Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I rediscovered Borebutter this weekend. >

I rediscovered Borebutter this weekend.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I rediscovered Borebutter this weekend.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default I rediscovered Borebutter this weekend.

I finally got a chance to shoot my new flintlock and the moosemilk patched balls were really hard to load so before switching patch material or ball size I changed my lube to good old T/C borebutter like I use to use and the balls loaded slick as anything. You know what the groups shrunk a bit as well.

With the new FoxRidge rifle the moosemilk was very hard to start and push down the bore. I was using a Hornaday .490 ball with the walmart blue striped pillow ticking which I think MICS out around .018. But it is a new bore and needs to be brocken in. The difference in loading was extreme though the borebutter loaded and shot better and I could just keep shooting without cleaning (again).

So why did I quit using this stuff?
Old 08-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I rediscovered Borebutter this weekend.

Beats me, I used it for many years still do for the PRB and the Revolver Its almost as good as Spermoil and replaceable. I perodicly scrub out the bore with boiling water and citrus soap put it in the oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour wipe with borebutter and we are ready for the oncoming year. I have read about a lot of people having problems but I have used it ever since they came out with it without any of those problems so I guess I just think its new people to the sport that have not learned all the ins and outs yet. I seen one fellow at the range filling the back end of a plastic sabot with it. I don't think I would do that! Lee
Old 08-06-2006, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter
Borebutter....
So why did I quit using this stuff?
It's hard to beat for sure...
For weekend range trips duringthe cold dry low humidity months of winter, I do switch to Hoppes No9 BP Plus as it's 'wetter', but the other 9-10 months of the year, it's Natural Lube 1000 all the time
Old 08-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always liked the bore-buttered pillow tickers. I've been using the Permatex-patch latelyonly because it's three times cheaper.

I made-up another patch lube today. Will be trying it in a couple of weeks. It's 70% water & alky -- 15% Ballistol and 15% Napa soluble cutting oil. Put it in a small spray bottle & sprayed 30-40 patches today. I will let them sit for two weeks in a Skoal can.

This is the 2nd time I bought some Skoal -- poured out the tobacco & used the can for patches. It's the same thing I do with the small spray bottles filled with car scent. I always dump the scent out -- then use the sprayer for swabbing.

If the Ballistol/Napa Oil doesn't work, I'm going to try Roundball's Hoppes #9 BP Plus. I've been eyeing that stuff as a patch lube for years.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Dominant Buck

I use Altoids tins. I can at least enjoy the candy...
Old 08-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

dont have to tell you all..bore butter is nasty when weather here in pa. gets below freezing with PATCH/RB.using maxi-balls, i had no major problems..i dont have to use that bore butter now below 32 degrees as i am using powerbelts now.if i shoot a rb in cold, as rb said, i use hoppes blackpowder lube on my patch and no bore butter in bore.i think your permatex might be a good lube in cold for rb and leave bore butter home.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

"...Hoppes #9 BP Plus. I've been eyeing that stuff as a patch lube for years..."
It's incredible stuff...
I ran across a little place going out of business...he had 40 of those white Hoppes plastic bottle of No9 BP Plus...bought all 40 bottles for $3.00 each...have about 30 bottles more than I need but taking them all was the only way I could get the low price and figured I could pass on the rest for the same low price...if anybodywants a few bottles, send me a PM...can probably fit 6-8 bottles in one of those priority mail flat rate boxes and ship anywhere in the 48 states for$8
Old 08-07-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doese that Hoppes freeze to your bore in the winter? I might get some to try in cold weather.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never opened the Hoppes to reveal what's inside, but I heard it is a product very similar to T/C 13. That one doesn't freeze in overnight 20ish degree temps. I recall that from my earlieryears muzzleloading. Anything colder than that won't see me outdoors with a gun anymore - unless it's a shotgun hunting rabbits for a couple of hours or-so max.

I might think differently about staying out there -- if I had some private land access.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Doese that Hoppes freeze to your bore in the winter? I might get some to try in cold weather.
I've never been out in temps that cold long enough to know...I doubt it freezes as it says it's ingredients include Kerosene...what I've found that it's outstanding for is shooting long range sessions in low humidity, dry weather conditions.

Being a liquid lube, the patches are more dampthana Natural Lube 1000 patch, and even in super dry conditions I can still shoot the entire range session without wiping between shots...amazing stuff, and at the steal I got it for, it's doubly fantastic

Quick Reply: I rediscovered Borebutter this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.