Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Buckhorn - first trip to range >

CVA Buckhorn - first trip to range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Buckhorn - first trip to range

Old 03-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default CVA Buckhorn - first trip to range

Got out & shot the new rifle today. It is a CVA Buckhorn .50cal. I've already got a Staghorn I've had for four years... got this new one since it appeared to have some improvement and was ridiculously cheap (<$80).

Fired first few rounds with open sights at 50 yards, using 70gr TripleSeven and 385gr Hornady conicals. That isn't my usual hunting load, but I wanted to start off with conicals & modest powder. Rifle shot okay. Moved target to 100yd line, and hit the 6" black circle, then missed it. Shot a dozen-plus of those Hornady 385, then a couple powerbelts. I shot the scoped Staghorn a few time, when I ran out of TripleSeven & and so opened the first of the four pounds of Pyrodex RS I found on post-season sale for five bucks a pound.

Then I moved the bases & Bushell 1.75x4x32mm Trophy scope from the Staghorn to the new rifle. Turns out the bases are diff distance apart - surprise - so had to loosen the rings & fiddle with scope for a few minutes. Once tightened down.. first shot at out of scoped Buckhorn at fifty wasn't even on the paper. Moved target to 25yds, next shot was about a foot to the right of the bull. Surprised. I made sure bases were tightened down, and rings nice and snug... tried again, bullet lands in same place. Had adjust a BUNCH of clicks, to get it on the bull. Five shots later I was there. Moved target to fifty yards - I've now switched to shooting PTX sabots, with 90gr Pyrodex RS- and put three shots through one triangular hole. Yippee!

Running out of time at range; it's getting a little dim. Out to a hundred yards, shot six shots using 90gr Pyrodex & Remington 289gr copper bullet, shooting pretty quickly as daylight faded - didn't give time to cool down or clean quite as well as I could have. The shots landed in roughly a 4" circle as I ran out of light.

I'm pretty pleased; I think this is going to be a good rifle. It has a much better stock, recoil pad, and safety than the old Staghorn; the barrel seems to be a little lighter. And it didn't blow up on me, despite dire warnings of some. I look forward to getting out & shooting it some more, and getting an earlier start. Next time I'll bring some 300gr XTP bullets.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:59 PM

Default RE: CVA Buckhorn - first trip to range

Sounds like a terrific day at the range. Looks
like the CVA is going to be a keeper. And the
price wasn't bad either . Please keep us posted
especially when you shoot the 300gr. XTP's. I
got several of those bullets and will shoot them
out of my Omega if mother nature will stop
sending rain in big buckets. Anyway glad ya got
to go shooting. Good Shooting & God Bless
Danny
Old 03-11-2006, 07:41 PM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like you had a good time. I also have a Staghorn and sure can not complain about the accuracy of the rifle. It is a real shooter to be sure. Good luck with your new rifle.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Fork Horn

Catus Magnus good news on the CVA. Both my BPI guns the optima and apex have never blown up after probably about 500 round between them. BTW they both shoot like tack drivers with the 300grn XTPs and 300grn SSTs good luck and keep us posted.