Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what do you take hunting??? >

what do you take hunting???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what do you take hunting???

Old 06-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what do you take hunting???

i'm just curious what all do you take out when you go hunting in terms of muzzleloading supplies??? this is something i have always wondered and its a question that i'll need answered for the upcoming season.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what do you take hunting???

all depends...i shoot a flintlock.....and like to be more "prepared" then most guys.....im a worrier and will worry about every worst possible case that could happen...i carry extra flints...extra leather...leather cows knee to cover the lock in fowl weather...vent pick...pan brush...pan charger....ball puller, patch puller, T starter, Extra cleaning/loading jag...i USED to carry FIVE premeasured loads and a measurer and flask full of powder.....last year i got a little smarter....now i carry 2 loading blocks with my patchs and balls in them(12 i think) and 10 premeasured charges....then i carry alcohol patches, dry patches....and an extra pill bottle full of 4FG for the pan..which believe it or not i used more then one hunt...when its raining or snowing or we are doing ALOT of quick small drives i dump my pan ALOT..covered or not i dump it often....rather be safe then sorry and got a half pound of 4fg so i dont feel bad "wasting" it lol.....as you can tell im a little too cautious.....i also carry my leathermen tool to take it apart need be.....and a few gallons of water and a bucket in the truck....just incase i need to clean it....like if im hunting from school....gun gets locked in the police station while im not hunting....so if i shoot a deer monday i dont get home till friday....rifle would be rusted to pieces by then...so i carry all my cleaning supplies when hunting there or from camp...rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it....seems like alot but it all fits in a possible bag nicely.....ive used it all more then once....ive had flints explode after ONE shot..lost the leather...friends borrow stuff...im always priming their rifles because they run out....and on the strap is attached my radio for communicating to the gang....we mainly do drives..i do go out and still hunt and stand hunt but alot of our hunting is drives...best way to hunt around here...small woodlots...lots of pressure...deer just dont move on their own...so we like to try and get em up and move em around
Old 06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt with a inline muzzleloader and all i carry is 3 speed loaders with has my Powerbelt Bullets in it and my Pyrodex powder and also carry a pack of ccl primers. And my gun of course that is all i carry.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

1. Gun
2. Powder
3. Bullet
4. Knife
5. Draggin' Rope

Old 06-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

In reference to the muzzleloader; in my fanny pack

[ul][*]pre measured powder charges in 35mm flim canisters (four of them)[*]projectiles to fit the rife (ie; round ball and patch, conicals, sabots eight of them)[*]short starter[*]cleaning patches[*]small spray bottleof isopropyl alcohol[*]caps in a capper or 209's in a dog bone, decapper[*]any tool needed to break the rifle down (scewdriver, hex wrench, etc depending on the rifle)[*]breech plug wrench/nipple wrench[/ul]
reference navagation; in my fanny pack

[ul][*]compass[*]GPS[*]area maps[/ul]
reference comfort; In my day pack

[ul][*]matches[*]space blanket[*]small first aid kit[*]aspirin[*]apples[*]cereal in sandwich bag (usually something sweet)[*]sandwiches[*]canteen of water[*]drag harness[*]bug juice (depending on season)[*]gloves[*]knife sharpener[/ul]
On my belt;

[ul][*]two knives - folding buck knife & small skinning knife[*]tomahawk (depending onwhere I am headed into)[/ul]
Old 06-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

one load.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 Renegade 50 cal. loaded, extra caps 2 loads w/prb or conical and knife and cell phone and camera. Thats all i need!
Old 06-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

At the cabin::
I carry a small pack mule load of stuff. 3 charges rolled in paper towel and waxed paper, 3 sabots with bullets, and a capper with what ever #11 or 209's.
Smallfolding saw, 2 knives 1 folding, gps, 2 compasses (gps won't pick up in some of the thick cedar swamps.), A bag of home made trail mix (I hate a million rasins boughten ones have.) and a thermos of hot BLACK tea with honey. A small freezer bag with paper towels Wet wipes and surgal gloves 4 foot of nylon 1/4 inch ropeand farmer matches. Last of all the two way radio, 3 spare batteries,2 bic lighters and two sheets of bees waxed paper towels in a sandwich bag.

At Home::
Just the rifle of choice as well as 3 loads and the two way radio, knife and 4 foot of 1/4 inch nylon rope, thermos of Black tea with honey. One small freezer bag with surgal gloves, paper towels and wet wipes and a secondknife of course.

PS:::: the heart always goes in the freezer bag with the used paper towels wet wipes and gloves for the trip back to the cabin or house.

Al
Old 06-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ML Rifle already loaded....

Three bullets
Three powders
Cleaning jag
Twopatches (use spit for swabbing)
T-handle for ramrod-end
Short starter
Primers inserted in T-Boneholder