Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thompson Center Renagade . 54 >

Thompson Center Renagade . 54

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Center Renagade . 54

Old 05-13-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Thompson Center Renagade . 54

I have this gun and i know nothing about black powder at all. What ammo and or powder should i use? also how much powder, wadding and things of this nature. I am a COMPLETE BLK powder noobie.

Old 05-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Default RE: Thompson Center Renagade . 54

PS the gun was free and came with NO paper work as far as cleaning and fireing. I know i need shotgun primiers(of think i know) to be able to fire it.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: SHoNUFF

PS the gun was free and came with NO paper work as far as cleaning and fireing. I know i need shotgun primiers(of think i know) to be able to fire it.
Call Thompson Center Arms on the telephone 1-603-332-2333 and tell them you need a manual for the Renegade. They will send you a small book filled with load data, step by step instructions on loading, shooting, cleaning, etc. Also it gives you some excellent loads to try in the rifle.

Also you do not need shotgun primers. You need #11 caps. Unless that rifle is sporting some fancy nipple it should have a #11 nipple on it. Look for RWS Dynamite Noble 1075 or CCI Magnum #11 caps. I have had terrible luck with Remington (although they claim they have made them hotter now) and the CCI #11 (non magnum).

No pellets with that rifle. Shoot loose powder only. The rifle will shoot any band of loose powder you might want to use. For now, I would get some 2f grade powder and start with that. Further down the road if you want, you can shoot some 3f grade powder. Also if you shoot loose Triple Se7en 2f powder, it is 15% stronger then normal powder so adjust your load accordingly. Black Mag is another strong powder. Some one said to cut that at 20%. I am sure a dedicated Black Mag shooter can tell you more.

So you will need some supplies to get yourself started. I own four of the .54 Caliber Renegade (one of my favorite model rifles) and all of them are great roundball shooters. I shoot a .530 roundball. Hornady or Speer are good. Also Buffalo Bullet Co. makes a good roundball. You can also cast your own if you have lead and molds.

The roundball normally shoot well with about 90 grains of 2f grade powder, a .015-.018 thick patch and ball. I lube and cut my own patches but you can purchase pre lubed Ox Yoke .015 patches for the rifle and they will work real good for you.

The rifle also shoots conicals very well. R.E.A.L. 300 grain conicals will shoot real good out of them. So will ball-et, and maxiball. If you would like a list of the things you might need to get started, there was a post covering that back a ways, or PM me and I can send you a list...

Good luck with your rifle. You have a GREAT RIFLE...
Old 05-13-2006, 05:22 PM

http://www.tcarms.com/
GIVE THEM A CALL ON MONDAY THEY WILL SEND YOU A FREE INSTRUCTION BOOK,READ IT BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING,THEN ASK QUESTION.
HEY: NICE LOOKING M/L
Old 05-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

WOW!! That thing looks dangerous you better ship it out to me so I can check it out to make sure it is safe!! You just can't be too carefull with guns like that.

Just kidding, find someone you know that shoots bp to help you your first time or two out shooting and you will be another bp addict. If you call T/C they will send you a free manual and I would read it two or more times before going out shooting and still try to find someone local to help you. After that I am sure you will be fine this is not rocket science.

Good luck this looks like an awsome rifle in good shape.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, you are in the right place. These guys are great. They have taught me so much about MLs. Good luck with the gun and don't hesitate to ask if you have a question. I have asked some that I thought must be pretty stupid and got walked through whatever I was facing. Have fun!
Old 05-13-2006, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the info. I will get on teh phone with thompson monday morning and order a manual. There is noone local that i know personally that uses BP. I got it in a raffle and they all told me to sell it, but i am very interested in the "primative" weapons. Started useing longbows instead of compund and now i am ready to try the BP. Thank you Cayugad for the intel. PM Sent.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

The other thing about the rifle you have, there are drop in barrels you can purchase that will change out the barrel you are currently shooting. Some of them do require minor adjustments to the rifle but nothing serious. These rifle barrels are made by Green Mountain Barrel Company the same maker of barrels for Knight Rifles. They come in twists from .62 caliber smoothbore shotgun,all the way down to .32 caliber for small game. The barrels also come in some interesting barrel twists such as 1-28 for shooting the modern sabots and 1-70 twist for shooting roundball with exceptional accuracy. I have a number of these barrels and they are top quality.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 PM

what would you say the average accuracy would be at 100yards with stock setup? 4" groups or better? I am a very stable shooter and very accurate with all my rifles. so i would like to think i can hold this true on my end, just not sure what to expect fromt eh gun itself. The mofo is heavy i know that much lol; shouldnt recoil much at all.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Dominant Buck

4" is not unreasonable. Some days I do much better then that and some days.. we do not like to talk about. If you set a coffee can on it's side I can hold them all inside the bottom of that can normally.

Although the Renegade is heavy, the recoil tends to go up on them not back so much. If you shoot it a lot with heavy loads you might have a sore cheek bone but seldom a sore shoulder.

Quick Reply: Thompson Center Renagade . 54

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.