Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What Projectile do you shoot? >

What Projectile do you shoot?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What Projectile do you shoot?

Old 02-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Projectile do you shoot?

Whatprojectile do you shoot out of your muzzleloader? What are the results in both killing game(what game)and target accuracy? What is your powder charge with it?
Old 02-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What Projectile do you shoot?

Shot 3 deer this year with 250gr SST over 110gr 777-2fg. Excellent results.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just made a switch to Hornady Great Plains hollow points, 385gr.In the 3 weeks I've been shooting this bullet I've killed 3 feral hogs, 120, 175, and, 250 lbs. respectivly. WHAT FUN!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:39 PM

Hornadt 250 SST, with a max load of IMR 4759, out of a Savage ML ll. This combination has takenthirty white tails in the pastthree seasons.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:44 PM

WHAT:
Flintlocks and patched round balls

RESULTS:
Dragged out everydeer I've shot with them

POWDER CHARGE:
90grns Goex 3F
Old 02-02-2006, 08:35 PM

I have used quite a few bullets in the twelve years I have been MZ hunting. For Colorado hunting, I have primarily used the 350 grain Maxi-hunter ahead of 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and lately the 410 grain Hornady Great Plains ahead of 120 grains of ffg T7. The latter load has turned out to be a pretty good elk load.

When hunting in the Colorado rifle seasons or in New Mexico, I use sabots. The Barnes 250 Expander MZ is possibly the most lethal MZ bullet out there. I used three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets with it and was never disappointed. Except that the load, with the Barnes sabots, is very hard to load in cold weather. The past couple of years I have been using the 250 T/C Shockwave ahead of 130 grains of Pyrodex pellets (two fifties and an thirty). This load kicks less, loads a lot easier,and has about the same trajectory. It seems to work pretty well from a terminal ballistics standpoint. And the groups are as good as many CF rifles.

I have some 300 grain Speer Gold Dot's that my gun shoots pretty well that are just itching to be tested. I saw one of these that came out of a bull elk, fired from a .454 Casull, that looked impressive. And this past week, I tried some 200 gr. Shockwaves with some Jim Shockey Gold fffg that shot very well. Also intend to try these on game at some time in the near future. So many bullets, so little time . . . . . .
Old 02-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Dominant Buck

What bullets and powder chargedepends on what rifle and what I'm hunting. There are a lot of choices in life. The best part is making the right one at the right time..
Old 02-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Last couple of years have gone with the 250gr SST over 110 gr T7 ffg loose. It has accounted for 8 deer from 20 to 200 yards, all 1 shot kills withfew yardscovered after the shot. All were complete pass thrus except the 20 yard one which dislodged the copper jacket from the lead, lead penetrate to the oppiste hide and jacket was inside the body cavity. So as far as game performance happy! Accuracy is good as well.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use T/C's 240 grain XTP/Mag sabots they shoot great from my CVA hunterbolt over 2-50 grain pyrodex pellets they group on average of 2 to 3 inches at 100 yards and they deffinately did their job on 2 missouri whitetail and 1 kansas mule deer, nice dime size entrance with a golf ball size exit and a bunch lung mush inbetween. Later this week im gonna try out a new idea using harvester sabots and hornady sabots with various pistol bullets and see what good combinations i can come up with to maybe replace my xtp/mag sabots since I can no longer find them since both walmarts in my area stopped carrying muzzle loader stuff. if anyone has any advice on good bullet/sabot combinations im all ears.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:34 AM

I HAVE TAKEN DEER WITH THE POWERBELTS, BUT
THE LACK OF BLOODTRAIL, I DON'T LIKE. I ALSO
USE THE T/C SHOCKWAVES BUT I WAS NOT
IMPRESSED WITH THE WAY THEY SHOT IN MY
OMEGA. SO I'M GOING TO USE THE 300GR. BARNES
EXPANDER WITH THE HARVESTER CRUSH RIB SABOT
ON A SPRING HOG HUNT.I CURRENTLY USE2-50GR
777 PELLETS WITHTHE REM. KLEENBORE 209 PRIMERS.
THE ACCURACY IS GOOD.BUT WHEN ICAN GET BACK
TO THE RANGE I'M GOING TO PUSH THE EXPANDERS
WITH 150GR. 777. MY 2-CENTS.....

Quick Reply: What Projectile do you shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.