Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

gun??

Old 05-21-2006, 05:48 PM

Default gun??

im looking at getting a muzzeloader for the first time.. i dont have a lot of money to spend...so whats the best for not too much?
Old 05-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: gun??

You fail to provide a lot of information about your interests. There are some very reasonable inline rifles and then there are some traditional style rifles that you can pick up. There are new and used rifles on Auction sites that can often times provide an excellent deal for someone just starting out..

Also know the State regulations where you plan to hunt. Are there anything that is or is not allowed...

What interests you and what kind of projectiles do you like to shoot?

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much money is "Not Too Much"?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

uncballers45

There really is some good guns out there for some really reasonable prices... It really depends on what and how much you are going to use it.

Cayugad gave you the questions to ask yourself - give him some answers and he and others can give you their opinions.... and that is what they are opinions.

Good luck & good searching...

Old 05-21-2006, 07:46 PM

im willing to spend about $300-$400 without a scope. i need to do some more research because im not exactly sure on what i want or what style..but ideas are appreciated..
Old 05-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

uncballers45

OK - I will give you one thought. There are a lot of great gun names out there....but

I really do think one of the very BEST amd most complete all-around INLINE available today if you can still find one is the White Ultra Mag from Sportsman Wharehouse - it can use all three ignitions sytems - it will conicals as well as sabots - it is stainless with either a synthetic or laminated stock - it has an open breech as a lot of states require - it is strong and it is accurate.

That is just one opinion from looking at an all-around inline. If you want a to look at specilized inlines or even percussion sidelocks - there are a lot out there.

I own and shoot several inlines and each of them is very good in my opinion.. I shoot an Austin & Halleck, Remington Model 700Ml's, Omega, and now a White Ultra Mag - several different sidelocks. In my state the Omega is not even legal during ML season but I use a ML all season now - completly given up on centerfires - except in very specialized situations.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

As of last evening, there was ONE synthetic stocked Ultra Mag left at the Phoenix, AZ store. I think there may be some left in Anchorage, AK but somehow think the $15 shipping might not apply.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know what I'm going to say already don't ya, Thompson Center or nothing. I don't understand why anyone whould buy anything else. Full lifetime guarentee and made right here in the USA not just assembled here. You can get a very nice TC Black diomand for a lot less then the max dollar you want to spend. And I don't think any one here will argue that for the money you can't do any better for a magnum in line muzzle loader. Mike
Old 05-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

T/C Omega would be your smartest buy.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Spike

Thompson center Hawken or Renegade .54 or .50 your choice.Thats what started it all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.