Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bolt action or Break open >

Bolt action or Break open

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bolt action or Break open

Old 02-22-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Bolt action or Break open

??? pros and cons, likes and dislikes ??? Thanks guys trying to make a choice
Old 02-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bolt action or Break open

I had the same concerns when starting muzzleloading. The main concern I have with bolt rifles is that you give up about six to eight inches of barrel length for the same length of rifle. The second concern with bolts is that some are more difficult to disassemble and they must be disassembled and cleaned or they quit working. Most Bolts are less waterproof than most of the break action rifles. Needless to say I don'thave a bolt ML. I bought a T/C Scout then traded it for a T/C Omega (the Scout had a strange nipple), then bought a Traditions Pursuit LT (bad trigger), traded it for a NEF Huntsman (good trade), Then I bought a used T/C Hawken .54 (they don't make it anymore in .54), then I bought a Green Mountain barrel in .50 for the Hawken,then I bought a Lyman trade rifle in .50 flintlock. I hunt with the Omega which isa great gun but some (mine in particular) are difficult to find the correct combination of bullet and sabot that will load without maximum force on the ram rod and mine also hates Tripple Seven powder. WithBlack Mag'3 powder it is a joy to shoot.For limited expense I would recommend the Huntsman although I have not shot mine yet others claim that it is a real shooter. You can get one for the same cost as the Spanish imports and the construction is a lot more solid using american steel and a barrel that does not have the proofing questions that the Spanish imports have.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:10 AM

I own both an Omega and a couple Knight Disc Extremes. My Disc Extreme in 50 caliber is my favorite. The two piece bolt is easy to dissasemble and clean and takes only a little longer than my Omega. My Extreme 50 with an inch shorter useable barrel length (25 1/2" vs 26 1/2" for the Omega)is 2 inches longer overall.

Pesonally if I were getting into muzzleloading today I'd start with a Knight Disc Extreme or Elite if scopes are legal. The reason? Cost. A lot of folks have sold or are selling their bolt actions. You can pick up a $500 gun for as low as $200 or less. Just because they're not as popular as they once were doesn't mean that they're not good rifles.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

snowman69

I am a bolt person have been since bolt ML became available. I have 7 or 8 traditional side hammer percussions also and they are great. But in the case of an inline and it being 2006 - I do not think I would buy a bolt, in fact i didn't. I also avoided the break open - I really like the one peice stock for strength and accuracy. I think the best improvement to ML's has been something old or the return to something old - something akin to the rolling block action. They are really strong accurate and easy to care for -lot less moving parts...

just my 2 bits....
Old 02-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I do not own a break open but I do own a Knight Disc rifle. I personally do not find the bolt all that big of a deal to clean. And when it comes down to accuaracy, this Knight rifle is a shooter. I also own a couple of the old old striker system inlines and actually do not find them all that serious of a problem to clean.

I'm sure the break open is easier to clean just by looking at it. But with some of the deals presently on the Knight Disc Elite it would not take me long to decide where my inline muzzleloading dollar would be spent.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like my bolt actions. If I found cleaning an issue I would just op for a T/C Renagade or some other side lock. Remove the barrel from the stock remove the nipple and stick it in a pail of scalding water and dish soap and pump. Do it again to rince andbe done but for the oiling.

I like to fondle and cress my rifles so cressing a bolt I don't find as a chore.
Guns are also things of beauty, and some like the skinny buck toothed ones and some like the huge jiggley ones it's all inwhat your taste are.

Al
Old 02-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Problem with many breakopens is no provision for cleaning the firing pin assembly. The Encore makes such provision and you can remove the entire action from the buttstock with relative ease- but doing a thorough cleaning on an Encore takes just as much time as a bolt gun.

I like to KNOW everything on a muzzleloader is properly cleaned and that is just not easy orpracticalto accomplish withmost breakopens.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

UC

You know what you are speaking and I am in agreement - even my break open trap guns present the same problems....
Old 02-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Snowman.....Are you kin to Jerry Reed???

My inline is a 1996 Knight Disc...If I bought a new one it would not be a break open...it would be an Omega...But..I wouldn't get rid of the Knight...As these guys have mentioned there are some advantages to a bolt rifle...I'll add a couple of more that I like...1)Trigger is adjustable on a Knight...not an Omega 2)Screw safety....while some don't like (because they forget to set when ready)...I love it...with a screw safety you know the firing pin can't hit the primer until you unscrew...3)Discs...unlike the commercials...I like them, they are easier to handle than the bare primers, they just pop in and out...carry a half dozen extra in your pocket and same amount of quick loads and you are ready to go...Although some say you shouldn't, I do reuse mine a couple of times, and have done so for the 10 years I have owned this rifle...I store extra powder, bullets, quick loads, primers etc in my gun case with the rifle so there is no way I leave home without them....And I also agree with the cleaning...non-issue to me...It might take another 5 minutes...big deal...The sweet trigger on a Knight makes it worth it to me...

I could probably get happy with an Omega, but as well as my Knight shoots, I'll wait until T/C finishes getting the bugs out...

PS....Does anybody else wonder what the heck Knight is doing with Marketing??? Read the above posts...most guys are still very happy with their Knights....And yet, we all know the Omega has to be outselling them what 5-1??? Maybe we should offer our services to Knight and put them back on top!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:28 PM

Well I have two break-open ML's and one bolt that
is a Knight. I like the Omega its easy to clean &
a great shooter. I also like my CVA Beartooth it is
easy to clean 45cal. and shoots powerbelts like they
were on a rope. The firing pin, is not a problem
for me to clean. I'm also an amateur radio operater.
So I use a hypo-needle filled with a high grade
contact cleaner, then blow excess away with a can
of compressed air. Like the man said "some like blondes"
"some like reheads" My advice go to a local gunsmith
or Sportingoods store & shoulder every ML they have
then make your decision.

Quick Reply: Bolt action or Break open

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.