Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Any Experiences With American Pioneer Powder >

Any Experiences With American Pioneer Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any Experiences With American Pioneer Powder

Old 08-06-2006, 07:25 AM

Default RE: Any Experiences With American Pioneer Powder

A buddy of mine had a jug and we both tried it ,my only compaint is the way it's packaged- there seems to be a lot of broken and chipped "pellets" and that would me think every charge is different..
Old 08-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Spike

I'm trying my first pound of APP2f and I find it very clean burning and very light recoil, other than that it will not work out of my powder flask and it seems as though my Hawkin rifle is the only gun I own that groups with it. I does seem low in power to me .
Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well those that do not have a chrony of any sort need to realize that the weight of the powder adds to recoil and that APP powders are not of the heaver type. Acorrding to the chrony and please remember their are things like the tightness and weight of projectile that affect this, I get this place ment from fast to slowest.
Black Mag
Pinnacle
Gold
APP
Prydrox
Black
Now as for how important that is lets see your priority list, heres mine.
Accuracy
noncorrosive
good ignition
clean enough to get 2 & 3 shots in hunting situation without cleaning and with good accuracy
Old 08-06-2006, 01:48 PM

I`ve tried it and didn`t like it- the accuracy or the residue it left. I`ve tried them all and get the best results with Black Mag 3. It shoots great with the least residue(very easy and quick clean-up) with excellent accuracy. I shoot a T/C Omega 50 cal., 100 grains Black Mag 3, 300 grain sabots, various brands, and get 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards consistantly.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest gripe I hear with Black Mag III is jug-to-jug inconsistencies. Another gripe is sometimes opening the jug & finding your powder has turned into a large rock.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:21 PM

Yeah, Black Mag 3 does get clumpy. I just pour it into a gallon ziplock bag and crush it up. I`ll deal with this, as good as it shoots in my gun. It all comes down to personal preference and what works best for the individual.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

When it gets rocky, spread it out thinly on a covered table & let it dry in a non-humid environmentbefore putting it back in the jug. That sub-powder, much like real blackpowder, can become moisture-contaminated and re-dryed with supposedly no ill effects. How true that is - I don't know!
Old 08-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

When it gets rocky, spread it out thinly on a covered table & let it dry in a non-humid environmentbefore putting it back in the jug. That sub-powder, much like real blackpowder, can become moisture-contaminated and re-dryed with supposedly no ill effects. How true that is - I don't know!
I know its true for Black Powder. Water is used in mixing the ingredients of black powder. If water is used in the mixing of subs I don't see why that wouldn't be true.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:05 PM

I dont think the APP sticks are for crushing. Never heard or read that. They are suppose to load like 777 or pyrodex pellets but i dont really care for them. I have tried them and they just need to be more cylyndrical and not the odd shape they are. Break and chip too easy. I read the shape is because of hogdons patent on pellets. Now I have seen some new Goex pellets or pre measure loads in compressed form in an ad that says something about crushing them. If you have to crush them , then why not just measure out regular ol loose charges. How do you know to what degree you would be breaking up those charges each time to get consistancy in your loads.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmericanPioneer

I dont think the APP sticks are for crushing. Never heard or read that. They are suppose to load like 777 or pyrodex pellets but i dont really care for them. I have tried them and they just need to be more cylyndrical and not the odd shape they are. Break and chip too easy. I read the shape is because of hogdons patent on pellets. Now I have seen some new Goex pellets or pre measure loads in compressed form in an ad that says something about crushing them. If you have to crush them , then why not just measure out regular ol loose charges. How do you know to what degree you would be breaking up those charges each time to get consistancy in your loads.
APP,

Thinkyour are right about that. I was thinking that one was to use them the same as the pinnacle EZ-loads, but then, I guess APP wanted to hold Goex's hand behind its back by giving there EZ-loads one less feature than the "sticks". The shape and even the names of "sticks" and "EZ-loads" are becauseHodgdonisentitled tothe proprietary use of the word "pellets". The shape is covered by a design patent while the word "pellet" by a Trade name or Trademark copywrite.

As much concern as people have with "air space", I can't imagine why anyone would want to use APP sticks. Also, I really dofeel that their ballistics w/regard to the sticks is nota "true and accurate" representation for most folks. I just can't believe it can produce the samevelocities as Triple Seven looseon a volume basis. Now if the Sticks are 50 grains on a weight basis, then that would explain it. On the other hand, Hodgdon tends to underestimate velocities with its published ballistics, in my experience with the chrony.

I used lubricated full-bore conicals when I tried 3f APP. The results were quite disappointing. I found APP to be dismally weak with them, on the order of 50 to 60 percent of black powder. The shop owner who sold me thepowder told me that if I removed the lubricant (and quit worrying about velocity), i would be pleased with the results. I haven't tried that yet but intend to later and of course, the chrony will be there.

As far as consistency, I don't expect to get narrow distributions of velocity with APP loose, (let alone crushed sticks)but I may be surprised when I try a few new things. I would really like for APP to work in my Sidekick, sure would be nice to load one shot after another without having to remove a crudded in breech plug at the range.

Quick Reply: Any Experiences With American Pioneer Powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.