Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Making your on wonder wads. >

Making your on wonder wads.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Making your on wonder wads.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Making your on wonder wads.

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

I'll sell bees wax to the members here for a buck a pound plus shipping. It is nice clean wax. It is selling from 2 bucks to 3 bucks a pound on E Bay.

Al
That a interesting web site. I marked it as a favorite. I have a pretty good supply of wax still but the next time I need some I will be getting a hold of you. Thanks for the kind offer to the members.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:32 AM

what do you use bees wax for?
Old 03-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

what do you use bees wax for?
I make my own bore butter type lube using bees wax.

[/b]
Solid Lube Formula[/b]

2 ounces of Bees Wax
8 ounces of Castor Oil
1 ounce Murphy’s Oil Soap

Using a double boiler system, melt the bees wax. While keeping the wax liquid, heat the Castor oil with the double boiler also. Then mix the two together. Stir them together and while doing this a scum will form. You need to scrap the scum off the liquid. Once the scum is scraped off the mix, then add the Murphy’s Oil Soap and stir fast while it is melted. This will make a nice frothy appearance and very smooth. Pour the mix into containers and it will set up in a couple hours.

This mix will not break down in heat and is still usable in cold weather. It makes a great conical lube.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

interesting post. I guess it all just depends on how much you shoot if it is going to be economical or not roundball.
No question there...I just thought it was worth mentioning, because I think the vast majority of people, even if they shoot year round like I do, use light/moderate targets loads instead of max/near maxloads.

ie: all my target loads of 50/60grns Goex 3F are easily contained with an .018" prelubed pillow ticking patch...could pick them up and reuse them theyre still in such perfect shape.

But hunting loads of 90/110grns is where I like to have a firewall to protect the patch and/orbase of a conical...even a couple $5 bags a year is still pretty low cost...on the other hand, if someone shoots hundreds of full power loads each year, then home made wads might be the way to go for them...
Old 03-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK my question - having never used wads before - Does using a lubed wad eliminate the need to lube the bullet? The type of bullets I use are the REAL bullets and T/C Maxi hunters. The T/C's are already lubed but not the REAL bullets.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

OK my question - having never used wads before - Does using a lubed wad eliminate the need to lube the bullet? The type of bullets I use are the REAL bullets and T/C Maxi hunters. The T/C's are already lubed but not the REAL bullets.
You still need to lube the conical. That protects not only the conical but your bore from leading...
Old 03-03-2006, 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

No, the wad serves a different purpose...mainly a firewall to protect a patch from burning or thebase of a conical from melting, sealing gases behind a projectile more consistently from shot-to-shot, and putting more lube into the bore to reduce / soften fouling, etc, etc.

I've seenposts where some say that they couldn't tell a difference, but frankly, most people us light to moderate powder charges and they probably wouldn't notice significant differences doing that as they're not needed...the real benefit of OxYoke wonderwads shows up withmax/near-max powder charges.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Spike

Cayugad, I going to try making some lube for conicals the way you described,seems like a pretty simple process, any other tips?

Old 03-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use maxi-ball and like the idea that the powder does not get the bore butter from the maxi-ball on it because of the wad.i also like to punch wads. i agree, if you are not shooting a lot, just buy them but i am like cayagug,i like tinkering and giving wads to friends. i must have gave away over 500 last week at range on 1 of our group shoots on a warm day of 50, ha.i liked your idea of using .58 cal wads in the .50cal too.that does seal better.punchs are not 18 dollars, you can get a whole set for 9 dollars at harbor frieght.i wish they went above the 1/2 inch punch as i like the .58 cal wad better. do any of you use 2 wads as said here, dry one and a wet one on powder or is that waste?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: sam52

Cayugad, I going to try making some lube for conicals the way you described,seems like a pretty simple process, any other tips?
This isa reciepe I got off a different forum. A poster named Stumpkiller made this up and shared it with the group. That and the castor oil moosemilk. I used to make the moosemilk with cutting oil. I tried his stuff and really liked the results.

Let me know how it works for you. I think you will like it. If you like it thinner add more castor oil. If you like it thicker add more wax.

Quick Reply: Making your on wonder wads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.