Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Good Reliable Blackpowder >

Good Reliable Blackpowder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good Reliable Blackpowder

Old 04-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Good Reliable Blackpowder

I was just wondering what some of you guys would suggest for a blackpowder rifle. I don't want to spend too much money, just something that would be reliable. Just looking for some suggestions
Old 04-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Good Reliable Blackpowder

If you want the cheapest really decent rifle I recommend the NEF Huntsman. American Made and compares with the Spanish imports from Traditions and CVA for price but IMO much better quality and backed by a large American company. There are a lot of aftermarket upgrades available for the rifle also including a smokeless powder barrel if you want to go into that later. I have one as well as several other Thompson Center rifles including an Omega and a couple of sidelock Hawkens. I have a lyman flintlock as well. If you could find an end of season sale at Walmart the Omega rifles were also very cheap but I think they are all sold by now. The NEF is the most rifle for the money at non-sale prices.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Cool, my buddies just bought their dad an Omega somethin or other last year and said it is a really nice gun. Just wondering what the prices are on that...also, what are the ranges on blackpowder guns?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

First off what restrictions if any is there for muzzleloader hunting in your State? Are there restrictions on ignition systems, scopes, projectiles, or anything? Also what are you interested in using the rifle for? Deer and targets? Elk some day? All of this might make a difference.

Are you interested in an inline rifle or a traditional rifle? Are you opposed to owning a used rifle because there are some good deals on used rifles. Are you interested in any one kind of action over another? ie; bolt, striker/hammer, break open...

The NEF Sidekick is a good rifle from all the posts I have read on it. There are also some great traditional rifles on auction sites that are new in the box that can be had for a reasonable price.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buck_Slayer

The Omega go from$275 and up... they really good guns... Bit as cayugad says check the rules for your state.

If you are serious about getting a higher quality gun in the Omega class, Sportsman Warehouses her in the west have an excetional gun deal going on a White Ultra Mag $299.00. Stainless Steel, Laminate of Synthetic stocks - all three ignition systems - capable of shooting conicals or sabots.

Check out cayugad's post about what you might like...or need.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Typical Buck

I was looking for something regarding restrictions on Black Powder but couldn't find any. Could it be that there are none? Does anybody know for sure Minnesotas Regulations. I will have to look into it more when I get home, but I have to jet.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:26 PM

Check your state regulations for ML in ML season. In Colorado you can not use inlines in special ML season (as far as I remember,) only caps and flinters.
Great Planes would be my rifle reccomendation, .54 will take down every big game in N. America, including moose, browns and polar bears.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/punkey5/photos%2019%20March/DSCF0570.jpg

src="http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/punkey5/photos%2019%20March/DSCF0573.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"></a>

Is there any more questions? As long as it says Thompson Centerfire Arms you will have the right gun!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

http://gf.nd.gov/licenses/deerguide.html#weapons

Here you will find the rules for your state. It states .45cal or bigger, prcussion or flint ignition and no telescopic scopes. From what I read percussion inlines are ok as well as 1 power scopes.

I hope this helps with your decision.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Typical Buck

The thing is I hunt minnesota though. Thanks for helpin me out though guys.

Quick Reply: Good Reliable Blackpowder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.