Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Conical Newbie

Old 04-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Conical Newbie

Hello all. It has been a while since I have posted. I have been busy shooting my <cough>center fire<cough> rifles.

But the ML itch is back-thank goodness-and sure enough I have a question.

I have only shot round balls out of my ML, a flintlock. However I would like to try conicals. It is rifled (1:42, I believe), so it can shoot them. However I was wondering the following:

1. Will I need to use a patch?
2. I have often read references to lubricants. Will I need to lubricate the conicals? If so, what is a good lubricant to use?

As always, thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

~Robert
Old 04-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Conical Newbie

You probably have a 1-48 twist.

With conicals you do not need a patch.

With conicals they do need to be lubed.

Wonderwads or bore buttons between the powder and the conical will often times improve accuracy.

I would suggest trying the T/C maxiball, R.E.A.L. conicals, or the Buffalo bullet ball-et in 245 grain
Old 04-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

1:48, yes that is correct, thank you. The perils of posting at work

Once again thanks Cayugad, I'll give those a try.

Will I need a special tip for my ramrod (ahem!) or will the tip used for roundballs be OK?

~Robert
Old 04-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Dominant Buck

For most of the conicals I mentioned, a simple loading jag like you would use with your roundball will be just fine. Also sometimes you find that powerbelts will shoot real well out of 1-48 twist if you do not push them too hard.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:50 PM

The buffalo ball-ets are lubed when you get them and you can use the same tip as you use for your roundballs..

good luck !
Old 04-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about sabots? Can I use them or are they for inlines only?

Please correct me if I am wrong; the purpose of a sabot, is that to achieve a higher velocity and flatter trajectory without necessarily increasing the powder charge?

~Robert
Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Some 1-48 twist rifles doa real good job with sabots. Normally you will want the lighter ones in say the 240 grain range. At least those are the ones I found that shoot the best out of my 1-48 twist rifles.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

RobertSubnet

For me it is the opposit - my 1/48's shoot 300 grain .452 absolutely great, but I do not have much luck with the lighter ones... goes back to it truly is the rifle - you will not know until you try.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader, that really is the exception usually the slower twist rifles want a shorter bullet. I actually have some inlines that are 1:48 and found lighter conicals work best in them. I tried some sabots but most rounds keyholed the target with them. T/C sells a round called the "Bigshot" based I believe on a .458 bullet I bet they would shoot fine in a 48.

I look at it this way, would you expect a 460g "No Excuse" to work well in a 48 twist?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pittsburghunter

I do not know what to tell you, but I have an old Renegade 1/48 and it is really is groups well. I have no problem shooting it out to 150 yards with a 300 grain XTP and an MMP sabot. Not going to tell you a get a great group, but i can stay inside a paper pie plate most often. I have shot350 grain Speer .458's in an MMP sabot from my TC Hawkinwas even thinking about using it for an elk bullet - it was really accurate and really thumped hard. My Lyman Trade rifle (54 cal) actually shoots best of all with a heavy sabot bullet combination.

My hunting partner has a TC Hawkin and he shoots the same 300 grain bullet... We can use sabot in Idaho

Do not have any good reason why or why not - it just works...

Quick Reply: Conical Newbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.