Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Notes

Old 01-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Powder Notes

I was puting some info I found interesting in my shooting log today and I put it on hereto see if any body else found it interesting.
APP or Gold 100gr. volume 2F or 3F all weigh 85gr. on my scale.
I have a T.C. 150gr volume measure and a beam balance scale.
Just for a comparison I weighed a 100 gr. volume measure of Pinnacle FF
it weighed 92 gr.
If there is any differance in the way App and Gold shoot other than the normal differance between 2F and 3F,I have not found it yet. While Pinacle is not only different in weight but I think a bit faster.
Your thoughts on the matter ? Lee
Old 01-28-2006, 08:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Powder Notes

You people and your scales..Really interesting information, especially if that was put over a chronograph.

I guess I am going to have to get me one of them scales. I have been looking at an electronic PACT BBS scale. I just have not found enough information on it yet to validate my purchase decision.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad,be careful of the digital ones I payed over 3 bills for one and it drifts so I went back to the balance beam type.
I hesitate to put info from my Crony on it was a cheaper model to start with and it is old. as a for instance its telling me that I am getting close to 2400 fps with 3 sticks of APP and a 200gr Shock Wave sounds like a lot of fps to me. Lee

Old 01-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I have looked at a Lyman Balance Beam scale also. In fact one afternoon I bid on three different ones on E-Bay but they were asked a couple buck less then I could have bought a brand new one for. I thought, what's the use of looking for a deal on E-Bay when I can buy it at the local reloading shop for five bucks more. Then if it don't work I know who to go and grab....

The other day I was shooting 120 grains of loose Triple Se7en and the 200 grain Shockwave. I have no idea how fast they were going, but there was sure some down range thump from that load, and the accuracy was very good too..
Old 01-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cayuqad, actually I think you could 0 in at 50 yd and measure the drop at100yd and put it through JMB balistic calculater on the web and get the volicity with out a chronograph. Lee
Old 01-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have a link for the JMB calculator? And how would it account for each different type of powder? Most calculaors have to have at least muzzle velocity to be able to figure the ballistics.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Txhunter,The link
http://www.mega.nu:8080/traj.html
It takes a bit of work as its not designed that way;just match a center for a tight group dead on "0" at 50yd shoot a good group at 100yd at the same aiming point use that to measure the deop from 50 to 100 [center to center on the groups] set the calculater for a 50 yd "0" change the volicity till you match the drop. You need to use a bullet you have the BC for. Lee
Old 01-29-2006, 11:26 AM

I did the same check on the Jim Shockey Gold last night. 100 gr. by volume of the ffg weighs 82.0 grains (average of five). Same volume of fffg weighs 83.5 grains. Looking at this stuff closely, it almost appears as if it was made in one big batch and then poured through a screen. Thepowder that falls through is 3F and the stuff that doesn't is 2F . . . ?

When I get my chronograph repaired/replaced, I plan to measure some of this out by weight and compare for extreme spread of velocity.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would almost bet that is the case its the way they used to make black.
As for a grain or two differance in our volume measures I doubt that is unusual,I have a half dozen and no two are exactly the same,one was so far off I threw itaway.
The sticks vary more than my volume measure and still group well,I am playing with weighing loads but I am not sure you gain anything by it.
Take Care Lee
Old 01-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

anything that is digital never seems to work for me.i would stay with the balance beam scales .mine is 45 years old made by rcbs.it works fine.i bought a little 5 gr.brass weight that i put in the pan to ZERO the scale on at 5 grs.then i make all the adjustments. make sure the SCALE is level. i use a little line level you use at work for on a string to do cement work. i also weight every speer bullets.some are off a little and i keep them for practice.2 best bullets made are SPEER/SIERRA. stay with those. sorry i got off blackpowder a little here, ha.been reloading for 40 years, take care.

Quick Reply: Powder Notes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.