Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What Buffalo Bullet? >

What Buffalo Bullet?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Buffalo Bullet?

Old 07-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Buffalo Bullet?

ORIGINAL: BS

My slug shooter is a 54 with a 1-36 twist that shoots BB 460s.......90FF is the most accurate load...........one of the secrets to shooting BB is, the barrel maker sent me the extra lenght of barrel to make a swedger with. With a couple of wraps with a mallet, I can have a BB bore size. You just have it spin them on the bore till the groves align, then down they go.
Cool! You know I've though about doing the same thing, but I haven't figured out how to get the extra length of barrel. Maybe I'll call NEF about that. Nice to know its working for you.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-16-2006, 12:06 PM
BS

pqlasgow,

If you pull your plug and insert a long rod up from the breech, all you need is to make the top punch, and do them in your barrel. If they make an improvement, then get the new pc. of barrel.

Bruce
Old 07-16-2006, 02:51 PM

i used to have a.50 Renegade, 1:48 twist. It liked the 295 powerbelts and got the job done great for elk/ deer. Ive had bad experiences with the solid lead conicals and just wont use them anymore. Especially the mini's.. Never use them again! Get a box of 295grain powerbelts and give them a try and see how you like them. Ive used them for years and wont use another bullet.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 PM
BS

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

What Buffalo Conical do you think would be better: The 435gr Round Nose Hollow Base, or the 460gr Round Nose Flat base? Cheaper Than Dirt has the 435gr for around 8 dollars and some odd cents. The do not have the 460gr and more so if you know of any cheap places with the 460gr let me know. I have a 1-48" twist Renegade. This conical would be used for elk. I know the 435gr would do the trick but the 460gr might give me some more penetration and momentum. I know both of these conicals will do really good on elk. I might just go with the 435gr since it is cheap and should do good. What do you all think? I would like to try the 460gr if I could find it for around 10 dollars.
Sharp shooter, how do the 435 group for you? I just found two, and they have the small cavity in the back, I was thinking they were simular to the Hornady's..............this is what I would try..........buy some MMP High Pressure .54 sabots and cut the fingers off........use themto protect the hollow base, they may help with your 100 grain loads. Just a thought.

edit: or lubed felt, card or fiber stock, just protect the base!
Old 07-16-2006, 08:08 PM
BS

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

i used to have a.50 Renegade, 1:48 twist. It liked the 295 powerbelts and got the job done great for elk/ deer. Ive had bad experiences with the solid lead conicals and just wont use them anymore. Especially the mini's.. Never use them again! Get a box of 295grain powerbelts and give them a try and see how you like them. Ive used them for years and wont use another bullet.
Can you tell us the rest of the story?
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 07-17-2006, 10:20 PM

Okay i was 15, first year muzzleloading. My first muzzleloader. cva blazer .45 inline. TC mini ball in 285 grains. 75grains pyrodex. got a nice upper shoulder shot on a mule deer and he looks around like WTF was that? 5 minutes later i Get a LUNG shot! he runs and and lays down under a tree * 1 hour later* hes up and grazing! He lays back down and my dad sneeks up on him and does the final kill with a knife lol. it was horrible! After that year, ive been using powerbelts and have downed all my animals with 1 shot. My deer lastyear with my winchester x150, 150 grains pyrodex, 245 grain powerbelt. 148 yards, open sights and free hand i put it thru both lungs and she went 5 yards before falling over. Im going to stop using 150grains powder this year. to much on the shoulder and neck. My dad and brother both use powerbelts also. I know the price on them are higher than most but i will never use another bullet. Now i may have to use the buffalo ball-et in my .50 flintlock rifle. im not sure how the powerbelts will do with the 1:66 twist.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Now i may have to use the buffalo ball-et in my .50 flintlock rifle. im not sure how the powerbelts will do with the 1:66 twist.
The 245 will probably do finewith that twist, though maybe not to 150 yards.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would that 435gr work on Buffalo if I went buffalo hunting some day?
Old 07-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Would that 435gr work on Buffalo if I went buffalo hunting some day?
IMO, Certainly would and would be preferable to the 425. But the truth is that a buffalo can fall to anything available to load in your .54 cal., including a roundball. TheSouix, Pawnee, Osage, Commanche, Cheyenne, etc. made a living killing them with arrows.Maybe the best would be one of those 500+Hydracons or a heavy Bullshop in the appropriate size for your rifle. Sure would be alot of fun to plug one from 220 yards out with one them heavy conicals. Were it not for Yellowstone, 70 grains powder and a 500 grain bullet would have made the poor critters extinct.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buffalo are the biggest game in North America. I know that the 435gr could but it would probably be good to try the 460gr or 535gr No Excuses if I wen't buffalo hunting. I would love to take a Buffalo with a Buffalo Bullet. I hear that they weigh over 2000 pounds and can be 10" in length!!! Any 54cal projectile will do.

Quick Reply: What Buffalo Bullet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.