Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patches

Old 07-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Patches

What are some good factory made patches? I wan't a patch that will hold up well and have a good lubricant. Now, I have some muzzleloader originals with Natural lube 1000. I think if I keep using these I will be fine but they are not holding up very well. Would everything change if I started to use TC Pillow Ticking bore butter patches? I do not understand how TC pathes are for 54-56calor 58cal. The ones I have are good for all of those calibers not just 54-56 and other patches for 58. I would like to use the same patches when I get my 58cal. Please help me out here.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Patches

Note: I wan't to stay with .015 thickness. Maybe I could just use a wad.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ox-Yoke are the best patches& remain the same high qualitysince the company was merged. Patches thicker than .010 that don't hold up need a better lube (or) need the burrs removed in the rifling (or) the powder charge is too hot.

Wonder-Lube or Bore Butter-lubed patches perform among the best. Here is a source belowfor a few options. I get the smooth unlubed cotton .015-018s - then use Permatex Hand Cleaner for lube. Both the Bore Butter & Permatex lubed stand up real well to 777 FFF. A few hours ago, I purchased some Swiss FFF and Schuetzen FFF -- looking forward to some range visits real soon to test the powders and patch performances with thesepowders that I've never used before.

http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/patches.htm#oyo
Old 07-24-2006, 03:12 PM

I believe mine are wonder lube and I knoware made of pillow ticking. My brother gave them to me bust Ilost the tag attached to them showing company manufactureand thickness. The pillow ticking patchis tough(tightly woven).I startedshooting them in my .54 TC Firehawk last yearwith 100 grains of APPwith no burn through. I was using some of the gold roundballs from Remington for .54 caliber. I picked some of the patchesup at the range after being firedand they just showed some black in the center and very little of that. I had no cutting or shredding. I could almost usethem again. I was getting real good groups too.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sharp...I use Ox-Yoke in my .40 and .54...and lube with SnoSeal.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

sharp, with a wad under the patch/ball ,you could use your patchs over again.i use pt.018 patchs with bore butter on them.i am no rb shooter, i just got back into it because of all you folks on here. i am hunter not shooter but am excited to get back into rb shooting.i think that hand cleaner may be a good lube and may not cause problems in bore as bore butter can IF not cleaned out at end of day
Old 07-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might try wads. Wool or felt will it matter? I can get felt easier than wool.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

TC patches lubed with Bore utter have always performed well for me , I shoot round ball a lot more than sabots .
Old 07-25-2006, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

" I picked some of the patchesup at the range after being firedand they just showed some black in the center and very little of that.I could almost usethem again. "

That's exactly how they should look - like you could use them again!
Old 07-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sharp...What type of problems are you having with your patches??? Are they burning through??? Or is the rifling cutting them??? Can you post a pic of a fired patch....

In my .54 flinter with a Rayle barrel...I shoot .530 cast balls...with a .015 patch lubed with SnoSeal...I can start the ball with my finger and it shoots 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with 80grs FF...If I go to a .020 patch...the rifling cuts the patch and the groups open up....If I go to 100-120 grs FF then the patches start to burn through...I remedy this with some hornets nesting between the powder and ball....

Quick Reply: Patches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.