Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Farthest Roundball Shot >

Farthest Roundball Shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Farthest Roundball Shot

Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Farthest Roundball Shot

What is the farthest roundball shot you have ever taken? What was the game and what happened to it? What caliber and charge were you using?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Farthest Roundball Shot

I am a new comer to roundball shooting and I have killed some targets pretty good at about 80yds but never have shot at game with them. Believe it or not one of the best roundball targets I have ever shot or have shot is at 80yds with the $54 Bobcat I found on sale at Wallyworld. It was just under 3" and it ranked right up there with my best open sight shooting for that range period!!

The only other rifle I have shot as well with open sights is my SKS. I know this is contradicting my other thread about what I am using for the 100yd contest but I feel the Crockett should do better than the Bobcat because gee it cost a lot more[:@]
Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

The two longest shots I have made with a round ball were both around 200paces proable about 185 or 190 yds.
Made them with a Hawken rifle that is a copy of an original ,it has a 35.5 inch barrel and I was using 130gr of FF black[this was before we ever heard of pyrodex]with a 22 thousands ticking patch and a.535 ball one was a deer got both lungs and he went 10 to 20 yds and folded the other was a black bear in canada again both lungs and he fussed and kicked but never left the spot.Lee
Old 03-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

50 yards or so,bucks only,state of pa.t/c hawkins .50 cal ,2 f geox,80/90 grs..490 rb,..018 ptach,bore butter.i dont use rb now , maxi-ball or powerbelt.target use the rb with 70/75 grs of 2f.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

About 65 yards. a Doe fell in her tracks. I was using a Renegade 54 cal. 90gr. Goex 2f w/PRB.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:56 AM

OH, That's easy, 150 yards, 180 grains 2F, 69 caliber .678 round ball,and the quarry was 1.5" thick plywood with a kill zone painted on it. Killed it dead. Haven't gotten to shoot a round ball at an animal yet.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

it is actually more fun to shoot a target than kill a deer.over years i have left many deer go because they had fawn with them or were eating flowers in open field .thats why i hunt bucks only, more of challenge.but now, i have not seen to many bucks do to the doe reduction program here in pa.it used to be about 5 bucks for every 3 hunters now its 1 buck for maybe 50 hunters or more.doe numbers here in wmu 2g are down around 5 deer per mile and some areas its no deerper mile. sad, boy did we have great hunting here in wmu 2g in past.now, its all coyotes.take care
Old 03-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

sproulman: So - are you hunting coyotes now? Seems like that would be a lot of fun, too. Although I don't know how good the backstraps would taste .

Oh yeah - my furthest roundball deer kill was about 60 yards. Hit a doe in the shoulder, and it broke into at least 4 pieces, going through the lungs and one in the heart. It worked, but that made me decide to use something that would hold together a little better.

IM jaybe
Old 03-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

coyote back straps,hmmmmmmmmmmm.anyhow, yes, stay away from roundball for deer hunting UNLESS you are great shot,dont hurry,shoot close and have load accurate. its no fun chasing adeer at 5 minutes till dark on cold windy night and coyotes howling,ha. i like traditions of roundball but in real life, stay with the maxi-ball or powerbelt in flintlocks.my favorites are, 370 maxi-ball/powerbelt 295/348 in .50 cal. take care
Old 03-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Dominant Buck

well I never had a problem with a roundball yet dispatching a deer when I put it in the right spot. The furthest I have ever shot a deer was about 80 yards, perhaps a little further. My friends have shot and dropped deer out past 100 yards with roundball. Roundball are deadly.

Every deer I shot with a roundball dropped where they stood or very close to it. I think the furtherst one ran, with a good hit, was 50 yards. Now there was one that ran a lot further then that but it was because of shot placement. It had nothing to do with a roundball VS a conical. In fact the deer was gut shot with a roundball. Friends and I tracked him over a mile, through deep snow,to where he bedded down in a thicket. He was far from dead but the damage that roundball did, the deer would not have made it through the night.

For a long time I was shooting conical after my roundball adventures. I have now started moving back to roundball, although some of the more modern projectiles are exciting as well....

Quick Reply: Farthest Roundball Shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.