Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Just to be different >

Just to be different

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just to be different

Old 02-20-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Just to be different

Haveany of you guys tried seating a 28 gauge wad with shot (pellets, BB's, lead, steel - you get the point) in leiu of a projectile down a .50 muzzleloader? I know that ML shotguns exist, but I am thinking of trying this with my Kentucky rifle 1:66 twist. I have NO expectation of accuracy (especially with no choke and the whole rifling thing), but forchickens of oppurtunity who are stupid enough to allow me to close this distance to the point where I could dispatch them with harsh language.....

It would be a pathetic substitute for a proper shotgun, but the Cool Factor would be in the high 8's if not low 9's.

Suggestions, blessings, cautions, warnings?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Just to be different

You have to have a .54 to do that. Been there done that on a survivel march in wisconson 30 years a go. Lee
Old 02-20-2006, 10:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally would not suggest anyone shoot shot out of a rifled bore. The reason is you will probably get no consistency in accuracy or patterns, it is possible to damage the bore of the current rifle, and the amount of shot you will be shooting would work for very small game only. The smallest smoothbore I think is a .56 caliber that was offered through T/C arms. I was always curious how well the smoothbore shot.

I personally shoot a .62 caliber smoothbore.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:25 AM

I shared your same itch a while back. Bought the wads and all. I could not get a 28 gauge wad in my knight, close but would not go. As lee said it will fit in a 54 but i felt it was linda loose in my opinion, and I got what someone else said and that was with rifled barrel you get a donut pattern. What I want to do is buy a cheap 50 cal. and have it choked and smooth bored to 28 gauge. I found a shop out of state that will bore it for sixty bucks plus shipping. and then I will have it choked at my local shop. I just havent had the money or the good looks from the wife yet.