Yes, I got an urge and bought another rifle. This time it is one of the rifles I have always wanted so maybe this will end my collection foolishness. It is a White Ultra Magnum M97. It has a 26 Stainless Steel Barrel,..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I done it again... >

I done it again...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I done it again...

Old 03-25-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I done it again...

I thought Steve did very well!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chirp chirp

I remember the sealing suggestion - thanks for the link.

Gotta slow down - not even sure of how many scope set ups I need. And time to have a sale soon for some of the lonely dust collectors.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:34 PM

Birchwood Casey TRUE OIL ALSO DOES AN EXCELLENT JOB IN SEALING THE STOCK
Old 03-25-2006, 07:37 PM

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=45500243
HEY GUYS IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED I SEEN IT ON THE AUCTION
Old 04-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot my UltraMag today for the first time since putting a scope on a couple of days ago.

TooTall (fellow name of Larry from DWBs) sent me a few bullets to check out. Very nicely done!! Also took some of the PowerPunch bullets that came with the rifle just to get the scope close, then moved on out to 100 yards. Nice and sunny when I started but fully overcast when I quit (just after this group). Stormed a little shortly afterwards. Conditions were otherwise very favorable, only a light occasional breeze.

The PowerPunch bullets were just a tad larger diameter than the others. I had mic'd those at .505 several days ago and that measurement resulted in their being more finicky to load. Lube on those was also a bit messy compared to the others I had on hand.

Once close to zero at about 30 yards with the PowerPunch, my friend Dave moved the target box out to 100 and turned it to the fresh targets on the bottom. (I had been firing 70 grains by volume of T7 FFg - no wad - and stayed with that charge throughout.) Fired several of (another DWB) Batchief's trashcans (a Bob Bowers designed conical that is notoriously accurate) and wasn't doing so good, could have been me or the scope. Observed a difference in recoil in that Bat's had more life coming back at me than the other 2 bullets used. After all my struggles (Cayugad knows about this ) with scope bases and mounts, I was still rewarded with two close encounters and one pretty solid thump just above and twixt the eyes. No blood though.

Switched to the TooTall bullets and had to adjust the scope left due to change in impact point. This is the little Bushnell Banner 1.5x4.5 that I had sent in for repair once before as it didn't seem to hold zero. Their response wassome "20 minutes of arc limitation" crap and basically just sent it back unaltered.......anyway... I've begun to believe this scope has "loose" spots in its adjustments. Things tightened up after the adjustment for Larry's (TooTall's) bullets and I'm thinking that might be a factor in why Batchief's bullets weren't doing all that well. Will have to try those again with another scope mounted.

Now my excuses for this conical clone with none ... My trigger was set a bit heavier than I like and I could actually see a bit of movement on target each time I squeezed the trigger. Very crisp, just more weight than I like when trying to go for the gusto on targets. Reduced it some later when I cleaned the rifle - should be fine now. That little scope setting on 4.5x has never allowed me to produce my best groups on paper,although I did manage a 1 3/8 incher once before.

These bullets are extraordinarily well done. The LBT lube very even and neat, just an overall nice job of bullet making. I hope TooTall decides to send the mold to Bullshop so we can all benefit from its capabilities.

Now that you have read the whole long tale, here's the target with a few editorial additions:

Old 04-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Nice Rifle!!!

Now I want one even more!

Old 04-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Oh Man - when I saw this thread back at the top again, I thought cayugad had really DONE IT AGAIN .. AGAIN!
I was thinking that it's good the snow is melting up there so he wouldn't freeze in his dog house

jaybe
Old 04-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, there are still some of these rifles left in Aurora, Colorado and Phoenix, Arizona Sportsman's Warehouse stores (last I knew). Better getcha one!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

That really is some nice shooting Underclocked. When those bullets are available, let me know so I can order some. Bullshop is going to be real busy making conicals I have a feeling. Speaking of conicals, I'm expecting two more boxes of No Excuse Conicals here today, so I can shoot some more..