Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm ready...

Old 03-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default I'm ready...

Thanks to those that helped out with my questions concerning Colorado ML Regulations. I finally have a grasp on things.

I purchased my new ML this past weekend. I went with a TC Omega in .50 cal. I'm hoping to get to the range later this week to start figuring out some loads. Any recommendations would be appreciated. The load will be for elk. The salesman (who was not a 17 year old pup and seemed to have quite a bit of experience) said he uses 410 gr Great Plains with a 120gr charge (777). That seems beefy to me and I don't know how many times I want to shoot 120gr. Any thoughts on that?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I'm ready...

Maybe you might want to look into a Simms Recoil pad if you're going to start pushing lead like that. Roskoe will be able to tell you some conical loads. I think he has been working on a lot of different ones with his Omega and he hunts them giant critters out there too...

Nice rifle and good selection. That rifle will serve you many years to come.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

fillae

Just to throw another option in the mix - when I was doing some work on making a decision about bullets one of the bullets I looked at was the 460 NE it is a great conical. I did run the ballistic on a calculator and if had to choose between it and a PowerBelt I probably would have gone with the 460. I can not remember who first suggested it weather it be cayugad or underclocked, but it could really be a goodbullet it the ranges are not out there.

When Roskoe picks this up he will add his thoughts. I think the number one bullet of choice during ML season in Colorado is the PowerBelt, mostly because the ease of loading - not performance.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

sabotloader,

I'll check out the 460 NE. I thought about using the PowerBelt, but I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the only lead round they have is a hollow point. I don't think the penetration would be as good as with a flat point. You did say they were used because of convenience and not performance. Are my assumptions about the hollow point and penetration reasonable?
Old 03-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

fillae

First off you need to know that I am not a powerbelt fan even though they are made here in Idaho, so you need to take my remarks in that since.

PowerBelts in my mind are nothing more than elongated round lead balls. They can be very effective and they can also not be so effective. They do make a Powerbelt that does not have a HP it a really heavy variety. The HP is not the issue for me - it the fact that hey can blow-up if shot at a high rate of velocity. I also have an issue with the thickness and the toughness of an Elks hide, then the size of the bones... A lot of elk have been killed with a Powerbelt - I am or would choose the 460 on the basis of shear weight and force that the projectile carries. I also understand that my effective range will be reduced.

I also share your belief that a HP will not penetrate as deeply a an old fashioned bullet. In Idaho we can use sabota and a regular bullet - so for elk here I shoot a 300 grain Nosler Partition to insure penetration and no blowing up.

I am not the expert on lead or powerbelt bullets as I use regular bullets, but there certainly are some good ones on here. Hopefully cayugad or UC will come back on and discuss the 460 with you...

mike
Old 03-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Since you're shooting an Omega you might want to try the 460 grain No Excuse Conical. Load about 80 grains of Triple Se7en under them Whether a wad will help you would have to experiment with. They have a lot of weight and a lot of down range energy. I have never shot an elk with a muzzleloader so all I can do is guess how effective they would be. They would be my choice for a hunting projectile in your circumstances.

Another choice is the good old Thompson Center Maxi Ball (Not the Maxi Hunter). You can push these pretty hard and remember, they are 370 grains is weight. They should get good penetration and do a number on anything you want to poke a 1/2 inch hole through. I read on another forum where a person with an Omega was going to use them out west because they shot excellent out of his rifle with 100 grains of Pyrodex. (I think it was.. I'd better go back and check his post before I swear to it).

Then there are the Great Plains Conicals. They should shoot well out of the Omega... all you can do is put in the range time and try.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

I've read alot of contradictory stuff about what shoots well from the Omega's (powder, bullet, wad, no-wad), so the only thing I can do is try them all out. That's part of the fun of ML in my opinion, and why I bought one.

I have been searching the web everywhere for the No Excuses. Where can I buy these?
Old 03-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

fillae

OK I am worried I just did a search for his web- site it didn't show - hopefully ssomebody that has delt with will have his address - I know it is on one of the computers at home I'll try this evening....
Old 03-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/page2.html No Excuse Conicals.

that link works... I just ordered a couple more boxes of them That White Rifle of mine eats them like candy.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:40 PM

Congrats on a great choice for your ML. I think
you will like it, and the way it performs. That
being said I can't tell you much about hunting
elk with big bullets. But if you are going to load
125-150gr.powder charges you might look at the
ballastics on either the 300gr. Barnes Expander
or the Hornady 300gr. XTP mag. These two will
scoot when loaded heavy. There are, as already
stated, some heavy bullet guru's on this forum
and they will be glad to help. Good Shooting &
God Bless Danny

Quick Reply: I'm ready...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.