Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pro Hunter v Savage v White >

Pro Hunter v Savage v White

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pro Hunter v Savage v White

Old 07-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Default RE: Pro Hunter v Savage v White

You don't get it. I was talking about the other ML board where everyone lies about how good the Whites are all the time. I'll go there and tell lies with them. I don't think you are invited though.

Question. You have told us in all your infinite wisdom why White was there. Why was Knight, TC or whoever else there? Friendly competition I guess.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

mo_bowhunter

Mine is a laminate stock, they also come with a synthetic stock, which I think is what is in Alaska... There may be 3 left in the the states SW computer systems seems lag little bit...

Doc White is still very active and he has a great supply of parts... One of his newest rifles just won the Manufacturer Trophy at the NMRLA's...

Not the best picture in the world but you get the idea...

Also here is one of my first targets from the White...

Great gun... I really do not need smokeless - I guess I feel I could always load one shell in my 308, but a lot of other people really like them.... and that is their choice..(savage)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/D77685FDFE5C47318BD076654C9BAD461.jpg

I witnessed the competitoin. White kicked butt.

But then again Trip, maybe you are just mad White won. I don't know, unfortunately I am sure you will tell us. Anyway, I am done with this. Keepspreading your message Trip.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is one of my pair of UltraMags. I've since changed the scope to a 3x9 Burris ballistiplex, also changed to somewhat better fitting bases and Warne QD rings.

http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/1874/1944550748753355859_rs.jpg

http://aycu34.webshots.com/image/1953/1212400878393181169_rs.jpg

Doc has one over on his website that is slightly used. He's pretty proud of that one but would likely deal a bitand might even make you a great deal on the rifle. http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/prod04.htm Very slow page to load so be patient. Umag is about 80% down the page. Check out his kits while you are there.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mo_bowhunter

I am new to your forum here and thought I could ask around and get your opinion about the three ML's I am really looking at purchasing for the up coming deer season in Missouri. I am an avid bowhunter and do not have any past experience with black powder and muzzleloaders.
Welcome to the forum mo_bowhunter. First things first. This is going to be your FIRST muzzleloader. I have to tell ya, this is an addiction and your nose is just getting sniffly. So this will be only one of a few.

Considering that you are new to the sport, I might recommend that if you purchase the Savage, to use some cleanBP substitute in it, like AP or Goex Pinnacle. It burns clean and is less likely to get you in trouble as you learn how to use a muzzleloader safely. Doesn't mean that you use smokeless in it later, just learn with a powder which isn't as potent. The worst thing you could do is put 140 grains of 4815, (like some insane people on other forums do), and have a short seat or be double loaded. Just learn the routine and be safe and if you buy a Savage follow Savage's recommended loads.

Like I said, you willbuy more than one. My wife doesn't know it yet, but I have already decided on my next, (a 1/1/8" X 36" in either .58 or .62 cal, maybe a flinter). Since this is your first, you simply can't go wrong. Let your first one be the one that "feels right" after you have filteredthrough everyone'scomments and suggestions. Once purchased, shoot it and enjoy it.

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Spike

Thanks again for all your guys time and information. I do reload some of my own center fire rifle loads, so I do have a nice scale and other reloading equipment ~ I am expecting to reuse some of that when putting together various loads for my ML. I am very anxious to dive into the ML side of shooting although now I sure have to schedule my time more wisely between practicing with my bow and a new ML.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: mo_bowhunter

I know you guys have shoot many different ML and black powder rifles ~ if you have the time could you tell me your thoughts and recommendations between these ML's?
mo_bowhunter,do yourself a big favor and go ahead and buy the Savage 10ML-II. If you purchase another muzzleloader and then have the opportunity to shoot a Savage, you'll wish you had bought it first! They are fantastic shooters with 250-300 saboted bullets. It comes standard with the awesome Accutrigger. With smokeless powder, you'll have no sight obscuring smoke after the shot enabling you to keep your eyes on the game you have taken. There is no immediate need to cleanthe Savageafter shooting it as with Pyrodex/Triple Se7en, which isa bonusafter a long days hunt. You can get higher velocities with the Savagewith heavier bullets than you can with magnum charges of Pyrodex/Triple Se7en and lighter bullets. For example, a T/C Omega .50 w/ 28" barrelshooting 3 Pyrodex pellets and a T/C 200 gr. Shockwave will get you approximately 2300 fps. A Savage 10ML-II .50 w/ 24" barrel shooting 42 grs. Vihtavouri N110 and a Hornady 250 gr. SST (which is a Savage recommended load)will get you the same 2300 fps with a 50 gr. heavier bullet. The laminated stainless Savage is a great gun, nothing out there better IMO. I own one plus a stainless Omega .50. Although the Omega is a super nice gun also, if I had to choose between one, the Omega would definitely be the one to go.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Why are you asking us for the Savage smokeless option? That is a powder option that only you can decide. Or are you considering only using blackpowder and/or substitutes with the Savage?

You also listed White Rifles? Please offer readers here a dealer name, address & phone number/website that has NEW (not refurbished)White Rifles.

In my non-smokeless opinion, life is grand owning a Stainless Steel, Laminated Thumbhole Omega. The Encores are wonderful if you desire purchasingtheir very expensive aftermarket barrel options.
Seems to me Cascade answered your question/challenge... and as always you just seem to have a way about you that is condesceding and rude to say the least... He wanted advice not put downs but you can't seem to do one without the other. Very sad...

I wouldn't hesitate (if money weren't an option) to buy any of them. But I will say what others haven't... the Savage and the White each have adjustable triggers, the Encore only with aftermarket parts. I own both the Savage and the White... as well as a Knight. The composite stocks on those Whites will probably be B&C stocks, very nice! If money was an issue I would go for the White... White Rifles the company is still operating, all be it barely, and the rifles all have a lifetime warranty and Doc White himself is a tremendous resource for advice and parts. As has been noted the UltraMag is the only rifle of the three that will shot sabots AND conicals effectively.

Old 07-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Why are you asking us for the Savage smokeless option? That is a powder option that only you can decide. Or are you considering only using blackpowder and/or substitutes with the Savage?

You also listed White Rifles? Please offer readers here a dealer name, address & phone number/website that has NEW (not refurbished)White Rifles.

In my non-smokeless opinion, life is grand owning a Stainless Steel, Laminated Thumbhole Omega. The Encores are wonderful if you desire purchasingtheir very expensive aftermarket barrel options.
Hey Trip........The guys is asking for opinions. He said he doesn't know much about muzzleloading. Get off your ego TRIP.