Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hmmm.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hmmm.

Said I wasn't going to change my sights any, but I removed the insert and paint it flourescent orange and POI was changed when it was reinserted. Also wanted a little more height in the arc (3" at apex)so that 120 yards should come in about 2" low. Used 75 grains and 5 grain filler, 385 GP. Think I got her right on, 2.75" high at 50 yards.

This is where the hmmmm begins. I normally wouldn't do this, but the sun was settin and I just felt like goofin off. So I didn't reset the target but started trying to hit rocks on the hill side. Honestly I couldn't tell where I was hittin.

Then I thought,I'm gonna try 10 grains filler. Aimed at a rock, squeezed, and hey, that rifle had some more recoil. Now I know that the extra filler is additional weight, about 5 grains, but seemed to me that it was like when I loaded 85 grains. So I did another and again I get the same impression. I think I got a boost in velocity but I didn't have chrony set so I don't know.

Then I thought, what the hay, I'm gonna try the APP 3f again. This time removed as much of the lube as I could. Load 75 grains APP, 10 grain filler, and the de-lubed bullet. Now the bullet still had a glossy look to it and a little lube, but most lube was gone. Fired and "hello" got some recoil from the APP finally. I think better than the BP. Must have been good velocity.

I'll try to get some chrony's on the 10 grain filler loads soon. Phil
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hmmm.

Very interesting, if I remember right you were using ground oatmeal as a filler, is that correct?

I haven't tried loading like that but it might be worth a try. Only thing I would worry about is how you would load for a quick follow up shot in the woods if you needed it.

Please post your results, both velocity and accuracy.

Thanks
Old 08-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

Very interesting, if I remember right you were using ground oatmeal as a filler, is that correct?

I haven't tried loading like that but it might be worth a try. Only thing I would worry about is how you would load for a quick follow up shot in the woods if you needed it.

Please post your results, both velocity and accuracy.

Thanks
Yes, its oatmeal that I'm using. To follow-up quickly maybe just the regular larger charge. For example, if 75gr powderand 10gr filler yield velocities of 85 grain powder, one may be able to follow with 85 gr. powder only. Also thought about a premeasured charge where the filler gos in first, then the powder, then a plug which prevents the contents from sploshing and mixing. Then one would just remove the plug and pour the contents powder first.

Old 08-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I too am going to be trying some of the fillers you mention although I have cornmeal which is more dense. I felt it will produce better results and makes a good batter for fish..
Old 08-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have been muzzleloading for about 25+ years, with BP and modern substitutes, with round ball, conicals, and sabots,and I have to confess that I have never heard of this notion of using a "filler" before. What are the reasons behind it and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I too am going to be trying some of the fillers you mention although I have cornmeal which is more dense. I felt it will produce better results and makes a good batter for fish..
Indeed it does. We don't have any cormeal at the house so I've been using the ground oatmeal. Well we do have some cornmeal in some fish batter mix, but I don't want to push the mrs over the edge and I'm not so sure if the "special blend of spices" is going to help.

I'm looking forward your reports.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DocHunter

I have been muzzleloading for about 25+ years, with BP and modern substitutes, with round ball, conicals, and sabots,and I have to confess that I have never heard of this notion of using a "filler" before. What are the reasons behind it and what are the advantages and disadvantages?
DocHunter,

Just my humble opinions but I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

The reasons for filler (also the advantages) are:

1. Gain more efficiency from a given charge (a higher average muzzle energy). This is accomplished by restricting blow-by around the projectile.

2. Achieve tighter velocity distribution. This is accomplished by more consistent use of breech gases. While not important at short range with fast projectiles, can be with slower projectiles at more distant range.

3. Inhibit bore erosion. By preventing some portion of the blow-by, less erosion of the bore occurs prolonging the quality and accuracy of the barrel. (just my theory)

The disadvantages of filler.

1. An extra step in loading. (I think thats it)

Here are some thoughts on different types of filler. Rather than listing disadvantages, I list the advantages only.

Ground Oatmeal:

1. Light weight adding less ejecta weight having the effect of reducing its contribution to recoil and limiting the effects, caused by the weight of filler, which lower the efficiency of the charge.

2. Soft so potentially less abrasive.

Cornmeal.

1. Denser giving more filler per unit volume.

2. Easy to meter from a flask.

I've not done any comparisons of the two and really don't know how the effects of each may differ in terms of performance.

Phil

Old 08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also never used fillers but now I'm curious. I may give it a try. One other question - When I'm hunting, I carry a couple of speed loaders with me. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to add filler to the speed loaders, unless I put enough filler into it between the powder and bullet to avoid 'mixing' while walking.
I may just try filling one with my powder charge, add filler and bullet then shake the crap out of it and see how much powder/filler mix I get.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Now I am curious about the mechanics of using filler. How much, loaded after propellant and before bullet, etc? And any other details needed for use.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DocHunter

Now I am curious about the mechanics of using filler. How much, loaded after propellant and before bullet, etc? And any other details needed for use.

Drop your powder charge then tap the butt of the rifle on your shoe to settle and level the powder charge in the bore. After that I add 10 grains (actually I have a very small, veryold,powder measure scoop which comes out just under 9 grains) and add that on top of the powder. Again, tap the butt of the rifle on your shoe a little to settle/level the cornmeal or oatmeal. After that set your conical or roundball. Also with a filler I use a little harder seating pressure.

When you ignite the powder the explosion pressuresforce against the cornmeal/filler compressing it against the base of the projectile. It acts as a buffer of sorts, not allowing as much of the ignition pressures to escape past the projectile. The results are, they claim better barrel pressures, a more uniform movement of the projectile, and some even claim that the filler will "clean the barrel" if you will a little on the way out.

I want to try;
powder, single wad card, filler, wad card, then conical.
powder, single wad card, filler, then conical.
powder, filler, conical

on my next outing. Today I might have to cast up some more bullets, and conicals. Friend brought their rifles and children over the other day and we shot off a large supply of my home casted conicals and roundball...

Quick Reply: Hmmm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.