Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Spin Jag

Old 02-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Spin Jag

Well, I have looked for one these in all the Sporting Goods stores around here, but never had any luck finding it. Well St8rshooter posted a web address on Graybeard. I followed the link - called the guy on the phone and now have of them on the way. I have 3 different rods that I use constantly - for me they were expensive anywhere from $16.00 to $32.00's - the latter has a rotating handle the other two handle is fixed.

To make a long story short I have broken a few combo jags off because they came loose working the barrel.

Thsi new spin jag will solve my problems + plus provide me with a product that should work well. It is expensive, but is it really for all the aids it will provide me. It will serve to seat projectiles without marring them, It will rotate during cleaning and on a range rod with a muzzle protector it will serve as a short short starter.

My conversation with the owner was great - he truly is concerned about the quality of the product and if the product works advertised. One of his concerns was what I though about short bullets in long sabots - I have been using about the same type of jag already and when I insert it on the bullet I make sur I am inside the petals and it works fine. He addressed all the other questions I had... so I ordered two.

I did do a little comparison with the "super rat" from PR bullets in Canada but decided I liked this one better.

I use it for awhile and get back to you... isthere anyone out there that is using one now?

T7 - I know I violated the rule ask first then buy....

http://spinjag.com/

Old 02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Spin Jag

sabotloader,
I'm looking forward to hear how well you like this spin jag. I've seen them advertised, but I've never held one in my hands.It is a little pricey$$
I've always drilled and tapped my jags tofit a 10-32 set screw. The set screw is stronger than the brass and I leave the jag loose on my range rod. The jag follows the rifling really well. I've never had to replace one of these set ups and I clean for the most part between each shot, so it gets a work out.
I must say that the spin jag does look high tech in comparison.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

Yup and you can leave the T-handle a bit loose as well to do the same thing. If it breaks it is at least on the outside of the bore
Old 02-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I leave my loading jags loose and theyspin when I use them. It's funny now because I automatically re-tighten them after each loading or swabbing. I think what you have there is a good idea. They claim you get better loading abilities. Keep me posted how they work for you.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

PBHunter

In may particular case - I do not have "T" handles, all of my range rods have a round palm handle and I do leave them loose and they get looser. Encoreman's thought about putting in a stonger pin certainly is good option.. the brass threaded pin is pretty weak...

But still one of the main reason's is the jag rotates with the bullet or patch. The jag does not marr the bullet as it turns down in and at the same time the teflon ring at the top helps keep the bullet centered in the barrel - which really can play heck with you accuracy. I guess the top 2 teams at the national ML shooting comps used the spin jag. A good example of that might be loading the 10mm 200 grain bullet in the 50 cal blue sabot - it will not sit in the sabot correctly it actually seats down into the sabot as it is being pushed to the bottom - insuring that is in striaght might be a good thing.

And I agree they are expensive, but for me they might be worth it over the long run with all the shooting in all the different guns that shoot.

Like I say the last and least expensive range rod with the rotating handle that I could find was$30.00 -one spin jag is a lot less than that. An added advantage would be it will spin even though I am holding the rod in my hand as I push the projectile home.

I really think it will work for me.

just another 2 bits worth

Old 02-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

If I may I will give you another opinion about that. I have always used a standard superjag to load bullets and worried about how my plastic tipped bullets were handling it till the first time I tried to use Shockwave bullets.

I could not seat the bullets without putting almost all my weight on the ramrod so after the second shot and not being able to seat the third I pulled my breechplug got a piece of wood put it over the ramrod and beat the bullet out with a hammer. The bullet didn't even have a scratch on it. the tip looked the same as the others sitting in the pack. I still chucked it because I knew the lead must have bent but the tip of the bullet was fine. I got a few new tips with my Omega that I will use loading in the future but so far beating up bullets has not been a problem for me.

I do understand you are more into the sabot testing than I am and I thank you for that quite a bit because I can't shoot as much as you and if you find a big difference using the spin jag let me know!! I, like you want to get the best out of the guns we own and I hope your testing helps the whole crew out here.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

sabotloader,
I should have shown youa picture of the front of my jag. I modified that also to fit the ogive of the projectiles I shoot.
I'm still very interested in your spinjag and how it works for you.

Old 02-28-2006, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

So you found the jag I was telling you about . I also would be intrested in how well it works.
For 9.95 plus shipping I expect to hear great thing about it.

Al
Old 02-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have never broken a jag off, but I sure don't like having to remember to re-tighten them. I have one of the spin jags, and yes they are expensive, but they work really well. Mine never loosens up and it makes loading easier because you aren't trying to push the load straight down ( when the rifleing is trying to turn it). I am sold on them.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't used one yet, as a matter of fact I haven't really used anythingformuzzleloading. I'm a new guy in the sport of muzzy and willing to try new stuff to make my muzzy experience easier. Well, I just order one of these spin jag too for $14.99. From the advertisement it shouldload and cleanbetter than regular jags. Hopefully I'll get here by next week.

Quick Reply: Spin Jag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.