Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What RoundBall?

Old 02-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What RoundBall?

What RB do you guys like? Has anyone tried the coated Baffalo ones? What do you thinkis the best?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What RoundBall?

I heard the uncoated Buffaloes are the softest lead. I am presently using Speers - known for their top uniformity & grain size closeness from bullet-to-bulet in that 100-pk box. I also have Hornadys but have nothing good or bad to sayabout those.

I didn't know that the old Remington Gold roundballs were made by Buffalo. I always wondered who was producing Remington ML bulllets in the past. Sounds like it was Buffalo Bullet Co. I think the Gold ones were designed to offer the same shapeat little further distance & penetrate deeper... ie... harder!
Old 02-04-2006, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Speer, Buffalo Bullet, Hornady, and home cast in that order for accuracy. The Buffalo Bullet are a real soft lead like Triple Se7en said. I am sure they would get some excellent expansion.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Speer, Buffalo Bullet, Hornady, and home cast in that order for accuracy. The Buffalo Bullet are a real soft lead like Triple Se7en said. I am sure they would get some excellent expansion.
I've always used Hornady reloading machines,bullets, productsall my life...so I started withHornady round balls...tried afew boxes of Speers over the yearsbut couldn't tell any difference...and as much as I shoot, the Hornday's are usually a couple bucks a box less so that's good too...and finally,every deer I've shot with a Hornadyball has gone home with me so I guessHornady will always bemy first choice, Speer second.

Irecently stumbled across an outstanding deal on 16 boxes of Remington"gold colored" .570's...they loaded muchharderthanmy Hornadys and turned out they actually mic'edaround .575-.576... but I got them for $4.50/box delivered and they're fine for shooting steel targets at the range...I have no reason to seek out Remingtons as longas Hornady or Speer are available.

PS: To show you how out of touch the Remington sales people are about muzzleloading,their advertisements for the gold covered leadballs said "it would prevent leading in the bore"...
Old 02-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I bought some of the gold covered Remington Roundballs a long time ago and never really cared for them. They shot all right. I even killed a deer or two with them. I always wondered what the gold color was, whether it was paint, or what...

Old 02-05-2006, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use hornady's .490 dia round balls with a pillow ticking patch over 60 grains loose pyrodex RS and a cci 209 primer in my 50 cal CVA hunterbolt. I havent felt the need to try any other brand since this combination produces 1 inch groups at 50 yards. and 2 inch groups at 100 yards.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

I use hornady's .490 dia round balls with a pillow ticking patch over 60 grains loose pyrodex RS and a cci 209 primer in my 50 cal CVA hunterbolt. I havent felt the need to try any other brand since this combination produces 1 inch groups at 50 yards. and 2 inch groups at 100 yards.
That's incredible!

I can understand 2-3" groups at 50 yards using roundball/patch in a fast twist with a light powder charge, but yours is not light (60 grains) - plus your groups are 1".

Your 100 yard groups are phenomenol at 2". I am flabergasted by what you are getting. It blows the whole theory of needing a slow twist barrel& most consistent,real blackpowder right out of the water.

Seriously! You should apply for the Guinness Book Of World Records.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:13 AM

I am fond of the Warren roundball
Old 02-05-2006, 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I bought some of the gold covered Remington Roundballs a long time ago and never really cared for them. They shot all right. I even killed a deer or two with them. I always wondered what the gold color was, whether it was paint, or what...
I thought it was supposed to be some sort of copper wash to cover the lead back when the lead scare was all the rage...I don't think it's anything as substantial as whatwould be called 'plating'...then Remington added: and it'll prevent leading your bores too..........wonder what they think the patch is doing all this time
Old 02-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Roundball I agree.. if the ball is protecting the barrel from being leaded.. why do we need a patch around it. Last I looked on the ground in front of me, the patch is still going out the end of the barrel with the ball.

Actually, my homecast roundball are very good shooters. I must have hit some good lead because I was shooting them the other day out of my .50 Hawkins and the accuracy was most impressive...

Quick Reply: What RoundBall?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.