Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dixie/Cabelas

Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Dixie/Cabelas

I realize it doesn't seem like many people have experience with pedersolie's side by side shotguns, but I'm hopeing someone can still answer this question.

I was looking at the shotguns at both cabelas.com and dixiegun.com, and I'm wondering if the shotguns they sell are the same. I'm wondering this because there is a pretty large price difference between the two sites for the guns, and also cabelas.com says " A Cabela's exclusive from Davide Pedersoli", this leads me to believe that the shot gun cabelas sells is a pedersoli model that no one else sells, could be wrong though.

Just trying to decide which site to order from, wondering if the guns they sell are the same. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dixie/Cabelas

I checked out Dixie Gunworks and I don't think the guns are the same. The Cabela's guns have interchangable choke tubes and the Dixie's don't, they are cylnder bore guns. I may have overlooked something so please let me know if Dixie offers the choke tube models. I passed up an opportunity at a Navy Arms Dbl 12 because it was choked full and full. At $500 it may have been a good buy but I really want to be able to change chokes to better fit whatever I may be hunting. Although the Dixie 10ga kit for $500 sure looks good.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:15 PM

I was wondering why you are wanting a 12 guage vs a 10 guage txrookie, whats the advantage?
Old 03-04-2006, 08:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I won't have to sport a black eye for a week when I tell my wife I spent $110 more for the 10ga.And honestly I don't know. I don't know enough about the differences between the two to make an educated decision. This may sound silly but a local gun shop carries 12ga RBs. He doesn't stock 10ga balls and I know I will use roundballs to hunt hogs. Is the 10ga performance that much better?
Old 03-04-2006, 08:30 PM

I don't know. I was reading the review on dixiegun.com and the 10 guage got alot better reviews than the 12, but if cabelas sells a different gun then you can't really go by that. Also, I'm guessing the 10 guage can shoot a larger charge and more shot, but how much more and if its enough to make it worth iti don't know. Do you have the loading specs for the guns? Also, I was wondering, why would dixiegun.com have a more expensive shotgun, wouldn't the one with removeable chokes be more expensive? The gun cabelas sells isn't listed on pedersoli's web page, but I wonder what all the differences are between the two. Is the cabelas version barrel lined on the inside so it can shoot steel shot? I don't knwo, I reallyl want to know the difference though. I would also like to know why dixie has charges the same for every guage, and cabelas guns very 60 in price. Just wondering though, did you see that cabela's has the guns on sale right now?
Old 03-04-2006, 08:34 PM

also where did you see the dixie gun for 500? I'm seeing it at 685.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Dixie gun for $500 is the kit. So, some assembly required! I don't know the load data on the Cabela's guns but I will call them tomorrow and find out. I'll let you know as soon as I can. I won't be home from church until about 1:00 and I'll call as soon as I get in. As far as the barrel, the Cabela's guns are chrome lined and will take steel shot. I wasn't aware of Cabela's having a sale. I checked the web site yesterday or the day before and didn't see any price reductions. I'll ask about that tomorrow as well. If so I hope I can lock the sale price in until my tax return gets here. I may have to drive to Ft. Worth this weekend after all. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:55 PM

That would be great if you could get me the loading specs. Yah I was looking on the website earlier today and the sale wasn't there, but it was this evening. Also, Cayugad pointed out that with some of these guns you have to remove the chokes to load them, I wonder if that is the case with cabelas model since they have the tighter chokes.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just checked Cabela's site it says they are on sale but the "sale" prices listed are the same as the prices in their spring turkey catalog. I almost bought one last year when the price was $579 for the 12ga. I bought a new bow instead and don't regret it but I sure would like to see that price drop back down. As far as removing the tubes from what I understand it is so the wads won't get compressed. I think it would also be good for safety. Remove the choke and don't put it back until you load. If you see the choke is in you know that barrel is loaded.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:05 PM

kind of a pain in the butt, but good point on the safty. I guess the only times you'd really be using the full choke though (probably the only one you have to remove) is when turkey hunting. When bird hunting or shooting clays you'll probably be using a choke that isn't constricted so much you have to remove it to load the gun. Or do you think it would need removed no matter what choke?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.