Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cure for Tight Bore >

Cure for Tight Bore

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cure for Tight Bore

Old 02-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cure for Tight Bore

Kudos to LEMOYNE and SABOTLOADER for helping me find some bullet/sabot combinations that I can load in my CVA/BPI Beartooth .50 cal.
When I first got the gun, I had purchased some .430 x 300 gr. XTP's on the recommendation of others that they were a very good bullet and accurate in most inlines. The problem - I couldn't find ANY sabot (including Crush Ribs) that would allow me to load them without MAJOR rod bending (with my very first combo -first time I took the gun out -Ihad to actually pound it down with a piece of 2X4). I had similar results with a Remington 295 gr JHP/sabot combo.
Both of these guys helped me discover that by going to a LARGER bullet (.451 or .452) and using either theHarvester HPH-24 or Crush Rib sabot, I was able to start them with my thumb(s) and push them down with a fair amount of pressure, but not excessive. Now I have many options available, whereas before I thought I was limited only to PowerBelts.
A good lesson to learn from some great guys!

IM jaybe
Old 02-16-2006, 11:24 AM

Default RE: Cure for Tight Bore

Yes I would have to agree, sabotloader helped me
find a sabot/bullet combination for my tight-bore
Omega. And others as well with the solution for
removing rough spots in the barrel. It is awfully
nice to find so much help here. So I'll join in with
a thank you. Good shooting & God bless..Danny
Old 02-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

ALL

That is the greatest thing about this forum - everyone is out to help everyone.... It doesn't matter what projectile, which gun, or even which type of gun - we all try to help and I really think that is cool....
Old 02-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

sabotloader,I agree, IF we stick together we can not only help each other but also deal with those rich idle busy bodies that would end hunting if they could. Lee
Old 02-17-2006, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader-I agree.Everyone here has something to share and something to learn.We all help each other,and that makes our sport more enjoyable for all.

Charlie
Old 02-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

I also have to thank Sabotloader and Cayugad and everyone else for sharing their knowledge. I've got one of those tight bored Omegas. Following their advice I've ordered some T/C conicals, crush rib sabots, and Butch's bore shine. I should have the order this week and see how things work out.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

bsteve-I finally found a good shooting easy loading combo for my tight bore Omega.250gr nosler SHOTS. They are a .451" 45colt pistol bullet-hollow point copper jacket with a rim of exposed lead. Bulk bullets at Gander Mt.are $15.99/100,and I bought .451 Nosler sabots from Midsouth.They group well at 100yds with 90gr 777-2f.I swab after every shot with windshield washer/alcohol 50/50 mix,and they load with just a steady push. Sabotloader was kind enough to steer me to this load.He says the Nosler 260gr partition shoots the same.Only difference is partitions cost $37.00/50.Great for hunting,but pretty steep for targets.

Charlie
Old 02-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I might give them a try if I can't get acceptable results with Shock Waves.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chasam60

Do me a favor if you can. Turn that Nosler sabot and look at the bottom of the sabot. Is the cup stepped or is it smooth? The last Nosler sabots that I ordered were stepped, while the orginal Nosler sabots were smooth cups. There is a difference in size (thickness).

Old 02-20-2006, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Sabot-Both are stepped.The ones from Midsouth are a couple years old and packaged as Nosler for .451" Do you know if Dell makes these?

Charlie

Quick Reply: Cure for Tight Bore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.