Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Where should I buy my GM 58cal? >

Where should I buy my GM 58cal?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where should I buy my GM 58cal?

Old 07-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where should I buy my GM 58cal?

You are making a great barrel/caliber/twistchoice there. While you are there at Midsouth, check into their accessories for that barrel --- stuff like 58-cal bore brushes, roundballs, cleaning jag... etc. You will need these parts & getting them now saves on shipping costs.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 AM

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Sharp Shooter

Not sure if the GM-IBS will be exactly a Renegade barrel... It will be a 1" barrel but it will possibly be a longerbarrel rather than a 27" barrelyour Renegade may have now.

Not tht it is a big deal - - but I really like the shorter barrel in the woods....
Right, mine is 1" x 33" x 1:70" twist...have it in a Hawken stock...an outstanding barrel
Old 07-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

There is a picture of my Renegade with the .58 caliber barrel. Rather a nice looking rifle if you ask me, and it does shoot as well as these other people are telling you. I was testing muslin as a patch material that day. I can almost assure you, 110 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball will produce a bad day for anything you shoot at.

As for the target, it's a 8x11 computer printer paper and I am sure you know more about the target them most people....
Old 07-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people think that that barrel is a little long in the woods. I could get a T/C 26" 58cal with a 1-48" twist but since I wan't to shoot roundballs I know that I could not push them as hard with that twist (90grains vs 110grains or so). I would also getbetter roundball accuracy with the Green Mountain. I know of guys on other fourms who hunt with full stock rifles that have 38" barrels and up! I think my half stock rifle with a 32" barrel would be light compared to that.

P.S. That rifle is a beauty Cayugad!!! Could you please tell me where you got that target? I wish I could get some like that.LOL
Old 07-06-2006, 09:58 AM
BS

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

Some people think that that barrel is a little long in the woods. I could get a T/C 26" 58cal with a 1-48" twist but since I wan't to shoot roundballs I know that I could not push them as hard with that twist (90grains vs 110grains or so). I would also getbetter roundball accuracy with the Green Mountain. I know of guys on other fourms who hunt with full stock rifles that have 38" barrels and up! I think my half stock rifle with a 32" barrel would be light compared to that.

P.S. That rifle is a beauty Cayugad!!! Could you please tell me where you got that target? I wish I could get some like that.LOL
NO, NO, NO!..........Buy the Greenmountain...........the 1-70 twist is much better for Hunting Loads..........If you buy the TC, you will Kick Yourself in the butt , many times.

You can always have the Long barrel shortened at a later date.

You will find most of the longer barreled guns have swamped or tapered barrels, for better ballance and to make them lighter.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree! The 1-70" is awesome in comparison to the shorter 1-48" 54-cal I once owned. Accuracy with the roundballs and ballets are unbelievable. Touching holes at 125 yards with a roundball that largeis all the convincing you need.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

I wish midsouth would offer the GM barrel as a flinter in 58 cal.
I would jump on it for that price
Old 07-06-2006, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: lonewolf5348

I wish midsouth would offer the GM barrel as a flinter in 58 cal.
I would jump on it for that price
I had GM put a flint plug on one, andeven at that they only charged me $190...not all that much more than the caplock at mid-south...absolutely love my .58cal Flintlock and it's a sledge hammer...put this 10 pointer on his keister right now...

Old 07-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Spike

Sharp Shooter
Sent you a PM,let me know if you did not get the pic.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: roundball

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Sharp Shooter

Not sure if the GM-IBS will be exactly a Renegade barrel... It will be a 1" barrel but it will possibly be a longerbarrel rather than a 27" barrelyour Renegade may have now.

Not tht it is a big deal - - but I really like the shorter barrel in the woods....
Right, mine is 1" x 33" x 1:70" twist...have it in a Hawken stock...an outstanding barrel
Roundball,

Was your Hawken stock originally cut for a 15/16" barrel? If so, how did you go aboutyou modifying it to accept the 1" barrel.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Quick Reply: Where should I buy my GM 58cal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.