Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Virginia's goin' Smokeless...

Old 06-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Virginia's goin' Smokeless...

Congratulations to the state of Virginia. After considering all of the relevant data, then conducting a thorough public opinion review, and listening to all the hunters that spoke up, they have released the 2006 proposed game codes. These codes will become law barring any unforeseen events.

The new code specifically designates SMOKELESS POWDER as a legally approved propellant in a muzzleloading gun for use during ANY MUZZLEODING SEASONS.

It appears safe to say, more states are likely to follow in Virginia's footsteps in the near future...

The regulations are outlined on page 4 of this proposal document.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulations/text/15-90.pdf

The Fish and Game Department, as well as interested Hunters, have spoken...The state of Virginia has listened!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Virginia's goin' Smokeless...

I have nothing against the use of smokeless powder in the Savage and some of the other muzzleloaders. They just are not for me is all. I've read a lot of shooting reports on the Savage and from all I read they are an exceptional shooting rifle. I wish all the people with the smokeless muzzleloaders good luck and safe hunting. Make sure you make the one shot you have count.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

im all for using everything you can to make a quick human kill.....the states where rifle hunting is illegal them smokeless guns would be your best bet...good shootin..easy to clean and shoot...not as hard to learn or master as a flintlock...farther distance...if i couldnt use a rifle im sure id own one....but im still lucky enough to beable to use a rifle...so if i dont feel like takin the flinter ill take the rifle...i sure hope PA never changes the Flintlock season....i think that would add way to many yahoos in the woods..and also too many deer would go home...them smokeless guns shoot better then most run of the mill weekend warrior guys can from what ive read...id like to shoot one just to see what they are like though..and no rotten egg smell and smoke cloud after the shot?? they take the fun out of everything!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:02 PM

They might as well open the season to let us use a regular rifle, muzzleloader, bow, crossbowor whatever you want to!![:@] It kinda takes away the accuracy/range limitations of the modern blackpowder muzzleloaders! So, if you can use what amounts to the range and accuracy of a centerfire rifle why not just have a free-for-all!!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I think a lot of the accuracy potential of a rifle applies to whether they allow optics. Wisconsin's muzzleloader season does not allow the use of optics. So no matter what kind of muzzleloader rifle I have, I'm only as good as I can see and shoot with open sights. In this environment,most shooters, even a traditional rifle is just as deadly as the inlines.

When people complain that one kind of rifle has better ballistics then another. I only tell them if they want that advantage to purchase that rifle then. Otherwise they need to take satisfaction in the fact they hunt with the kind of equipment they feel produces the right kind of challenge for them. I am not out there competing with anyone.

I own a lot of rifles, but if you take the scopes off of them my limit is approximately 100 yards give or take. The reason being, that is all the distance inside my personal comfort range without optics. I feel that's my limit, shooting at a deer sized target's kill zone. At 100 yards, I will kill a deer dead whether it is with a roundball being pushed by Goex or a sabot being pushed by a smokeless brand of powder. I hate to see people simply try to "put some lead in one."

I've watched people at public ranges with open sighted muzzleloaders and even modern cartridge rifles. In my opinion there are many of them that have no business shooting at anything over 50 yards away. I watched a person shooting a 30-30 at a paper plate at the100 yard station. He fired seven rounds and hit the paper plate five times. He then looked at members of his group, smiled and said, yep.. still on the money. All I could think of was.. you missed twice with that rifle. And the group he had was not even impressive. I was blasting away with a .54 caliber Renegade shooting roundball and had a better group at 100 yards then he did.

I think the same holds true of the smokeless powder rifle shooters as well. If they can not hit what they aim at, their smokeless powder does them no good. Granted, they can achieve some terrific speeds on their projectiles and with good optics, can shoot some long distances. Well there are modern inline shooters with good optics that can do the same thing. I would go to bet that if a quality optic device was put on some of these traditional rifles and was practiced with to learn bullet drop, etc. They also could do some outstanding long range shooting. I have been tempted to scope a traditional rifle, but as yet have never done it.

Many times States base their laws on the demands of the general hunting public and the management of their game herds. I am sure that all that was taken into consideration. Also you need to take into consideration the kind of hunting situation you might encounter State to State. Scopes for instance being allowed in States where the average shot is or possibly will be well over 100 yards, I have no problem with. I would much rather see a person make a clean killing shot on one animal then wound three others before they finally fill their tag.

In the meantime, I will continue to hunt with the kind of rifle that brings ME the most enjoyment and let the other person worry about their own self.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

As always...well said Cuyugad...

Old 06-07-2006, 04:11 AM

While I really don't care what the next guy is useing as long as it's not pointed in my direction, I think it's too bad they are allowing smokeless, not a fan of scopes either. Like bow season, ML'r season in my parts has turned into another deer wacking contest where all one has to do is throw a few dollars at it and you can hunt for another month or two. In my state, it used to be called "Special Muzzel Loading season", special is not included in the name anymore, probably because there is nolonger anything special about it.

Doug
Old 06-07-2006, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

Well, as a matter of personal choice, I have no interest at all in usinganythink but blackpowder in a muzzleloader, however, does anyone else see a problem with these rules, as they are written? I'm sure it was not the intent, but to me, the wording of these regulations seem to stateone must use at least 50 grns of whichever powder they use, including smokeless.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:11 AM

ORIGINAL: sabinajiles

ORIGINAL: jcchartboy

Well, as a matter of personal choice, I have no interest at all in usinganythink but blackpowder in a muzzleloader, however, does anyone else see a problem with these rules, as they are written? I'm sure it was not the intent, but to me, the wording of these regulations seem to stateone must use at least 50 grns of whichever powder they use, including smokeless.
Exactly...had the same thought about the 50grns...AND...about someone pouring in down the throat of any oldmuzzleloader, not just the new fangled one manufactured to shoot smokeless.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I think is an unbiased opinion.I started shooting my grandads muzzleloader [originals] at 12 I am now pushing 70. I can build [and have ] a round ball hawken that will take deer for me at 175 yds without any problem. So whats the big deal about a bit of range? The real advantage I see is less chance of a rifle being ruined by rust or corrosion and less effort to clean them. The biggest draw back that concerns me is that there is a lot less room for error in measuring powder when using smokeless designed for cartridge guns. Since most deer are taken a bow ranges any way I believe that anyone who believes that it gives them any advantage other than convenience under normal circumstances is wishful thinking.
There for I do not see any reason why they should be barred except prejudice even though I have not chosen to use one myself.
We need to help and support each other; if we do not hang together the antigun miniminds will have the chance to hang us individually. Lee

Quick Reply: Virginia's goin' Smokeless...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.