HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Ultra mag with a Millet Scope (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/139562-ultra-mag-millet-scope.html)

cayugad 04-13-2006 02:34 PM

Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

This is what the new Ultra Mag looks like with a Millet Buck Silver mounted on Weaver bases with Warne Quick Release rings. I've been so busy this week I dropped the rifle off at a gun smith and told him to mount it. I told him not to remove the rear sight. As I see it, there is no reason to have quick release rings when you have no sights in the rifle.

Well I picked it up today and was a little concerned about how far the rifle sat back on the rifle. Even the gunsmith told me he could not get it any further forward and suggested if it does not work out, I might want to change scopes..

So I took the rifle home. Of course the weather was raining, but that never stopped me. I set the target out at 50 yards and was using Kleenbore 209 Primers as the ignition system. The load was 90 grains of Goex 3f (I figured if I was going to take a shot between the eyes might as well make it good) a 1/16th wad and the 460 grain No Excuses.

I got smacked a couple times when I was not paying attention.. but if you hold on to it, all it does is knock your hat around. I was pleased with the accuracy. Although, a few more raps between the eyes and I might have to change scopes...:D

Triple Se7en 04-13-2006 03:40 PM

RE: Ultra mag with a Millet Scope

I need the utmost eye relief when shooting conicals that size. Perhaps I would of reached for my Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32with 6" of eye-relief.

I promised myself a few years ago that I would never sustain another brow-area cut from a scope.

Nice set-up there! Just keep a bandaid or two in your wallet...[:@]

I'll bet you are happy to see some of your lawn again too!

Just be careful where you walk... dodging months of dog poop...:D

lemoyne 04-13-2006 03:43 PM

Is that snow in the back ground? It got up to 90 in AR today could we barrow a bit of that snow? Lee

Hunter John 04-13-2006 03:48 PM

Cayugad - Boy, that White can sure throw a conical...when it's in the right hands of course.:D By the way, are you getting used to the cocking mechanism being on the left hand side of the receiver?

After doing some research on the Ultra Mag and reading all the reports that folks have written it seems that it's a real hum dinger of a rifle...it's just that darn cocking mechanism being on the wrong side (if you're a right handed shooter).

Why in the heck them there boys at White do that ??? :eek:[:@]

Underclocked 04-13-2006 04:21 PM

Hunter John, I thought that would bother me too, but it took about 5 minutes to get used to it.

cayugad 04-13-2006 04:46 PM

Triple Se7en .. I agree. I hate the eye brow smacks. If I can not get used to this, I will change over to a different scope or worse comes to worse, take the rear sight off and move that scope up. I have to admit it is nice to see the lawn but that just means more work taking care of that. As for the doggy drops, I trained mine to never use the lawn, it heads for the woods when the urge calls. In 12 years, I never had to pick a pile.

lemoyne.. that is indeed snow. In fact I took the ATV back in the woods and almost got stuck in two places where the snow was so deep I bottomed out.. I have to go and drop some trees this week and stop shooting. :D

hunter john.. believe it or not the lever on the other side is no bother at all. I don't even think about it.

AQUATECH 04-13-2006 09:14 PM

Really nice looking set-up. Not bad shooter either:D.
Yep send me a couple inches of that snow; they
are calling for maybe 90 this weekend.[:o]I can tell
you them eyebrow stiches, itch like crazy before
they come out[&:]. Keep us posted on the new one!
Danny

alleyyooper 04-14-2006 06:20 AM

Nice looking set up there.
I like the yards back ground too.
:DNever had the brow bangs as I had to much respect for dads 284.
Nice groups, I have always wondered though why a person can get a couple of holes touching and the third one is out aways?
Is your shooting bench thawed out yet?

:) Al

cayugad 04-14-2006 06:46 AM

yes the bench is finally thawed out and moving again. Now the snow banks are melted enough that I can move around. The yard is kind of soft and the bench does not roll real well yet, but I can and have moved it. I will be cutting deeper into the shooting lane soon. Then I can have at least 100 yards of range all year long. It will make a much better testing area for me.

I have been thinking all night about the position of that scope on the rifle and I do believe I have to remove the rear sight or change out scopes. If I went to that small Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32 I might be able to keep the sights. Next trip to the city will make up my mind. Or a couple good smashed in the face by the current set up.. :D

Hunter John 04-14-2006 07:09 AM

Cayugad – I understand the dilemma facing you. You bought a hum dinger of a rifle and you want to flexibility of using it with a scope and without…hence you had the quick release rings installed. Who can blame a guy for wanting to be able to use his newest toy for every occasion?

Seems like you have 3 choices:

- Leave the current set-up “as is” and accept the fact that you may be smacked around every so often. (worst choice IMO)

- Remove the Millet scope and designate the rifle a short range “iron sight only weapon.

- Again, remove the nice Millet scope, but install a shorter scope or red dot.

Given your extensive collection of muzzleloaders and scopes, it seems all options are on the table and basically it will come down to personal choice. Obviously, a scope can be installed or removed at any point so it’s not like you’re committed to your first decision anyway.

Man, wish I had your problems…:eek: Please keep us posted on your White’s performance and what you ultimately decide.:D

txfireman 04-14-2006 07:22 AM

Cayugad, does the Weaver quick releases come in a taller ring. That might get you over the top of the rear sight, just a thought. I did that on my Encore and it worked great.

cayugad 04-14-2006 07:35 AM

Yes it does, but I do not think it would get me ove the sight. I am planted at the base of the rear sight. I'd have a long way to climb with going from a medium to a taller sight. I think I am just going to have to pull the rear sight or change out scopes. It gives me a reason to scope my Knight Disc Rifle I guess. Get the Nikon for the White and pull the sights from the Knight and throw the Millet on that..

Triple Se7en 04-14-2006 08:56 AM

The Prostaff would be a better choice for that rifle. Besides giving you more forward room for sliding,it has slightly more eye relief than the Millet also.

I can't get over how clear the glass is on my Prostaff. I'm not sure there is a clearer view scope in the $120 range. Although my Sightron SI has more "toys/options" in the same price range, the Prostaff is slightly clearer to look out.

Pittsburghunter 04-14-2006 06:50 PM

Removing the rear sight can sometimes get rid of the little fuzzy area at the bottom of the scope as well as give you more movement. Three years ago I needed to do it with the upgrade on my Savage 110. I felt real bad about it the rifle had been stock since I was 18 (many moons ago) but after shooting it just once without the sights "ghosting" in the scope I knew I did the right thing.

cayugad 04-14-2006 07:01 PM

WellI have a couple of irons in the fire now, as we speak. If this does not work, I am going to get the Pro Staff and mount that on the White and put the Millet on my Knight Disc rifle..

I agree that removing the rear sight is not all that bad a thing.. Even taking the front site off. On my other rifles, on the low settings, I can see the front sites..

Triple Se7en 04-14-2006 07:21 PM

Off-topic

I still cannot believe Remington shipped me 250 of those targets - exactlylike you posted in this thread - for only $6.

What's up with that? I wish they would play Santa Claus more often :D:D

cayugad 04-14-2006 08:04 PM

Underclocked told me about those targets and at first I figured there had to be a catch. But I ordered them anyway. When they arrived for like you, $5.95 I was very pleased....

Underclocked 04-15-2006 04:20 PM

My wife has ordered some now. ;)

cayugad 04-15-2006 05:59 PM

does she shoot as much as you? :D:D

lemoyne 04-15-2006 07:30 PM

Cayuqad, when I built my last Hawken I put the scope on first and mounted the rear sight in front of it, it looks a bit different but works just fine. I really don't understand why some people think iron sights are for short range only. Lee

cayugad 04-15-2006 07:38 PM

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Cayuqad, when I built my last Hawken I put the scope on first and mounted the rear sight in front of it, it looks a bit different but works just fine. I really don't understand why some people think iron sights are for short range only. Lee
lemoyne... to be honest, when I was younger all I ever hunted with was iron or peep sights. Then as I got older I started finding that after 125 yards, I was not able to place my shots the way I wanted to anymore. I am afraid that that distance is reducing all the time. Right now, out to 100 yards I am still comfortable with open sights. After that, I really find the advantages in the scope. Lucky for me, most my shots are all close range...

I do actually like hunting with scopes.

cayugad 04-19-2006 01:41 PM

I got up early and wanted to shoot the White Ultra Mag to make up my mind about whether or not the Millet Buck was staying on the rifle. After a couple knocks on the eye brow I knew it had to be moved forward which meant removing the rear sight.

Instead I took the rifle to the big city and purchased a Nikon 2-7x32 Pro Staff and had that mounted instead. As you can see I have the rear sights still in place, the Warne QD rings still, and plenty of eye relief. Almost 4" I believe it is. The fellow at the gun shop even offered me the use of the range. I told him had I known that, I'd of come loaded for bare.

I think this Nikon will work out fine.

Triple Se7en who has never steered me wrong yet, made up my mind actually...

The Pro-staff would be a better choice for that rifle. Besides giving you more forward room for sliding,it has slightly more eye relief than the Millet also.

I can't get over how clear the glass is on my Pro-staff. I'm not sure there is a clearer view scope in the $120 range. Although my Sightron SI has more "toys/options" in the same price range, the Pro-staff is slightly clearer to look out.
It really does seem like the perfect scope for this rifle. I am more them pleased with the clarity. With a 75 yard parallax that should work just fine for the focus part.

As for the Millet.. well I guessI have to get another rifle to mount that on... just kidding..:D I am thinking of throwing that Millet on my Knight Disc or my CVA Staghorn and then RED DOT the CVA Stalker...

Anyway, that's what the set up looks like now...

Hunter John 04-19-2006 02:07 PM

Cayugad - Nice looking rig. Will have to keep the Nikon 2-7x32 Pro Staff in mind next time I'm looking for a scope that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Please continue to post your experiences with your White. I'm really intrigued so far. If experience is any guide, this feeling usually leads to a thinner wallet, but a happier "Hunter John" :D:D

cayugad 04-19-2006 02:21 PM

[&o] a much thinner wallet. Actually the Pro Staff is $120.00 at http:www.ultout.com and that includes shipping. While the fellow at the gun shop could not match that price, he threw in the mounting and a few other extras.

Plus he showed me some excellent rifles... :D

sabotloader 04-19-2006 02:36 PM

cayugad

If mine ever gets here I am going to put a Bushnell 3x9x40 Trophy I have here on it. I do have a Sightron SI but I think I like the Trophy better.

Just wish the darn thing would get here...

What height are you rings? medium of high?

cayugad 04-19-2006 02:47 PM

Warne QD medium rings... they are excellent..

Triple Se7en 04-22-2006 09:01 AM

That Millet would go-good on your "long, straight stock"Knight Disc. More up-front protection there for scopes with less eye relief.

Off-topic Dave.....

Did the Bushnell ML forum die recently? I tried unsuccessfully clicking-on today. Appears to have gone to the same forum heaven as CVA's old forum..lol:D

cayugad 04-22-2006 12:33 PM

I sent you a PM :D

Triple Se7en 04-22-2006 01:51 PM

Got it! [:o]