Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 APP and Powerbelts? >

APP and Powerbelts?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

APP and Powerbelts?

Old 05-04-2006, 10:47 AM

Default APP and Powerbelts?

Has anyone tried Powerbelt bullets in conjunction with APP or Jim Shockey Gold powder? I'm wondering if the slower cooler push these powder exert would allow charges to be dialed up a bit from what is normally the upper limit on these projectiles - at least in terms of accuracy.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: APP and Powerbelts?

Roskoe.. I have a hard time getting accuracy when shooting "larger" conicals like the No Excuse or Powerbelts over 300 grain with APP 3f or Pinnacle. Lighter projectiles, and you can really do some fancy shooting but when the weight gets up there, the accuracy falls off.

Still the best powders I found for large conicals is Pyrodex P, Goex 3f, or Triple Se7en 2f & 3f (still working on my first pound of 3f but so far the results are very good). Do you think the larger conicals need that more explosive faster take off then the APP and Pinnacle might give?

Old 05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried both APP and Black Mag3 with powerbelts. From 80 grains to 110. Best groups have been about 5 inches at 100 yards from a bench rest, not great in my book. I am going back to 777 and try some small rifle primers. Let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:05 PM

That's what I thinking. The slow burn with low heat that works well with light sabots doesn't upset the big lead conicals enough to get a good "slug up" in the bore? Or maybe it would if a stouter charge was utilized?
Old 05-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You really need to buy a pack of Powerbelts to try inside your bore. Can't add anymore since you didn't mention the intended ML.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:49 PM

I have several packs of them - 348, 405, and 444 grain - so far the best accuracy has been with 2F Triple 7 - and with charges from 90 to 105 grains. Above that charge level, accuracy starts falling off in all three of my T/C guns. Some of the bullets are making a green smear going through the plywood at 100 yards - suggesting that the plastic skirt is not releasing from the stem at the back of the bullet. I remove the skirt and lube the stem. My thinking has been that the heavier charges are causing the stem to obturate and hang onto the plastic skirt.

Given that Triple 7 appears to be one of the hotter powders out there; I got to wondering what would happen with one of the cooler powders - at higher charge levels. May have to do a little testing here . . . . .
Old 05-04-2006, 03:51 PM

I don't know if my information is what you are looking
for. But I shoot APP but in stick form, rem. kleenbores,
50cal Omega. I have shot the PB'S with up to 150gr.
charge, groups were all over the place. So I tried the
Hornady 300gr. XTP-Mag HP they shoot really well in
my Omega. My normal charge is 100gr. but I still get
good accuracy even at 150gr. The only ML I own that
shoots PB'S very well is my 45cal Beartooth.
Danny
Old 05-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried APP,Gold, and Pinnacle with 250 and 300 gr in PB and Sabortooth.
The way I got the best group was with heavy loads of APPFF none of the FFFGold or Pinnacle compared the best I could do was 250 gr Sabortooth and 150 gr of FF App grouped 1.5 to 2 inch for three groups in a row[@ 100]and I can do that with Shock Waves at 150.Also I read about how they blow up and don't leave an exit hole that is a no no in my book. Lee
Old 05-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot 348 powerbelts over Black Mag and T7, I like the T7 a little better, 120 grains ,shot a bull elk with that load last fall. This was in an Omega.
Ken
Old 05-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Redclub

I have shot 348 powerbelts over Black Mag and T7, I like the T7 a little better, 120 grains ,shot a bull elk with that load last fall. This was in an Omega.
Ken
Ken first off, welcome to the forum. That shooting an elk with that powerbelt must have been a thrill. How well did the 348 act on the elk? What I mean was did it fragment? Did you get good penetration? How far did the animal move after getting hit? That must have been a good stout load for the Omega... sounds like a fun time.

Quick Reply: APP and Powerbelts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.