Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hawkens From Cabelas >

Hawkens From Cabelas

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hawkens From Cabelas

Old 01-30-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hawkens From Cabelas

How do you guys like the Hawkens rifle from Cabelas? Is it a good rifle? What is the warranty on it? Would I be better off with a TC?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hawkens From Cabelas

The wife bought me one in .50 about 9 years ago. I love it. Good shooter easy to clean. Don't remember anything about the warranty. I don't have the money for T/C so I always go for the cheaper stuff and have never felt bad about it. Would buy another one in a heartbeat.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

They are made by InvestArms in Italy. Good quality and nice rifles.
I have a 50cal "Cabela's" that I scouped up at a garage sale for next to nothing. Nice rifle and it shoots well also.

Warranty is a year I think.

As to if you would be better off with a Thompson/Center, I have no idea.

You may end up a little more "on your own" with a foriegn made rifle. Not saying that they are not decent quality, but they are not Thompson/Center in quality or service.

Depends on what your willing to spend and what your expectations are.

With a T/C, you have their lifetime warranty. And with T/C's exceptional service it's really next to impossible to beat.

Were me buying and money was more of an obejctand a great deal on a Cabela's/Investarms Hawken came my way, I would not hesistate. If money was less an object then I would look more towards a T/C.

Tahquamenon
Old 01-30-2006, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

What Tahq said is right on the money there Sharp Shooter. I will say that a friend of mine many years ago now, bought a Cabela's .54 caliber Hawkins Rifle and it is not only a beautiful looking rifle, and the wood to stock was excellent, but it was a great shooting rifle as well. Very nice to shoot. I remember the first year he hunted with it he dropped a nice seven point with a roundball at about 50 yards. You'd of thought be won the lottery he was so excited.

If I found a good deal on one, I would sure buy one. In fact I kind of did because I own a Lyman Trade Rifle in .54 caliber which is made by Investarms, the same company. It is a well made great shooting rifle.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:00 AM

I have had two Hawken style muzzleloaders from Cabelas, one flint and one percussion, both in a .50 cal.
I was not overly impressed with the flint, mainly because I had so many misfires. Now, keep in mind I was new to muzzleoading at the time, so whether I was doing everything "right" or not is another story in itself, but I did notice I never got that much spark from the thing, even with newer and better flints.
Now, regarding the percussion, I loved that thing, shot well and never gave me a bit of trouble. A few things to watch for though. They have a nifty little screw near the nipple, which you can remove to clean. If you do, MAKE DAMN SURE you get yourself the right sized screwdriver, cause they like to strip (hence the reason mine was returned). I think an eyeglass screwdriver is what is really needed, and something every hunter should have one of regardless of archery, rifle, or black powder.
Regarding the warranty, Cabelas is known for excellent customer service. When I returned my percussion (hence the reason I got a flint) they took it back, credited my account, all without any problem at all.
Id say got for it, I prefer T/C, just because of the LIFETIME warranty and EXCELLENT customer service you get!!!!!!
So, if you can go T/C, otherwise Cabelas is your best bet.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Campo

When you get it back just change the little dinky screw out a allen head set screw - they work really well.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the looks of the patch box on the Cabelas. I think it would be worth a TC for the lifetime warranty. I would go thru Fox Ridge to get a 54cal.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you need to do to finish the brass on this kit form T/C? Also, it is only 50cal. Do you think if I got this I could sell the 50cal barrel and replace it with a 54cal barrel? What do you need to do to finish the stock?

http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/detail.cfm?section=16&subsection=149,169&p roduct=3431
Old 01-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

What do you need to do to finish the brass on this kit form T/C? Also, it is only 50cal. Do you think if I got this I could sell the 50cal barrel and replace it with a 54cal barrel?

http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/detail.cfm?section=16&subsection=149,169&p roduct=3431
Thebuttplate, patchboxand nosecap will have a rough surface and some high areas from the casting. You have to draw file the extra metal from the high spots, and the entire surface, to smooth it out. Then polish it all up with steel wool. It's really pretty easy.

FWIW, I think the Cabela's Hawken, which is made by Investarm, as others pointed out, is of equal quality to the T/C. However, T/C's warranty is the best, so the decision for me would be if you were willing to pay the extra for the warranty.

The T/C .50cal Hawken barrel is a 15/16", across the flats,and all T/C .54cal barrels are 1" across the flats so you can't replace the .50cal barrel in the kit with a T/C .54cal barrel, but Green Mountain makes 15/16" replacement barrels for T/C Hawkens in .54cal. These same barrels will also fit the Cabela's Hawkens. The T/C barrel in their kit also has the QLA at the muzzle, which many don't like for roundball. If you are planning on shooting roundball, and you go with the T/C kit, I would suggest you inquire about getting a barrel without the QLA. You might also inquire about getting a 1:66" twist barrel, which T/C does makeand is a better roundball shooter. The Green Mountain barrels are 1:70" twist and are excellent roundball shooters.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fox Ridge has 54cals for Hawkens to.

Quick Reply: Hawkens From Cabelas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.