Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cap won't fire on first try >

Cap won't fire on first try

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cap won't fire on first try

Old 03-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cap won't fire on first try

I guess the cap not fitting on the nipple tells you right there thats where the problem lies. Just for giggles look again at the tin of primers CCI for some reason use the exact same colored tins for both their 10 and 11 primers and I have mixed them up before because I use the 10's for my first set of shots out of my cap and ball revolver and go with the 11's after.

That being said a little metal removal from the nipple can't hurt and may help quite a bit. My methode is a bit different though. I still very carefully put the nipple into a chuck but on a cordless drill and use some 150g wet/dry followed by some 400grit. Do just a little at a time and good luck.

Also RWS primers seem a bit looser as well you may want to try some of them.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

i had a muzzleoader that did this and is was a weak hammer spring. i would get it checked out. cva would probably do it for free.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Good point Charlie I have seen nipples peaned over because of that but I think he said it was also happening with brand new ones. I notice some of the new nipples are tapered quite a bit than they were 10 or so years ago. I wonder if they think we all have 20lb springs now a days or what.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:25 PM

I just wanted to give an update. I ran some emery cloth on thenipple and the caps fit much better. I also ordered a hot shot nipple and that came in today so I went to the range. I fired 25 shots with the hot shot and all fired on the first try! Thanks to all who responded for your help.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Cool!! Glad everything worked out fine.