Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Target Stand

Old 04-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default New Target Stand

I decided to really accomplish something today. Then of course I was lucky enough to talk myself out of that foolishness.

I did build a new target holder that is taller then the snow banks.. It is made out of 3/4 CPVC pipe. It comes apart real easy, so it is portable. I want to get over to my friends farm and do some long range shooting in the near future so this will come in handy.

I wanted to see how my new free targets looked on them. Then since I had a new target stand that was taller then one of the snow banks, I decided a person should shoot.

So I wanted to try the White Ultra Mag with and without the vegetable wads. The circled area is with wads. I don't count the last shot in the bulls eye because I adjusted my POI from a true 6 o'clock hold to a full covered hold...

This was at 50 yards (actually the range finder said 51 yards) with 90 grains of Goex 3f (wads) and a 460 grain No Excuse Conical. I was using #11 CCI Magnum Caps.

My scope and rings should be here Monday so I wanted to get some open sight shooting in before all of that arrived.

Overall I was pleased with the way the rifle shot. To be honest, I have a hard time even at 50 yards to see the center of that bull. That's why I put an orange sticker on it and that actually confused my eyes more I think.. because of the red front fiber optic sight...

But just being outside and shooting was fun. The first shot on a clean barrel was the worst of course. Then as the rifle got filthy, it really settled down and started shooting..

I then took out a couple other rifles and new targets to play with them. One was a traditional rifle I just bought. A CVA Stalker Carbine with a 1-32 twist 21" barrel. CVA just worked the trigger pull over for me on it, and the rifle shoots really good. The trigger is real light and no creep. The old style iron sights were easy to use on this new target. I was more then happy with that rifle so far.

For an inexpensive rifle it really does shoot maxi ball well. This was at the same distance with 80 grains of Goex 2f and a wad...
Old 04-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Target Stand

cayugad

That is really cool... see you got you Remington targets also.

Might have to make me one of those - not quite a large but it certainly looks like yours will be functional...

Tried to shoot today - I want to get the 24" Remington sighted in again - I robbed the Elite scope off it to put on the Omega. I got a replacement scope for a Sightron SII 3x9x42 so I need to get it sighted in. I do not know why but the field of view seems more narrow throught the Sightron - but other than that it looks really good. I did takethe cowards way out today though - way to much rain so now I am waiting for tomorrow.

What are you going to shoot 'long range?'

Old 04-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Long Range - 100-200 yards

I want to shoot the Black Diamond XR with pellets,with 200 grain Shockwaves, and the Knight Disc, the Wolverine, and the White Ultra Mag. Plus I want to throw some .58 caliber roundballs downrange and see how accurate that thing can be at extreme distances..

I might even try some of the flintlocks at like 125 yards just to see where they would hit. It makes it easier to know if you would dare shoot that far. Plus the Renegade with the Stainless Steel barrel I think will be accurate downrange...

My scope for the White will be here Monday. It is a Millet Gold Buck with Warne QD rings.. So I want to have the sights on also.. The White will be a do everything kind of rifle I am hoping.

I have a lot of rifles I want to try...It will be a nice change from this close quarter shooting. Even today just getting to 50 yards reminded me of how much I miss my long range shooting.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Do you have to join anything or buy something to get the free targets?

BTW great shooting Cayugad Nice to see both new rifles working out.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice Dave. FedEx bring that PVC?
Old 04-08-2006, 06:49 PM

Good to see that PVC pipe can be used for
something besides carrying water. Nice job!
Thats some good shooting too, glad you were
able to get some in today. I made the comment
that maybe I should shoot today, but my wife
said my time would be better used playing one
of the Fantastic Four: in full costume with rock
hands & feet; at my grandsons 5th. birthday
party. You ain't lived till you see a 58 yr. old
fat man in full latex with muscles.
I put in my order today for 100 Hornady 300gr.
XTP-mag bullets & 100 Harvester crushrib sabots
so partime super-hero will shoot for food.
Good shooting & God Bless............Danny
Old 04-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting and nice target stand!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

Do you have to join anything or buy something to get the free targets?

BTW great shooting Cayugad Nice to see both new rifles working out.
No I do not think you have to join anything actually. Do a search on The Remington Store and then search their targets. There is no cost for them but shipping and you're allowed five packages. They might be out by now, I know there were a lot of people after them. So for $5.95 I got five packs of targets.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Very nice Dave. FedEx bring that PVC?
I've been meaning to make one of them for a long time, but never got around to it. I had to run into town today for a few items at the hardward/lumber yard and remembered the CPVC. So we got that at the same time... For under $20.00 I have a nice portable target stand. I set it up today so that my shooting into the woods would mark upthe trees that I have to drop for my new long distance shooting range..
Old 04-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: AQUATECH

Good to see that PVC pipe can be used for
something besides carrying water. Nice job!
Thats some good shooting too, glad you were
able to get some in today. I made the comment
that maybe I should shoot today, but my wife
said my time would be better used playing one
of the Fantastic Four: in full costume with rock
hands & feet; at my grandsons 5th. birthday
party. You ain't lived till you see a 58 yr. old
fat man in full latex with muscles.
I put in my order today for 100 Hornady 300gr.
XTP-mag bullets & 100 Harvester crushrib sabots
so partime super-hero will shoot for food.
Good shooting & God Bless............Danny
If you have some photos Danny I am sure the crew here would like to see them. And we would enjoy them a great deal...

I ordered 150 more maxi ball today from BlackJack Hills. I know he is swamped, but by the time I need them he should have them made. My little Stalker Carbine really likes those as do a couple other rifles of mine.

Quick Reply: New Target Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.