Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cap and Ball for Deer? >

Cap and Ball for Deer?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cap and Ball for Deer?

Old 08-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cap and Ball for Deer?

44 cal 240 XTP and 60 gr FFFG
Well dang, that's just about a rifle load!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Catus Magnus

44 cal 240 XTP and 60 gr FFFG
Well dang, that's just about a rifle load!
Yeah, that's the lightest load I can use legally too.I have my choice ofeither a240 XTPor a 260 gr Knight lead bullet.My powder choices are60 or 70 gr of FFFG with the 240 and 70 or 80 with the 260 gr bullet. Illinois limits us to loads with ballistic data from the manufacturer for ML handguns. I only use 777 so my choice is down to one load because I'm told 60 gr of FFFG 777 is max according to Knight. Fortunately the load shoots well enough, 2" at 50 yds off a rest. Just gotta let em get a little closer is all. It's a kicker though. The 2X scope I have on it helps some with the recoil.

The 60 grFFFG 777,180 XTP load shoots an inch at 50 yds with much less recoil.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Whitehair

Okay, Ive heard mixed reviews on this, but I'll keep it short and sweet...
Is a cap and ball revolver (lets say .44)a legitimate hunting weapon for deer? Assuming proper shot placement, and a close range can you do it cleanly?

Thanks all...
No... unless it's a magnum ball & cap like the Walker below-- then I suspect your range may still be limited tounder 25 yards. A minimum of 500 fps issupported whenhuntingthin-skinned Michigan whitetailswith heart/lung shots.Hitting a nice chunk ofbone?... ya' should havenear 1000fps minimum.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=&rid=&indexId=cat20817 &navAction=push&navCount=3&parentType= index&parentId=cat20817&id=0012637
Old 08-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

As a lot have stated, it is minimal at best. Now the use of the Walker Colt which allows a much larger charge, the Ruger Stainless will also take a stronger charge could be an option. There are also some of the single shot models like the Traditon's black powder hunting pistol which I think you can take up to 70 grains of powder which would work. The point is we all know even a .22 caliber short will kill a deer if the range is right and you place the bullet in the rifle place. The same would hold true for these revolvers. Up close, well placed shot, should equal dead dear. Although I would be ready to track some also.

I will tell you they can knock a pig down to the ground long enough for you to allow a throat cut. We tried it out on the farm... Was kind of exciting actually.
Old 08-04-2006, 07:07 AM

Thanks for all the input guys...For now she'll stay holstered.
Thanks again guys
Old 08-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wolfhound, that's pretty impressive from a 12" barrel!
Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Wolfhound, that's pretty impressive from a 12" barrel!
I wasvery surprised when I chronied it. I didn't expect much either since I was hoping for around 700 ft lbs at 50 yds. It's gotta be the triple seven and 209 primer giving me the extra velocity.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pglasgow, well its not legal for deer here inAR supposed to have a 9 inch barrel.But I can tell you that they work fine on wild boar I have used my rugar for that dropped both on the spot with a shot about 2 inches behind the ear. Used a round ball and 40gr P and it left a nice exit hole both times. Lee
Old 08-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

I just checked the Michigan reg's and they say you can use any black powder (or BP sub) muzzleloading rifle or pistol for deer. No size restrictions.
Kinda funny, they restrict CF handguns to .35 cal or larger, but no restrictions on BP.
Oh well, we've always known our DNR doesn't always do things according to logic .

Old 08-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Pglasgow, well its not legal for deer here inAR supposed to have a 9 inch barrel.But I can tell you that they work fine on wild boar I have used my rugar for that dropped both on the spot with a shot about 2 inches behind the ear. Used a round ball and 40gr P and it left a nice exit hole both times. Lee
Yeah, i reckon so. An arrow in the same spot would probably dropped 'em on the spot too. Maybe even a .22 LR, same shot location and a .22 LR has taken alot of deer too, though maybe the .22 bullet wouldn't be able to pass through like an arrow would. That was some good shooting by the way. Phil

Quick Reply: Cap and Ball for Deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.