Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 double barrel 50 cal >

double barrel 50 cal

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

double barrel 50 cal

Old 02-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default double barrel 50 cal

Does anyone make a double barrel 50 cal M/L and is it legal to use? Or would it be legal to use? EJ
Old 02-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: double barrel 50 cal

Pedersolli or Cabela's makes a double barrel called the Kodiak. Whether it is legal to use, you would have to check your state regulations. Some states do not allow a double barrel muzzleloader.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are legal here in Maryland. I have had two. In fact, I have one for sale on consignment in a local gun shop right now. In my experience you get one accurate shot if your rifle only has one sight. The second barrel is great for a quick "finisher" shot if needed. They are heavy to carry but they are cool to mess with.
HTH
Old 02-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pedersoli makes one its available at Cabela's. I think its called the Kodiak double rifle. It is available in several different calibers. All of them are percussion sidelocks I think. I know they are legal in TX. Check with your local warden. I always try to get info from the local game warden rather than call the state. The local guy is always good to know, they are a wealth of information and who knows when you might need his help.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:52 PM

The double barrel guns aren't legal in Colorado. What you need is a minimum wage gun bearer to follow you around with a couple of spare muzzleloaders all loaded and capped. Sort of like the golf caddy handing you a club
Old 02-03-2006, 08:55 PM

Yes,
Cabela's lists the Kodiak Double Express in 50, 54, 58, and 72 Caliber. From 829 to 859 bucks. Pretty fair price, I would say.

But, could you imagine shooting that 72 cal sucker!!!!!
Got to kick like two mules.
How about if ya fanger slipped and ya let go both barrels at ONCE!!!!
OMG!!!!!!

It would probably knock yer butt about as far as the deer!!

But, I have to say, I wouldn't mind havin one in 50 cal. It has a 1 in 24' twist and would probably shoot sabots pretty well.

R
Hank

Old 02-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Typical Buck

Roskoe, thanks for the legality. Colorado doesnt allow hardly any convenience do they? Well, I am working on my first elk and might contemplate muzzleloader. I am gonna try bow, I just want to hunt earlier this next year. Fraid I dont know what I am doin. EJ
Old 02-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

I also cannot answer your question regarding legality in your state. They are legal in Michigan where I live. However, I can wholeheartedly agree with the other guys when they recommend Pedersoli. Five years ago I began a bit of an obsession with Pedersoli black powder doubles, both shotguns and double rifles. Since that time I have searched for and acquired Pedersoli doubles all the way from a 10 ga. with choke tubesup to the .72 caliber Kodiak. They are very well made. The double Kodiak's are awesome on deer...and bear. Two years ago I decided to take my .72 cal out. I took a trophy whitetail and a black bear that year. In both cases the round ball went completely through and left a blood trail like I have never seen before. It is after all about equivalent with the diameter of a 12 ga. shotgun and throws something like a 680 grain round ball. They are highly (did I say very highly) accurate. I just got a .58 caliber Kodiak on trade. I don't know why the guy let it go. I don't think it has ever been shot. If you have an interest, drop me an email ( [email protected] ). I would also pull the others out of the gun safe to see what I have. Thereprobably is a50 caliber in there and possibly a 54. But this 58 is an outstanding piece. Oh, as far as kick?...there really is none to speak of. These guns are quite heavy and even the 72 doesn't kick as hard as a 12 ga. You will never be happier than using a Pedersoli. Good Luck!
Old 02-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I am currently fiscally challenged but in the near future I might look you up on the matter! Thanks, EJ
Old 02-04-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ejpaul1

Does anyone make a double barrel 50 cal M/L and is it legal to use? Or would it be legal to use? EJ
Your personal profile or location-information is missing. Hard to help someone who doesn''t offer information in his posts.

Generally speaking, those Pedersoli rifles are heavy & not very accurate beyond 75 yards or-so.... especially the bruiser 58-caliber.

Buy a single-barrel ML. If you are hunting nearby-homeprivate land, load two MLs in your deer blind if it;'s legal in your "unknown" state. Or.... buy a pistola to have next to you should you just injure the animal & need a fast 2nd shot.

Quick Reply: double barrel 50 cal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.