Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help -patch stuck

Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help -patch stuck

Today, I was cleaning my T/C Flintlock and lost a patch down the barrel. I tried for over 1/2 hour to pull the patch out with a patch puller with no luck.I also poured water down the barrel to see if I thought I lost the patch. When the water didn't flow out of the touch hole, I knew the patch was still there & I wasn't losing my mind. How can I get the patch out? Thanks Joe
Old 06-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help -patch stuck

ORIGINAL: 270sniper

Today, I was cleaning my T/C Flintlock and lost a patch down the barrel. I tried for over 1/2 hour to pull the patch out with a patch puller with no luck.I also poured water down the barrel to see if I thought I lost the patch. When the water didn't flow out of the touch hole, I knew the patch was still there & I wasn't losing my mind. How can I get the patch out? Thanks Joe
I've pulled patches out with small wire bore brush before (like .22 cal. bore brush). The brush is like the stiffvelcro, the patch like the soft velcro. Maybe that'll help.

Happy Hunting, Phil

Old 06-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

What does you're patch puller look like? Sometimes, they call a bullet puller a patch puller - it's like a wood screw. There have been times when that didn't work for me, but a patch WORM did. They make different kinds, but mine was like two curved stiff wires going in opposite directions off the end of the attachment.
Here's a picture of another kind - top, third from the left.
If the patch is stuck AHEAD of the nipple, you might try a blast from an air compressor.

Good Luck

Old 06-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Priming powder, air compressor or the two curled wires-design patch puller will get it out. I did it a few times in my percussion barrels. The worst thing to see down there is an unscrewed bore brush. That takes double-priming to push out....lol [X(]

None of those pictured above is a 2-wire patch puller. The 3rd one on the left is close & may work. I did'nt like mine. It's still in my tackle box collecting dust.

The one I like (2-wire) is in this picture below. When you reach the breech with it, do not use pushing force. Just turn it clockwise a few times & pull up. Putting force on it will bend the wires. Believe me I know -- I broke several of them before I got smart.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=RM9013
Old 06-28-2006, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

If you don't have a patch puller and you've dumped water down the barrel, you have a mess. If you have no patch worm, then try a brass bore brush of a caliber smaller then what your using. I've pulled them out with 30 caliber brushes for my rifle. The big thing is as you move the brush down the bore, keep turning it clockwise and it will hook the material normally and allow you to haul it up.

That patch worm Triple Se7en has pictured is still the best way.. just like he said, gentle pressure and turn clockwise... I've smashed a few myself...
Old 06-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

. The worst thing to see down there is an unscrewed bore brush. That takes double-priming to push out....lol [X(]
I can't help but giggle about this. A 22.cal bore brush certainly isn't built for the job, but then, in a pinch it works. I did suggest it because most people who enjoy hunting who don't have a two-wire puller have a small bore-brush or maybe their buddy or neighbor who doesn't muzzle-load has one. And well, it has worked for me on numerous occasions..

270 sniper, you will want to buy a patch worm and the one Triple Se7en recommended is a good one.But if you happen to reach down there with a 22 cal bore brush, please, please spin clockwise so it doesn't come unscrewed!

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 06-28-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the 2 wire patch worm also.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I usedthe two pointed wire brush, to NO Avail.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

Well time to be a bit aggressive you don't want to leave a wet patch in the bore for too long. Just for giggles I would remove the ventliner and stick the breech in a bucket of warm soapy water and start cleaning the bore with a jag and patch and see if that makes the patch move into a position that makes it easier to snag with the worm. The pumping of water in and out of the bore should get it loose.

You are actually lucky last time I lost a patch in the bore it had a broken jag attatched to it.[:-]
Old 06-28-2006, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

Well time to be a bit aggressive you don't want to leave a wet patch in the bore for too long. Just for giggles I would remove the ventliner and stick the breech in a bucket of warm soapy water and start cleaning the bore with a jag and patch and see if that makes the patch move into a position that makes it easier to snag with the worm. The pumping of water in and out of the bore should get it loose.

You are actually lucky last time I lost a patch in the bore it had a broken jag attatched to it.[:-]
hot soapy water with patch and pump, it may flush out.also the .22 cal wire brush is good idea too.

Quick Reply: Help -patch stuck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.