-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wrap some 000 steel wool around a jag or bore brush.Lube with light oil.Chuck your rod with Jag in Drill.Run it thru barrel 10-12 times at low speed/medium speed only.Load your round again.Might take 10-12 more passes.
Should correct or at least improve your situation. Good Luck
Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Wrap some 000 steel wool around a jag or bore brush.Lube with light oil.Chuck your rod with Jag in Drill.Run it thru barrel 10-12 times at low speed/medium speed only.Load your round again.Might take 10-12 more passes.
Should correct or at least improve your situation. Good Luck
I know you are a moderator but I just can't sit here and believe that is the right thing to do.

Anyone out there want to tell me I am a fool? It would not be the first time.

Quick Reply: terrible recoil from CVA optima pro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.