Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Finally Ready To Shoot! >

Finally Ready To Shoot!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally Ready To Shoot!

Old 06-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Finally Ready To Shoot!

Hi Guys,

I finally managed to acquire the minimum components/tools/supplies to shoot my ML! It wasa major pain driving around for the better part of the weekend but at least I have it all now. Suprise suprise, the brand new Sportsmans Warehouse in Federal Way had absolutely no #11 caps what so ever! [:'(] Thankfully GI Joes in Lynnwood had some of the CCI #11 Magnums so I grabbed three (100ea) tins to get started.

The Ultra Mag is clean, #11 breech plug installed (teflon taped too!) and was weighed in at approx 10lbs or a bit less depending on my bathroom scale range at that end of the measure ...

I'm so excited about finally getting to shoot this weekend I can't stand it! LOL I'm planning on starting off at the 25yr line with the White PowerPunch conicals and/or the PowerStar sabots that shipped with the ML - no idea on either weight however! I did buy three packs of the Knight 260gr all lead sabots at SW so may be able to shoot some of them as well.

I also have the Hornady 300gr XTPs but the Nosler sabots are on B/O, the Buffalo 375gr SSBs seem too big and expensive to start off with, and I still haven't received the NEs or wads ... I'm picking up some shipment from the USPS this afternoon- it got hung up there last Fri - don't know what/where its from though.

cheers,
phil
Old 06-12-2006, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Finally Ready To Shoot!

Good job philnie you are almost ready. One little tip someone told me. This didn't happen to me though. The lids on the CCI caps aren't very tight, so you will likely put them up somewhere safe, other than in a bag with all the rest of your stuff. Don't forget them when you go shooting. You might drive 15 miles to the shooting spot and get all set up to shoot and then figure out you forgot something. They don't shoot well without caps, so I been told. Then it is a 30 mile round trip to get back to the spot where you can shoot, but I guarantee you will drive the 30 miles extra. Least I probably would.

My Sportsman's had boxes and boxes of CCI's but no RWS's. GI Joes had 2 tins of RWS's that I bought, but they were expensive. I have used both now with no problems from either. Guns go bang every time.

Take at least one milk jug full of water for the finale. Get it on video if you have a chance. It is great to watch again in slo-mo. Did it one time at about 150 yards with a .338 mag. Gives you real perspective on how fast them boolits are movin.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

philne: I believe the Powerstars are 435 gr. and the PowerPunch are 460.
Saturday I was shooting my UM and found that the Powerstars didn't load well at all in a fouled bore (many/most others I have tried so far loaded quite well). The PowerPunch cconicals slipped in with just thumb pressure, then slid all the way down easily.
Just my opinion, but I'd start with some of the lighter bullets for sighting in before going to the heavier stuff. I know they were "free" with your UM, but they're pretty big chunks of lead to be sighting in with (in my opinion).
My best load for accuracy Saturday was the 300 gr XTP (.44 cal) with the green Hornady sabots ahead of 85 gr T7. Just over 1/12" at 100 yds. Are yours .44 or .45 cal? I don't want to cause you to spend any more money (yet), but I think just about any sabot made for your bullet will work in your UM (except for the very thin ones - they'll probably fall back out).

Good Luck and Have Fun!
IM jaybe
Old 06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

When I find something the Ultra Mag will not shoot well.. I will post that. So far almost anything I have thrown at it, this rifle has handled and handled well. I think starting at 25 yards is a good idea. It will help you build conifidence in the rifle and you do not have to worry about distance spreads. They can fool people sometimes. They think a bullet is not grouping well, when really because of the distance they are having flyers or just a plain old bad day. I sure have had enough of them.

Good luck with your rifle and be sure and let us know how it shoots and handles...
Old 06-12-2006, 12:42 PM

jaybe quote, "Just over 1/12" at 100 yds."

Dang buddy, that isawesome shooting!!!!!

I have only shot the 300 gr .452s and have been shooting 100 gr of Triple 7 ffg. Hopefully the next time out I will have some of the big conicals to try, but even if I shoot the sabots I am going to back off on the powder. So many things to try and so little time!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

cayugad
Thanks for the info here. I've been watching your posts on cascadedad's initial outings and am now thinking about breaking the barrel in, first steps, etc. So, I'm not thinking about shooting groups my 1st time out, just to get familiar w/ ML processes and see for instance what 70gr loads do vs 80gr loads - recoil, measuring out, POI, etc ... things like that.

jaybe
Thanks for the Whites projectile update too. I've got the .45 Hornadys but no sabots yet. I agree with your statement about wanting to start off w/ lighter bullets, but I'm not willing to wait longer to get the remaining stuff! Hopefully the Nosler sabots are waiting for me at the post office though. Understood about loading difficulties w/ sabots too - especially since this is a new barrel and I'm a new ML shooter. I think cascadedad reported it was easier to load/shoot sabots from his new Ultra Mag when he did a barrel wipe in between.

cascadedad
You are right! Those CCI tin tops are barely on ... I'll probably get some rubber bands on them or better yet- tape them over for now. Unfortunately the range closest to me won't allow non-approved targets, but once I get some local shooting done - I'll be heading to the hills to do some more shooting and will definitely bring along a milk jug or two.

Oh and I got 2ea 1lb jars of T7 2Fg, 3Fg, and Pyrodex P at Sportsmans Warehouse ... was frustrated they didn't have the caps so "compensated" with buying more powder! LOL. I've been looking at my work schedule this week - if I can get away for a 1/2 day to shoot during the week, I will- otherwise it's this Saturday morning ... will definitely let everyone know how things go when I get to the range!

cheers,
phil

Old 06-12-2006, 01:45 PM

philnie, one other thing, newbie to newbie. If you do swab, the patch should only be very lightly moist. The first time out I had put some patches in a small Tuperware container and moistened them with windex. Too moist that is. One shot there was a pop, but no boom. Sat there for 30 seconds or so with gun to my shoulder. Then installed a new cap. Shot again. Pop...........(1 second)...........boom. The last trip out, I had just slightly moistened patches, swabbed with a wet patch and then a dry patch. No problem.

On a side note. One thing about the teflon tape I do not like. I have found that it is not easy to get it all out of the breech threads. Of all the steps involved with cleaning, that is biggest pain in the rear for me. I use a 12 ga brass brush, it is tight and even tried putting a patch on it, but just doesn't do that good of a job. Any suggestions by anyone?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

philnie, one other thing, newbie to newbie. If you do swab, the patch should only be very lightly moist. The first time out I had put some patches in a small Tuperware container and moistened them with windex. Too moist that is. One shot there was a pop, but no boom. Sat there for 30 seconds or so with gun to my shoulder. Then installed a new cap. Shot again. Pop...........(1 second)...........boom. The last trip out, I had just slightly moistened patches, swabbed with a wet patch and then a dry patch. No problem.

On a side note. One thing about the teflon tape I do not like. I have found that it is not easy to get it all out of the breech threads. Of all the steps involved with cleaning, that is biggest pain in the rear for me. I use a 12 ga brass brush, it is tight and even tried putting a patch on it, but just doesn't do that good of a job. Any suggestions by anyone?
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000309507

get yourself a breech plug cleaning brush. You wrap a large cloth patch around the bristles, solvent the patch, slide it in the back end of the rifle into the breech and then turn the brush clockwise. Ithen pull it back out and check the threads. Sometimes a second patch will be necessary. That is all the brush is made for.

As for the wet patches ... if you can ring fluid off the patch do so. Swab the bore and the turn the patch over and swab the bore again. I swab with a solution of 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. The alcohol starts to dry as soon as you pull the patch. Then be sure to run a dry patch or two after the wet one to make sure the barrel is dry. That will stop the hang fires or misfires for the most part.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:21 PM

I have one of those brushes and have used a wet patch. Guess I just don't have the technique yet. Will keep practicing.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

You really don't need the tape. A good anti-sieze does a great job
mis fires because of damp patch, hmmmcould be something else such as primer not all the way on,could be ,not is, Hearing a lot of that with RWS primers not fitting all the way on.
Ken

Quick Reply: Finally Ready To Shoot!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.