Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New TC

Old 04-30-2006, 11:11 AM

Default New TC

I'm buying my first blackpower & have decided on the Encore. Should I order one of the new ProHunters or just buy the regular Encore? It seems like the ProHunter has some features that I would probably want to add (aftermarket). Does the 2" barrel length make adifference? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New TC

ORIGINAL: swisslake

Does the 2" barrel length make adifference? Thanks.
You didn't say if the barrel was 2" longer or 2" shorter.

Maybe a 1/2-inch higher/lower target holeis all the differenceat 200 yards.

So in essence.... No!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the Encore would be all the muzzleloader you would ever need... there have been a lot of Encore shooters that posted some impressive targets from them. I have heard a report of people cutting off the OLA but I wonder about this.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I think the Encore would be all the muzzleloader you would ever need... there have been a lot of Encore shooters that posted some impressive targets from them. I have heard a report of people cutting off the OLA but I wonder about this.
If you start the sabot/bullet seating having your sabot petals aligned the same way every time with your grooves, then there's really no need to remove that QLA. All you need to do then is sight-in accordingly. In retrospect, that QLA doesn't involve accuracy... just bullet drift. If you are aligning the sabot properly & it keeps shooting left, adjust your sights to fix the problem.

I personally love QLAs. I wish all my rifles had it.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree with Triple Se7en on the QLA. My Black Diamond XR has one and I have never had a problem with it. I always line the sabot a certain way to the front sight of the rifle. I just found it strange that some people were cutting them off the rifles...
Old 04-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You cut them off when you have a barrel that won't shoot worth spit with them on. Changed my .45 from a rifle that didn't shoot very well at all to one that provides excellent accuracy. And yes, it do indeed have to do with accuracy when your QLA section is off center with the bore.

David White probably gets all of the QLA removal work he wants! I've yet to read anyone report anything but improved accuracy after one of his jobs is completed.

Redhawk1 over at Graybeard's has a new ProHunter Encore. You might go over and ask him if the differences are worthy of the extra cost.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Spike

Hi guys. The pro hunter is 2" longer. I am still waiting for the encore I ordered and I can't wait. Everyone I talk to says they are very happy.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:08 PM

I think you will find that the Encore will be a
great ML. Quality built; quality backed; with an
excellent service department, and excellent
warranty. Keep us posted on when it arrives &
how it shoots. Good luck Good shooting
God Bless.............................Danny
Old 04-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

I own many T/C rifles and they are all very good, well actually exellent rifles. I would not modify one unless it acted up and the factory would not fix it.

Oh, sorry if the gun acts up it has a life time warranty so buy at will.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

The QLA work good if its on dead center, but there are some that are not TC wil replace them should you happen to get one.
The two inches of barrel gives more sighting radius and more differance in fps with some powders, some powders are designed for pistols and short barrels. Lee