Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Peep sight options? >

Peep sight options?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep sight options?

Old 04-07-2006, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Peep sight options?

I am working on a Lyman GPR/H from a kit and am considering putting a peep sight on it. I know the Lyman 57GPR sight will mount on the tang. What other peep sight's will work on these rifles? What peep sights have any of you used that seem to work well?

I think the 57 will work fine but it looks kind of chunky in the pictures, I haven't seen one up close and personal. I saw a picture of a T/C tang sight that looked closer to what I like. I've tried out a peep sight on a older CF rifle that was just a screw post flip up design with an apature, it was small and unobtrusive but worked well.

I know you guys have some opinions out there, let's hear them.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:22 AM

Default RE: Peep sight options?

I have a t/c hunter peep on my hawkens flinter t/c 50 cal.works great ,I found you may have to open the peep to a 1/64 drill for early and late evening hunts to get more light.I also use a fiber optic front sight ,the two together work excellent.I have to agree with you the lyman is chunky I have one on my 45-70 BC.
I seen a good deal on the lyman peep used $45.00 over at graybeard .com
Old 04-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thats a good one,For hunting I like a TC or a Williams hunting peep and you woll find the advice above for opening them for hunting is good; I take hunting guns out at twlight and open them till they work for me it really dont affect accuracy as far as I am concerned, finding the right front sight for this use is very important. Lee
Old 04-07-2006, 12:37 PM

For hunting, I use a Williams with a .082aperature and like to have it as close to my eye as possible without risking contact under recoil. For the front sight, use a green fiber optic rod .040. This is a great setup for low light hunting. Works, for me, as well as a low powered scope.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

the best sight i have on my hawkins is thepeep from www.rmcsports.com