Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

musket caps

Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM

Default musket caps

does anybody still use musket caps. i use them on my black diamond and like them but my local wally worlds dont have them.if anybody still uses musket caps where are you finding them at. thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: musket caps

I still buy mine from Wal Mart. In fact last year when they had their end of the season sale, I got four tins of them at $2.00 a tin...
Old 07-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just stocked up on5 tinsof Remington #11 caps when they wen't on sale for .99 cents. When those and my one tin of Dynamite nobel 1075+ caps are out I am going to buy a nipple and try some musket caps out.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pond50

does anybody still use musket caps. i use them on my black diamond and like them but my local wally worlds dont have them.if anybody still uses musket caps where are you finding them at. thanks
I noticed some at a Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday. If you have one nearby, call them. Theymight stock them. If they don't, ask them where to get them or where to get black powder. Anyone who carries black powder, likely carries them also.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 07-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never had much luck with musket caps. They always seem to fall-off the nipple. Tried a couple of designs -- that didn't help. Now I stickwith Dynamit Nobel RWS 1075 caps. I buy them by the case.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

pond50

I still have a few tins of the musket caps, but I really do not use them that much anymore. I have switched to #11 mag caps, specifically the Nobel 1075+ caps.

For years everyone has said that the "Musket Cap" was hotter than #11's and that was true until the development of the #11 mag cap which (in my belief and tests)truly is an equivelent if not hotter.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pond50

You may have to order some, from an outfit like Dixie Gun Works or Cabela's.

I still use them just because they are much easier to manipulate with cold fingers!

"For years everyone has said that the "Musket Cap" was hotter than #11's and that was true until the development of the #11 mag cap which (in my belief and tests)truly is an equivelent if not hotter."

I agree! The musket cap is no longer needed for better ignition!

Old 07-24-2006, 11:19 AM

I still use them in my Black Diamonds for the same reason - easier to maniplulate in cold weather, or when an 800 lb. bull elk is down and thrashing on the ground while you are trying to reload. I use the lathe to cut a fine groove in the nipple right where the bottom ofthe caphas tension. That, combined with a light pinch of the cap's petals, seems to make the cap stay on pretty well. There are readily available around here.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

With a capper for #11 caps #11's can be really easy to work with. I have a brass Tedd Cash Capper from Cabelas and it works really well. I guess I might just stick with #11 caps. CCI Magnums, Dynamite Nobel 1075+, and the new Remington caps should ignite my black powder with no problem. I really believe these new Remington caps are just as good as the Dynamite Nobel 1075+ and the CCI Magnums.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, if Dynamite Nobel uses the same formula for the #11's and musket's then they must be the same temperature but the musket must have more flame volume.

Quick Reply: musket caps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.