Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Where to buy clean bee's wax ?? >

Where to buy clean bee's wax ??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where to buy clean bee's wax ??

Old 06-23-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Where to buy clean bee's wax ??

I purchased 250 unlubed conicals off GunBroker.com. I'd like to try the lube recipe posted by Cayugad on a couple of occassions, but I'm uncertain where to go to get the cleanest bees wax for the best price.

Ok, so where do you guys buy your bee's wax? Ebay? I seem to recall a bee keeper posting here that he'd offer a deal to HuntingNet members. Anyone ever use him? Contact?

IYO, am I better off just using the Cabelas white lube mixed with Bore Butter than bothering trying to find the bee's wax?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Where to buy clean bee's wax ??

http://www.beeswaxfrombeekeepers.com/

Debra Bruihleris who I bought my bees wax from. I bought the double filtered stuff and it is really nice and clean. They they are very generous in the weigh scales as I bought the $15.00 package and I think I have enough wax for myself and friends the rest of our lives. I got two bricks of wax.My friend made the same purchase and took one brick of the waxto a Rendezvous and sold it to a person off a trade blanket sale for $10.00 and a beverage .

I do remember a poster on here saying they would sell to us and I even looked at their site, but I have so much wax still at the house that it would have been foolish to purchase more. Although I have been thinking of making my own bees wax candles. Just for fun mind you.

I just double boiler it and melt it in a tin can inside a coffee can on the gas grill. Whether it is worth the effort.. well I like to monkey with different things, and if I can make something and it works it somehow pleases me all the more. You might be better off with the Cabela's white lube and mix that with bore butter like I believe Triple Se7en does. He gives excellent information and if he said it works, it works...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Got some from Al after he posted on here.Don't know ifhe has any nowas his supply was at one time depleted. I'm sure his beeshave been busy though. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/showprofile.aspx?memid=89410
Old 06-23-2006, 08:34 AM

UC and Cayugad - Thanks for your quick responses. Let me ask you guys something, since I have no experience using a double broiler (and don't want to mess up the Mrs') do you think I can melt bees wax in a microwave?

I'm thinking that I can merely take a piece of Cayugad's recipe and a piece of Triple Se7en's as follows: mix melted bee's wax and Bore Butter in a bowl in the microwave. What do you think? What proportions of each would you recommend.

Thoughts ??
Old 06-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter John

UC and Cayugad - Thanks for your quick responses. Let me ask you guys something, since I have no experience using a double broiler (and don't want to mess up the Mrs') do you think I can melt bees wax in a microwave?

I'm thinking that I can merely take a piece of Cayugad's recipe and a piece of Triple Se7en's as follows: mix melted bee's wax and Bore Butter in a bowl in the microwave. What do you think? What proportions of each would you recommend.

Thoughts ??
Yes, get a microwave bowl and dedicate it to the wax because it will be a pain to clean. It should melt the wax. Although mixing bees wax and bore butter is going to give you a very stiff lube. Bore Butter is stiff already, adding wax to it will make it only more so.

I get all my stuff like the castor oil and such at Wal mart. I then make it as I like it. The next stuff I want to try is called Junior Lube.. since I have the stuff to make that also...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

A double boiler , not broiler , is just a smaller pot nestled into a bigger pot with water being heated beneath . It cuts the risk of the wax catching fire to nearly nothing . A microwave would pose a lot bigger fire hazard , and your Mrs. is far more likely to be POed if you burn the house down than if you just mess up her stove .

You can buy a double boiler pretty cheaply in the housewares section of most Wally Worlds . Put about 1-2" of water in the lower pot , or just enough to barely touch the bottom of the upper pot , and keep the burner just high enough to get the water very hot but not boiling . Then put small chunks or shavings of what you want to melt into the upper pot of the DB , and watch it until it's completely melted , stirring occasionally .
Old 06-23-2006, 08:55 AM

Thanks for all of your input everyone. Yes, kevin1 you are correct...should have typed boiler. Also correct about over nuking some "strange brew" in the microwave and smokin' the Hunter John residence. Yeah, the Mrs wouldn't like that[8D]

Ordering 2.5 lbs of wax today from BeeKeepers and heading to Wally World on my lunch break. Thanks again guys
Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 PM

Don't forget to keep an eye out for sales at crafts stores. They usually have bee's wax for use in making candles. And they'll have very clean, clear waxin either "white" or regular amber.Dependig on the store it can be expensive, but I've found it relatively cheap at some places.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fort Chambers, www.fortchambers.com in Chambersburg PA has bees wax. You might call them.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

All my 2006 capping wax is spoken for thanks to UC.
I called a friend who is also a beekeeper. He said he has a small amount for $2.00 a pound. It isn't capping wax but clean, he normally sells it to a cabinet maker who uses it in a furniture polish.

Al

Quick Reply: Where to buy clean bee's wax ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.