Yes, I got an urge and bought another rifle. This time it is one of the rifles I have always wanted so maybe this will end my collection foolishness. It is a White Ultra Magnum M97. It has a 26 Stainless Steel Barrel,..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I done it again... >

I done it again...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I done it again...

Old 03-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I done it again...

I think the .504 measurement came from barrel availability. Doc used the same barrels as you might find on some of the larger bore magnums. I think that is how the .510/.511 groove and .504 land barrels came to be used. Same for the .457/.458 groove and .451 barrels. The .416 Jeffreys barrel was surely the basis for the .410 caliber Whites. The good news in that is, although in the case of the .504 the bore is only a fraction larger than many other so-called .50 caliber barrels (and with those other barrels there is little guarantee of justwhat the realsize your bore will be), the rifles use and have always used a high quality centerfire capable barrel of 4140 (or similar quality), 410or 416 stainlesssteel.The Clerke stainless barrels found on the Ultra Mags are 416 steel, to my knowledge.

Also believe the Gonic rifles were similarly based upon centerfire barrels.

Green Mountain seems to now be doing an excellent job on bore size control and some of the same conicals that shoot great in Whites will also shoot great in some Knights.

"Contrary to genral impressions Stainless steel that is used in the
firearms is not more difficult but is much more machineable than
chromoly. The s/s used in barrel steel is stainless screw stock 416R made
to run on auto screw machines at high speed. The steel used in s/s
actions is 1704, a tougher steel that take more tool pressure but
machines nicely. Stainless doesn't have the tensile strength that a
chromoly like 4340 does. Due to the softness of barrel s/s which is 27
to 29 Rockwell C it will not last as long as 4140 and while it is
believed to withstand heat erosion better I have not found that to be
true. As a summery due the better machine ability, s/s barrels can be
made with closer dimensions and surface finishes. It will produce more
accurate barrels. The sole benefit of fluted barrels is that to some
people it looks neat. If you are lucky a fluted barrel will shoot as
well as or nearly as well as an unfluted barrel. And the gunsmith needs
the money." Gale McMillan

"Our barrels are made from rifle barrel quality, 416-type stainless and 4140-type
chrome-moly steels manufactured in the U.S. All of our tooling is either made in
our shop or by U.S. suppliers." Lilja Barrels website (Lilja are perhaps THE best)

WhiteRifle's (the company)last barrel supplier was to be Krieger (they also make barrels for Weatherby), but that never came to pass for whatever reason.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

I am now told the Sportsman's Warehouse in St. Cloud, MN. has several of these rifles remaining in inventory (both laminated and synthetic stocks).
phone 320-656-0500 and ask for the hunting department.
I think they sold the last 2 today

Steve
Old 03-24-2006, 01:58 PM

Steve - Let me guess, you "done" it too (or should I say "two")?
Old 03-24-2006, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Underclocked should be ashamed of himself ... causing all this turmoil at homes across the country.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bruhaha!!

There are a few more in Aurora, CO.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

So am I to understand there there are NEWWhite Ultra Mag Rifleowners around here? Underclocked has been at it again I hear?
Old 03-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad - when I called, it was bad news/good/news.
Bad news - 2 rifles left both comp stocks - I really wanted a laminate after seeing yours.
Good news was a special price low enough to make me say, "Send em!"

Couple hours later I heard from a big bird about some other possibles - called the Aurora Co store and they had a 299 laminate - once again "send it"

My hunting buddy and a "big bird" now havecomp's coming and I am welcoming a new laminate to the family.

Anyone else better call Aurora SW.

Steve
Old 03-25-2006, 05:00 PM

cayugad
I got the PM thanks
I think I may first look into them BIG conicals you shoot 460 GRAINERS AND SEE HOW THEY DO IN MY THUNDERHAWK 54 CAL.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

That might be all you need lonewolf... Actually my Black Diamond XR shoots them real well. I just needed to sell myself on another rifle...

Steve.. there is such a thing as over kill you know. Sounds like you're trying to catch all the other White Rifle owners collection in one afternoon. Good luck with your rifles and be sure and post a pic of them. I sure like mine.

I shot sabots out of it today and it did a lot better then I suspected it would. I was shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f and some 300 grain Hornady XTP's.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Steve ... I was advised it is a good idea on the laminate stocks to "somewhat seal" the inside of the stock. It was suggested Birchwood Casey Stock Wax was an excellent product to take care of this. I was able to locate that wax at Track of the Wolf. I now have some of that and a lot more stuff (I should never shop on line) coming to the house... Just in case you want to consider that product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.