Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I can't figure this out >

I can't figure this out

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I can't figure this out

Old 08-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I can't figure this out

Tried 90 grains 3fGoex with the 385 GP at 100 yards. Below is the target. Its a6 shot group. It began with a 20-25 wind coming from behindanda littleleft toleft to right. After the first three shots, I clean the rifle with a bore brush. Betwee each shot, I run1 spit patch and 1 dry patch. Spent enough time cleaning between 3 and 4 that when I shot #4 the wind had pretty much let and the sun was well into setting.

Shot #4 thru 6 were like a separate grouping, and while I can account for the leftward placement of POI from the wind letting, I don't seem to be able to explain the rise in the POI. With the wind coming from behind me, I kinda figured that this would lower the air speed resulting in higher POIs. But what happened was exactly the opposite.So then I thought, maybe going into the wind could raise POI on a steep trajectory where the bullet acted somewhat like an airfoil with angle of attack. I just don't know.

Any ideas?
Old 08-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I can't figure this out

Here is target:

Old 08-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

I swear to you I ain't lying but I notice vertical stringing with all rifles. The more I clean between shots the less I notice it but your pic is classic as to what I see. Your grid looks like 1/4" gragh so all them are kill shots.

Nice photo and info. That rifle is a real shooter.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:24 PM

im a rookie ta BP, but i done some shootin in wind that was strong enough ta disrupt walkin.

i sighted in with the wind at my back and my truck fer cover (open prairie)

i rechecked the scoped rifles (22cal) a few weeks later (much less wind)

elevation was on, and onlywindage needed ajustment

early
Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

This is one of my pics of vertical stringing.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe thats it.

It is a 1/2" grid. Target is on a 11"X17" paper and I had to reduce it so that the fax could email it. With open sights at 100 yards, I need a big target.They are still kills though.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

Almost identical to your target.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I seen rifles shooting the exact same load for the exact same distance shoot what would appear to be two totally seperate groups. I have no idea why they do that, sometimes they just do that. Looks like you have a good shooter there.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter
Nice photo and info. That rifle is a real shooter.
Thanks PB. Its my NEF SS Sidekick which did that. To bad its not a prettier rifle to boot, like that beautiful scout of yours.

Phil
Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you, it is a pretty rifle and I posted the wrong pic the one I wanted to post showed the sequence of shots but I could not find it I hoped you assumed that the shots got higher because that is what happened. It proves if you you want to be a one shot wonder you have to clean all out between shots w/modern stuff.

Quick Reply: I can't figure this out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.