Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barrel crown

Old 07-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default barrel crown

i wasat a large sporting goods store were there were a number of
muzzle loaders .i was looking in the bore and the is a resest area ,T/C
calls it the ez-loader, but others have it as well .the thing that caught my attention was that in all most all of the ones that i checked it was machined off of center. knowing what i do about the muzzle crown of a rifle it would seem to me that more attention should be given to this critical area. now i didn't get to look down the bore of a white.so i have to wonder does the white have that ez-loader thing ? I'm thinking of taking my encore in and having that part of the barrel cut off . what do you think good idea?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: barrel crown

I heard a lot of crap about the bores being off center, Frist off if any of them are you could tell immedatly because they would shoot all over the place secondly I used to build varmit rifles and I built my own compitition muzzle loader and some custom Hawken rifles and I still have my measuring tools,so I measured my own Omega and it is with in 1/ 10,000 of center so untill I see a bad one I will keep the salt shaker handy. As far as other brands are concerned I have seen spanish made barrels I have had to rebutton several and tell two people what they had had a serious flaw to send it back. I have never work on a TC or a Knight that had a problem of a serious nature that was not caused buy the operator.
I suggest that you measure it before you start chopping,then if it really does have a problem send it back to TC. Lee
Old 07-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chopping off the QLA voids your full-lifetime warranty on the barrel. Right now, you can wear-out that barrel by shooting it too much& T/C will replace it free-of-charge.

I love the QLA. No need to be extra careful cleaning -- no need to discard my crown-damaging stainless ramrod with that QLA there. If I had an accuracy concern, T/C Inc. would hear about it & I would send it in for an inspection.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I heard a lot of crap about the bores being off center, First off if any of them are you could tell immediately because they would shoot all over the place secondly I used to build varmint rifles and I built my own competition muzzle loader and some custom Hawken rifles and I still have my measuring tools,so I measured my own Omega and it is with in 1/ 10,000 of center so until I see a bad one I will keep the salt shaker handy. As far as other brands are concerned I have seen Spanish made barrels I have had to rebutton several and tell two people what they had had a serious flaw to send it back. I have never work on a TC or a Knight that had a problem of a serious nature that was not caused buy the operator.
I suggest that you measure it before you start chopping,then if it really does have a problem send it back to TC. Lee
shoot all over the place . that has a familiar sound to it.as of yet i have found but one projectile that even comes close to what ya could call accurate, power belts are a joke to this gun. and dont even think that a buffow bullet will work,evenshooting from50 yds i still dont know were there hitting.
the barrel has been sent in and came back withno improvement so why go through that again .why not just fix it and be done with it.
I'm not complaining about TC warranty its there quality control that i have a problem with.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

What did T/C say about it? What led them to believe the rifle shoots within specs?

Did you request someone higher-up at T/C look at it.... who besides a gun tech did you deal with there?

Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

TC says use the shock wave.well go figure that.but why does the shock wave work were the power belts dont.
after shooting it several times there is a wear pattern in the ez-loader.were the res ado is rubbed off and its only in that one spot. what can it be but out of center?
Old 07-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cataway

TC says use the shock wave.well go figure that.but why does the shock wave work were the power belts dont.
after shooting it several times there is a wear pattern in the ez-loader.were the res ado is rubbed off and its only in that one spot. what can it be but out of center?
1)After shooting what several times... the Powerbelt or the gun?
2)What T/C rifle is this?
3)What grain sizeof Powerbelt?
4)What powder & how many grains?

Please number your answers 1 to 4.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem as noted by the original poster DOES exist. My 209x45 Encore went from a scattergun to a very accurate rifle after removal of the QLA and recrowning. Your mileage may vary.

Not advising anyone else to do the same, just telling what it took to cure my rifle's woes.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:35 PM
BS

Have you contacted TC, to see if they will do it for you? That way you will not void the warranty.............the crown is the most important part of accuracy, next to good rifling................I prefer a good radiused crown, not a cone or a free -bored muzzle.

This is how I cut mine, for round balls or slugs.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cataway

It does sound likeQLAcould beoff-center. Can you seeif it is off center visually, i.e. which side of QLA is closer to the breech? How does this relate to the where residue is rubbed off? It seems that T/C, after having received it for warranty, would be equipped to verify the QLA is offcenter, I can't think of any good reason for them to return it without fixing it.

Does anyone know how they would "fix" the problem? New barrel with good QLA? OR recrown the same barrel?

Happy Hunting, Phil

Quick Reply: barrel crown

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.