Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Good Day with a Flintlock >

Good Day with a Flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good Day with a Flintlock

Old 06-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Good Day with a Flintlock

Today I decided to play with one of the flintlocks and see if I will ever be able to master the art of flint knapping. I picked the Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 caliber. The load I use in that rifle is 90 grains of Goex 2f (this rifle hates 3f powder) and a moosemilk Pillow Tick patch, with a Buffalo Bullet .530 roundball. I used Goex 4f as the prime powder. All shooting was done at 50 yards, as that's about as far a shot as I would get with where I hunt with this rifle.

I never had to swab the barrel the entire day. The moosemilk patches were really doing well. No burns, or shredding, so I just kept shooting. I did wipe out the pan and frizzen from time to time, and I had to finally clean the frizzen spring and hinge because it got so fowled, that the flint could no longer trip it open towards the end to make a good spark.

I took Roundball's knapping instructions with me. And after following his directions, I actually think I got the hang of it... I did make a chipping tool out of a nail and used that to flake off the smallest of amounts while the rifle was on half cock. It must of have worked because the rifle ignition was very sure, and F..A..S..T..! Even though I thought the flint looked dull, it still fired perfect. I had two hangfires or lag fires for better words to call them. I would then knapp when that happened.

I first fired at the center target. It really took a pounding, but it gave me the sight picture I would need to hold which was a true 6 o'clock picture. I finally decided I was ready to adjust the sights. Not too bad, only took me a little over a year to commit to my load. I then shot three shots from a bench rest off a Caldwell bag, (picture C) to check my adjustment. I was more then pleased with this. So I got the shooting sticks out to see how I would do on them (picture D). Again, I was not all that unhappy with those results. The fast ignition really makes the difference with these rifles. Then I needed to knock my self down a little, so I took some free hand shots. As you can see, I kept them on paper, but I do need a lot of work in that department. (although I seldom if ever shoot free hand when hunting.. I almost always have a rest of some sorts.)

So it was a great day. The temperature was in the 70's and it was sunny with minor wind gusts. Maybe tomorrow I will take the Hawkins flintlock out and play with that one...
Old 06-23-2006, 04:12 PM

Default RE: Good Day with a Flintlock

Sounds like you've got it goin' on Cayugad!!!!!

I'm getting up at 5:00am so I canget to the range and beat the heat & humidity here in central NC...will run50 ballsthrough a.50cal Flintlock, be back inside the garage cleaning it by 9:00-9:30...life is good!

Old 06-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Dominant Buck

roundball.. have you ever seen a flint that the edge looked not only dull but thick? Yet that thing fired off round after round. I finally had it fail, so I changed flints but when I was looking at it, it was so squared off, there was really nothing left to knap. I would have never guessed it would have sparked and still fired..
Old 06-23-2006, 05:29 PM

Yes, I've had that happen...seems when the fint edgewears down, shortening the flint's length, it hits lower on thefrizzen and to a point, seems to still work producing a lot of sparks...but then if it wears too short it'll hit so low that the frizzen might not even tip open.

After my range sessions andI'm cleaning everything up, if the flint looks like it's ready to be replaced, I don't throw them away...I just clean and toss them in a jar...the day may come when I'll run out of BEFs and try some used ones repositioned further forward in the jawsto see if I can get some more life out of them...an interesting hobby for sure.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOOKING GOOD! I think you have inspired me to take my flinter out tomorrow. It has been sitting in the safe for too long....plus, my finger itches
Old 06-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

You retired old farts have all the fun. I haven't even shot my new Pennsylvania rifle yet[>:]

Oh well, when I do get a chance I should be all smiles
Old 06-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

You retired old farts have all the fun. I haven't even shot my new Pennsylvania rifle yet[>:]

Oh well, when I do get a chance I should be all smiles
I want you to know its no fun being retired. You would not believe all the stress it causes each day, sitting and looking at my gun rack trying to decide what rifle I will shoot today, what distance I want to shoot at on my range, and what projectile I want to use... Sometimes I am so worn out, I have to take a nap before I go shoot...
Old 06-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would you like a little cheese with that whine Cayugad? Just complain, complain ,complain. You sure have a rough life. lol

I haven't had time to even look at my guns in at least a month. But i now have a good excuse to go to the range. The NM draw results came out this week and both my son and I drew cow elk tags for ML'er. Got to get him out and practice. Also need to find the right load for the optima in case we need it as a backup gun. So much to do and only 3 months to do it.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Dominant Buck

dmurphy317 - good luck to you and your son with the elk hunting. That is not only a lot of fun, but I personally think there is no better eating the elk meat.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad, when are you coming to CO on an elk hunt? You should really come. Us Coloradoins will help you pick a place to hunt. Some day I wan't to get a flinter. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: Good Day with a Flintlock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.