Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to Black Powder >

New to Black Powder

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to Black Powder

Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 PM

Default New to Black Powder

just gotta 1858 new army remington replica (very fun)......now im thinkin rifle...dixie has a 28 3/4'' barreled hawken percussionfer $285.00. i don't want nothin modern on a BP rifle like recoil pads sling swivels etc.. ajustable sight is ok wich it has. it also has the double set triggers and all the bells.

my question is?????????????it has 1 in 48 twist?????????im gonna use this rifle fer target mainly and also a "maybe" Elk hunt er two.. i know a slower twist is better fer balls and a faster one (1 in 32) is better fer conicals. i wanna use both fer target; and conicals fer elk (50 to 75 yards) i'll be happy with 3 to 6 inch groups at that range. is this rate of twist gonna do what im hopin fer???????????????????????????????????????? seems like a realy good price fer the rifle.

early
Old 05-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New to Black Powder

Yes the 1:48 twist will be more then able to handle roundball or conicals out to 100 yards with no problem. If you are real serious on the Elk part, then you might want to consider a .54 caliber rifle over a .50 caliber because of the better energy they have at long range. Also I personally feel a .54 caliber is one of the best all around hunting rifles made. Both can handle the job, I just like a .54 caliber when it comes to traditional rifles.

Who makes the Dixie rifles? Are they still Pedersolli?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:09 PM

thank's!
the one im lookin at is 54 cal. im serious about elk thats why im lookin at the 54.........i'll have ta call dixie ta find out who makes it??????

early
Old 05-26-2006, 11:07 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3461&osCsid=2449e fb042999aff260dc52cab2f26d0

If this is the rifle, it does not say who makes it but from looking at it I would guess it to be an Investarms or Pedersolli. These are made in Italy. Investarms is the same company that makes Lyman rifles. If this is the maker of the rifle, they are a good rifle. You can also get them through Cabela's which is much better to deal with if there is a problem then I ever found Dixie Gun Works to be. The reason I suspect it is not a Pedersolli is because of the price. They are much more expensive usually.

This rifle has a 1-48 twist and double set triggers. They usually have the better stock to reduce recoil. I have Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle and it is a real good shooter. Some other traditional rifles to look at are the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, Great Plains Hunter, Lyman Trade Rifle, and the Cabela's line of traditional rifles.

[hr]

I just looked over on Cabela's. WOW have those rifles gone up in price. You might want to check Tradition's Woodsman Hawkin although I do not think they come in .54 caliber anymore. They used to, and Sportsman's Guide was selling them very reasonable. I have a Tradition's Woodsman Hawkins and it is a great shooter..
Old 05-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish I could keep up with you cayugad so we could have a conversation, I'd be the better for it! I do enjoy your knowledge and passion of firearms. I can point and shoot them but much farther than that I leave it to my brother who has the same passion as yourself.

I need to hyjack this post as my new security system for this computor won't let me do anything but a quick reply. Hope you don't mind. It's got me by the short hairs

Are there any good books a guy could get in order to learn about firearms? Not in a manual type, but more in a story like your coments above about elk hunting. More of a field testing format. I'd like to learn about it for obvious reasons to blow my brother away sometime when were just about to go to sleep before the morning hunt. We get together every year.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Can't edit either. Should read "*and* to blow my brother away".
Old 05-27-2006, 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=3461&osCsid=2449e fb042999aff260dc52cab2f26d0

If this is the rifle, it does not say who makes it but from looking at it I would guess it to be an Investarms or Pedersolli. These are made in Italy. Investarms is the same company that makes Lyman rifles. If this is the maker of the rifle, they are a good rifle. You can also get them through Cabela's which is much better to deal with if there is a problem then I ever found Dixie Gun Works to be. The reason I suspect it is not a Pedersolli is because of the price. They are much more expensive usually.

This rifle has a 1-48 twist and double set triggers. They usually have the better stock to reduce recoil. I have Lyman .54 caliber Trade Rifle and it is a real good shooter. Some other traditional rifles to look at are the Lyman Great Plains Rifle, Great Plains Hunter, Lyman Trade Rifle, and the Cabela's line of traditional rifles.

[hr]

I just looked over on Cabela's. WOW have those rifles gone up in price. You might want to check Tradition's Woodsman Hawkin although I do not think they come in .54 caliber anymore. They used to, and Sportsman's Guide was selling them very reasonable. I have a Tradition's Woodsman Hawkins and it is a great shooter..
your absolutely right about cabelas being good ta deal with. i really; really like the Lymans great plains rifle; and i may hold out for it. i might check 'sportsmans warehouse' too i got some a my BP accesseries from them. my Dad (back in Michigan) has the cabelassporterized Hawken. i don't like the looks a the recoil pad or the sling swivels. (speakin of that)

how's recoil on these things??????????that cresent metal butt-plate gonna hurt me??????????????????

thank's again fer yer help!!!!!!!!!!!

early
Old 05-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

Can't edit either. Should read "*and* to blow my brother away".
Try this to correct your computer security problems if you have normal Windows.

At the top of the page toolbar, click on"Tools"
Click on "Internet Options"
Click on "Security"
Click on "Custom Levels"
Move your security level to "Medium Setting"

Also check your options for Pop-Ups. I don't allow pop-ups but keep that selector on medium also.

By-the-way..... buy a name-brand muzzleloader by Knight, White, Austin-Halleck, Thompson Center, Lyman, Pedersoli,Dixie or Cabelas.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: early

how's recoil on these things??????????that cresent metal butt-plate gonna hurt me??????????????????

thank's again fer yer help!!!!!!!!!!!

early
The recoil on a Lyman Trade rifle is next to nothing in my opinion. Much more comfortable to shoot then my .54,.58, or .62 caliber Renegades. The Lyman Trade rifle is a nice fitting rifle. You can really settle into it. It shoots roundball excellent, and it shoots Powerbelts!! 405 grain Powerbelts shot very good out of my Trade Rifle.

This is my first time out at 30 yards shooting my newLyman Trade Rifle. I should point out it is a flintlock and the first one I ever owned. As you could see shots #1, & #2 took me by surprise when that pan exploded with fire by my face. ThenI calmed myself down and started drilling. I was shooting 95 grains of Goex FFg and a home casted .530 roundball I casted out of old lead pipe. I was using some .018 pillow tick I buy by the yard at Wal Mart as patch, and MM means I was using moose milk as a lube. The Trade Rifle is a real shooter. I got mine for D&R Sports for around $249.00 new. Whether they still sell them I could not tell you.

I like the Lyman. It is real comfortable to shoot. I also had a chance to use their customer support. I needed the screws that hold the BarrelRib & Thimbles on. Mine were not lock tighted in when I got the rifle and the first time out, I pulled the ramrod out after a couple shots, and the screws fell into the snow... Well I called Lyman and they sent me all of them I wanted no questions asked.

Quick Reply: New to Black Powder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.