Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Home made Conical lube >

Home made Conical lube

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Home made Conical lube

Old 04-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Spike

Default Home made Conical lube

Cayugad,
I made a batch of lube for my conicals last night using your directions with Bees wax,castor oil and Murphys oil soap.It came out perfect.I also greased up 40 .380 R.E.A.L conicals I received from BJH. I'm ready for the first test.
I liked the lube much better than bore butter, next time I might add a tad more bees wax to make it a little more thicker. Thanks for the great tip.
Sam
Old 04-05-2006, 08:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Home made Conical lube

sam - glad the lube worked for you. I also add a little more bees wax in my mix but you will find the mixture you have will pack the conicals real good and it will shoot just fine.. Let me know how it works.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, what are the specifics of that recipe? Proportions?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

whatever it is it sounds good, just dont use the homemade lube some smuck at the range last week tryed to sell me onto using vaseline and transmission fluid. I did make some up though to try out as fishing reel lube.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:48 AM

Underclocked - I came across a homemade conical lube posted by Cayugad awhile back. It peeked my curiousity so much I decided to "cut-n-paste" it to a save place.

So here's the recipe...again, Cayugad owns the copyright and demands a percentage from all sales

Homemade bore butter type lube using bees wax
Homemade bore butter type lube using bees wax

2 ounces of Bees Wax
8 ounces of Castor Oil
1 ounce Murphy’s Oil Soap

Using a double boiler system, melt the bees wax. While keeping the wax liquid, heat the Castor oil with the double boiler also. Then mix the two together. Stir them together and while doing this a scum will form. You need to scrap the scum off the liquid. Once the scum is scraped off the mix, then add the Murphy’s Oil Soap and stir fast while it is melted. This will make a nice frothy appearance and very smooth. Pour the mix into containers and it will set up in a couple hours.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, might have to try that one some of these days. Got 5 pounds of beeswax from Al - gotta figure out something to do with it!

Lets see, 5lbs x 16oz/lb / 2oz/batch = 40 batches of lube. Oh my.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 66% Cabelas Lube (white stuff)
...... 34% Bore Butter or Wonderlube 1000

Put the two together in a microwave bowl.... nuke it& stir immediately.
Then take needle-nose pliars & dip thenecessary portion of the bullet. Let dry - then use a small knife to remove the lube from the hollow bottom-base.The very littlein diameter excess gets removed upon loading.

Here is another homemade recipe that folks swear-by.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/lube.htm
Old 04-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I made a small batch of JUNIOR LUBE and it works really good. I used to to patch roundball and it was as good as any other lube that I tried...
Old 04-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a whole crockpot full of my pinkish "bubblegum" lube. Started out as some nice lube Bowers made up for me but I have definitely altered it with the passage of time. Couldn't even tell you what is in there now ... but it still works great!

So far as lubing conicals for hunting bullets, I don't think the lube mix is all that critical. My pot of mystery lube is proof of that!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Spike

Cayugad recipe is the same as I used, except I only made half as much.
I also bought some wax from Al and its clean and pure.

Next batch I will add just a little more wax.

I used 1 once of bees wax
4 ounces of Castor oil
1/2 ounce of Murphys oil soap.

1 1/4 ounces of wax for me next time.

Quick Reply: Home made Conical lube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.