Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Corrosion test

Old 03-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Corrosion test

Deceptive test!

All the talk isabout the rifle exterior - no mention of what these samples do inside your bore.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:20 PM

what does wd do to blueing? anything?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

I do not see the the test that way at all. Thesepieces of bare metal, like the bore of your barrel, exposed to the conditions (atmosphere). Your bore is exposed to the atmosphere just as these metal plates were unless you are sealing both ends of the bore or putting them in a hermatic vault.

The plates were exposed as is the bore, but I assume the plates were lying flat while your bore is usually verticle.

As I have said, I have used wd-40 on the steel tops of the table saw, jointer, shaper, and other tools for years - both inside and outside - it sure has worked in the shop.

I have never stored a barrel for long periods of time withwd-40, so i can not make a comparison. My centerfires are all stored with a coating of gun grease in the bore, becauseI just do not use them anymore.The bolts have been sprayed withRem-oil - but it is looking likemight be better to use wd-40.

I am surprised that Breakfree CLPdid not do better - just because itis thicker, but maybe it does not displace water that well.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

QTompkins2005

I have not had a problem with any effect on blueing or paint - there was a note about it affecting some finishes - but i have not encountered that yet either. The only thing and reason I have not used it on rifles is because of the everlasting smell - but in the of a ML which you clean out anyway - maybe it might work...

Old 03-04-2006, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a difference to what metals will do exposed to open air versus materials sealed, air-trapped, protective-covered... etc.... etc.

Good gun oils are cheap - average shooter/hunter may use 50 cents of oil per year to properlyprotect a life-long investment-- stuff lasts for 10-15 years in application(s)&is specially formulated for your firearms.

You can purchase the WD-40.... I will pass.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

I've used WD on my guns for at least 30 years and have never had a problem. I spray it on a rag and wipe the metal down, after cleaning the bore I run a damp patch through befoe storage. I'm careful not to get WD on scopes or wood. It definitly won't hurt the blueing.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all boils down to where you store the rifle - how long before you check the bore- amount of moisture in your home -- how well you cleaned the rifle & prepared it for the oil.... plus several other I won't mention right now.

If you want to risk using a product inside your bore that states nothing about preventing rustwith firearms, then be my guest. Knock yourself out.

Also, thousands of folks have lost their bluing and/or wrecked their wood stocks trying to save 20 cents on theirbore-cleaning applications. Use the proper, specialized stuff that comes very cheap to your wallet anyways - instead of taking chances on home remedies/alternate cleaning avenues for inside your bore. I personally don't care what anyone uses outside their bore.... ie... barrel exterior. That area is not difficult to maintain.

The best test to compare an oil like Rem-Oil versus WD-40 is to spray both identical padlocks in Michigan's October - place them on the front of two sheds -- open each one during a rain in December & February -- leave it unlocked & exposed to moisture for a minute or two -- then re-padlock both locks.

When mid-April comes around, unlock both locks & see for yourself which lock will show more signs of corrosions. I will bet the house right now that it won't be the Rem-Oil lock. Both the inside of that padlock & the inside of your bore are similar... ie... closed area on one side with trapped air & moisture havens.

BTW.... I no longer use Rem-Oil on my guns. I use it on my gate & truckhinges -- use it on my garage door opener tracks & stuff like that. I never had a problem with Rem-oil on guns - I just feel other oils shoot truer on first shots.

I now use Breakfree CLP for actions & Sheath for the bore. My gun exteriors (wood & barrel) get treated with a combination of shoes/tent waterproofing spray, Ballistol andEndust furniture polish... ie... 33-33-33 mix that I concocted into an emptyWindex spray bottle.It was kind of funny because after I mixed all three & shook the bottle to mix it thoroughly, I held it away with a pair of gloves on -- not knowing what I created.

Each one of these products is a specialized protective product for different intended uses. It never sees the inside of my bores where individual, isolatedprotectants are better-served to protect an area that we cannot see into on a regular basis & with regularity when storing rifles.

I'm done preaching to the choir on this thread.
See Ya on the next thread trail here.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Phil, another good resource for hardware "stuff", not gun stuff in particular but often a source for odd parts, springs, screws, shims, tubing, anything that might be in a major hardware store is McMaster.com . Their site is a little wormy as far as finding things but you'll get the hang of it. My orders have been shipped at actual cost andfor less than I would have expected.
Awesome UC, this site is going into the favorites.

Thanks, Phil
Old 03-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

T7, have you done any such testing as you suggest? Please post the test results.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

I use WD 40 on all my guns, I ran a test on a cap and ball pistol I loaded all 6 cylinders put caps on and soaked it with WD 40 spraying cylinder down barrel let it soak for over a week, then tested it, guess what all 6
went off no delay.
When black powder hunting I run a patchwith WD40 on it down my loaded barrel to prevent rust.

James M

Quick Reply: Corrosion test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.