Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Really Hard to Beat a Remington >

Really Hard to Beat a Remington

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Really Hard to Beat a Remington

Old 04-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Really Hard to Beat a Remington

Well, it sort of quit raining so I finally got out to sight in the older Remington (24"). Before shooting the Remington I decided to shoot the 870 at a turkey target to pattern and test range - now I gotta tell you I have NO complaints about recoil from any ML load after shooting that 4 dram Federal turkey load - that thing will set you back a bit...

Now I gotta tell you I do like the new Omega - but I really do like the Remingtons. And at this point I can not tell you there are any real advantages to the Omega other than a longer working barrel. I had removed the Bushnell Elite from the Remingtonto put on the new Omega and installed a new Sightron SII - 3x9x42 on the Remington a couple of weeks ago and I have been itching to get it sighted back in.

Well it really did not take long to get the gun sighted in, the darn thing is so consistent and shoots so well. This is the designated deer rifle - so I was shooting 250 grain Speer Gold Dots in MMP HPH-24 sabots pushed by 110 grains of T7-2f with the Cabelas conversion. I am really sold on these Gold dots for deer.

Well, anyway after sighting the gun in on paper - I was going to post that target but I found something else to shoot at that was more fun. I was in an area that I call Strychnine Gravel Piles. A lot of people sight guns in there. Well somebody had placed some Quartzite rocks on top of two stumps and I really wanted to knock them off. I completed sighting the gun in - I would have shot more at the paper - but those two rocks were just begging to be had. I also felt this might be a good test of these Bonded 250's to see if the would break through a shoulder at 100+ yards. From this experiment there is no question... the bullet split the rock in two nice pieces - if you look close enough you can see the lead markings on the rock.

It was a great day with a great gun....

Old 04-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Really Hard to Beat a Remington

What do you think of that Sightron Scope then? Nice shooting to hit that kind of target. Sounds like you're all set. As for turkey loads, I was testing my double 12 gauge the other day with the 3" Nitro Express and actually touched both triggers ONCE! There is no muzzleloader that could match that push...
Old 04-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

What do you think of that Sightron Scope then?
I certainly adjusted up really nice and it is really CLEAR - but there is something in the picture that I am not use to - can not really put my fnger on it - seems like I can see to much inside of it that makes any sense - just not sure yet... mind you I am not complaining but as compared to the Elite or my Leupolds - there is something different...

Almost forgot - pulling both triggers on that shotgun - had to set you back a bit....

Doesn't look bad though...

Old 04-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

The clearity and focus free use of the Sightron is what amazed me. When Triple Se7en first suggested I might want to try one I was a little unsure. I went with a Bushnell Banner the first time. Now the Banner has been a great scope, but with the Sightron, at dusk, you can still see a long way back in the woods with it. I am wondering how well I will like the Millet Gold Buck I ordered..
Old 04-09-2006, 04:15 PM

Cayugad..I have a low end millet on my 54 cal. thunderhawk I know it a buck something ,just remember the name.I think the scope is excellent and I have pushed the thunderhawk with some heavy charges and never had any problems with the millet scope.I think it went for $68.00 bucks about 4 years ago and still works great for the price.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Guess I have never had a multi-powered scope that wasn't focus free so that point didn't even down on me - you just gave another experiment I will try tonight off the deck with all three scopes, Bushnell Elite, Leupold VX-III, and the Sightron - which one looks into the night better.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Millet - I think you will really be happy with it. I think Big 6x6 was using one once.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sit the rifle with the Sightron mounted on a steady rest...look through the scope and zero the crosshairs on something. Switch your focus to the crosshairs only, then raise your head up while watching them. Do the same again except side to side.

Now do the same test witha Leupold.

Let me know if you notice any differences.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

Are you asking about paralax? I can tell you from past experiance there is next to none in the Leupold.... And maybe that is what I am noticing in the Sightron - the edges... I do not see (or maybe notice)the edges in the Leupold or the Bushnell Elite. I really do not know how to explain what I am thinking or seeing but something is just a little foreign when looking through the Sightron - right down the middle is great, but SOMETHING bothers me around the edges.

I'll give your suggestion a try and get back....
Old 04-10-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

No, not parallax but rather the way the reticles curl up and down, side to side as you move your head. I think the center stays pretty well put but that reticle behavior really BUGS me (reminds me too much of a Tasco World Class - the new, cheapy ones that aren't worth spit).

The best test might not be the one I outlined, just hold the rifle up to the point where you can see the crosshairs then move your head while watching them. Try the same with a Leupold. I've got one of these http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ST100993that I would gladly swap for a 3x9 VX-II or Vari-X II in good shape.