Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!! >

Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 04:54 PM

Default RE: Snow, Snow, Now I can't shoot my rifle!!!

Holy Crap, thats a load of snow. Been sunny in the low to mid 80's here in Texas. We had no winter. Wish it would do some of that down here. Stay warm Cayugad.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Well the wood stove is loaded and the house is very comfortable. Actually it was real warm here today. I think we hit 30 degrees. At least you did not have to wear a jacket when you were outside working. I got the yard all cleaned and most important the shooting range plowed out!

after I got all the yard cleared, I noticed the wood shop had about five feet of snow on it, so that had to go. A warm snap or a rain on that and you have a real problem. So up the ladder again on the roof. Like I said it was warm shoveling...

Old 03-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

here is our club that is trying to stop this deer wipe out.lawsuits have been filed against the pa.game commission.www.unifiedsportsmenpa.org
Old 03-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

oh my.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Oh my god..... woke up this morning and it was all white out side. Watch the news and reports, that we are getting another 6-12 inches of snow. Holy smoke, in March, man I'm really starting to not like this weather. Oh well, Spring is coming no matter what, so it'll be gone in a month or so.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

i also hate snow.i remember i was hunting buck in late muzzleloader season here in pa. in 1969.i had to wear hip boots as snow was so deep. deer would not even run. i walked up on 12 deer and noticed that 1 had bumps above eye brows. it was buck that lost its horns. it had holes that i bet were 1 and 1/2 inchs accross.this was in jan. the days of seeing 12 deer in one spot are long gone on state forestland.it makes me sad what has happened to our deer hunting in pa.i hope that the DCNR has a special place in hell waiting for them.take care
Old 03-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

There are deer yards up here where when the snow gets too deep they gather. That way they do not have to run around and expel unnecessary energy in the deep snow. The trouble is once they have eaten all the browsing plants and trees, they start to suffer. They are also easy prey to wolves when the yards are found.

When you find a deer yard in the late stages, the deer are laying on the ground often times in pitiful shape. They are starving, and in many cases dehydrated even. Not something you would want to see. That and when you walk around the woods on shoes, sometimes you will run into a deer carcass that the wolves and scavengers have been at. Quite the sight actually.