Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pro Hunter v Savage v White >

Pro Hunter v Savage v White

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pro Hunter v Savage v White

Old 07-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Spike

Default Pro Hunter v Savage v White

I am new to your forum here and thought I could ask around and get your opinion about the three ML's I am really looking at purchasing for the up coming deer season in Missouri. I am an avid bowhunter and do not have any past experience with black powder and muzzleloaders.

I am looking at the Omega Pro Hunter, Savage Smokeless ML10 and White ML's. I have done a search here on the board and did not see much on the Savage.

I know you guys have shoot many different ML and black powder rifles ~ if you have the time could you tell me your thoughts and recommendations between these ML's? Thanks a bunch. Jeff
Old 07-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Pro Hunter v Savage v White

I have an Omega (older stainless one) and am pleased with the performance with sabots and synthetic black powders other than Tripple Seven which my Omega will not shoot without a severe crud ring. If my state allowed smokeless powder I would have a Savage as I like the company and the convenience of using smokeless would be a big advantage for hunting. The White is great if you want to shoot big conicals and standard black powder or Pyrodex; I don"t have one but would like to add one to my mix at some time. I also have an NEF which is quite a nice rifle considering the low price and great once I replaced the breechplug with the 25ACP conversion one.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:41 AM

Do you mean an Encore Pro-Hunter?

All can make you happy; it just depends on what you are looking for. As for info on the Savage:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloader_index_10ML-II.htm

Old 07-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why are you asking us for the Savage smokeless option? That is a powder option that only you can decide. Or are you considering only using blackpowder and/or substitutes with the Savage?

You also listed White Rifles? Please offer readers here a dealer name, address & phone number/website that has NEW (not refurbished)White Rifles.

In my non-smokeless opinion, life is grand owning a Stainless Steel, Laminated Thumbhole Omega. The Encores are wonderful if you desire purchasingtheir very expensive aftermarket barrel options.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Spike

Randy, you are correct I was talking about the Encore Pro Hunter ~ I had just read something about the Omega so I guess I typed that in my post, oops.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Spike

Triple, I would use the Savage with smokeless powder ~ and comparing that to the Encore Pro Hunter that isblackpowder ML.

You hit the nail on the head about the White Rifles, I cannot find a new one out there ~ I heard Doc had a few for sale earlier this summer but I guess they are all sold at this time.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Dominant Buck

All three rifles are great rifles without argument. What you need to look at is the kind of projectiles you want to hunt with an what you're looking for in the rifle.

The Savage without doubt from all my reading are excellent quality rifles. There are some nice ones out there used for sale right now also. The Savage will do all you need it to do. Randy Wakeman, who responded to your post is the one of the peopleto talk to for any and all questions about a Savage.

Thompson Center Pro Hunter is the new Encore twin so to say. So far from all the people who have purchased one, they are very pleased with the over all accuracy, and the way the rifle functions. Also you have Thompson Center's customer service to back you should there be a problem. Personally I do not like the stock design of the Encore and would go with the Omega since I have no desire to switch out barrels. Then again, if I shot a Encore or Pro Hunter I would probably change that statement also. The Omega is a great choice in a hunting rifle by the way.

The White rifle is a great rifle. They will shoot both conicals and sabots very well. BUT as stated, White Rifle Company is a thing of the past from all I hear. They are a great shooting rifle and I think one of them would last you for a life time, but should you need work on it, you may be hard pressed to find that. Although there are a number of dedicated White Rifle owners out there that still support White rifle and would sure try to help you out should you need any thing. I own a White Ultra Mag and love the rifle. There is no way I would ever sell my White.

Iown Thompson Centers, White, Knights, and CVA inline rifles. All of them are good shooters. But in your case if it were me, I would look at the Pro Hunter and then later buy myselfa White or Savage to compliment my collection and give me more toys to play with. But for the one rifle, stick to the Pro Hunter or the Savage if smokeless shooting is really something you want to get into..
Old 07-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Spike

Cayugad, thanks for your time and information with your post. I do appreciate it. My state does allow the smokeless powder and that is the way I am leaning ~ I just wanted to get a few more opinions. I spoke to Randy in the past and have read up on the Savage and Pro Hunter, including joining several of the forums.

The rifle is going to be used 99% of the time for whitetail hunting in Missouri. I will bepracticingat the range and figure out what loads work the best in my ML ~ but I do not think I would be out at the range shooting it for recreation or in a league if that makes sense.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

mo bowhunter,

Welcome to the forum!

Any of the rifles you mentioned will serve very well indeed. All of which have their own features and idosyncracies. Not having shot the ProHunter Encore, I cannot tell you anything other than they should shoot very sweet.

Your best bet is to shoulder and sight as many ML's as you can to gain a feel for what best suits your need. You are the one that has to carry and should the weapon, so let your instincts take you the rest of the way as you have selected excellent weapons. Knights are also very good. As far as smokeless, that's up to you. Really other that cleanliness, there nothing the Savage can do with smokeless that it cannot do with 777 or other cleaner shooting substitute black powders. Even with smokeless, you still need to clean the Savage.

I have shouldered the ProHunter Encore and it really feels sweet at the shoulder. I will have one either this year or next.

To sum up, put them to your shoulder and ask alot of questions. Don't rely on the sales clerk as they are there to sell you something.

Most of us here are not.

Good luck and welcome!

Tahquamenon
Old 07-14-2006, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Why are you asking us for the Savage smokeless option? That is a powder option that only you can decide. Or are you considering only using blackpowder and/or substitutes with the Savage?

You also listed White Rifles? Please offer readers here a dealer name, address & phone number/website that has NEW (not refurbished)White Rifles.

In my non-smokeless opinion, life is grand owning a Stainless Steel, Laminated Thumbhole Omega. The Encores are wonderful if you desire purchasingtheir very expensive aftermarket barrel options.
He's probably asking about the Savage because he is interested init. I think that is what this board is all about.

Regarding the White's. I bought two BRAND NEW Ultra Mags for my son and I from Sportsman's Warehouse a few weeks ago. After shooting them, I purchased another BRAND NEW one for my Dad and it was delivered yesterday by the FED EX delivery man. I think there still might be a couple out there and they are not hard to find. Look up Sportsman's Warehouse on the internet and call any of them. They can do a search. If I couldn't have got them, I would have got a referbished one. They are as simple of a design as I could ever imagine. I got all the replacement parts I could ever imagine needing from Doc. These parts are so simple they could easily be duplicated by any machine shop for very little money.

Read what the people that actually have them say, not someone who is just out to bash them.

Quick Reply: Pro Hunter v Savage v White

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.